As price of insulin soars, Americans caravan to Canada for lifesaving medicine

• Platinum Contributing Member

And therein lies part of the problem...people don’t know the true cost of healthcare in this country. Reminds me of people with union gold healthcare telling others to shut up and pay up...the system is fine.

Watch out for acid attacks up there ...

A female victim has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an acid attack in the city’s Wallace-Emerson neighbourhood.

Emergency crews responded to a hazmat call an address on Lansdowne Avenue, just north of Dupont Street, at around 3:30 p.m.

A Toronto Fire Service spokesperson said two people were injured after acid was thrown at them.

[link to toronto.ctvnews.ca (secure)]

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Pete said:

insulin is life saving medicine. Id be dead by now if it wasn't for insulin. It use to be pork insulin but now its synthetic. Fuck lilly

This is a big part of the problem from what I've read. As long as they keep making small improvements to the synthetic stuff they are allowed to keep patent rights, which means no generic. I think the canadian cheaper version is a generic because their laws are different.

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
32 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You pay probably 25% so your plan costs your employer 18,000.00 after you pay 6,000.00.

What does insulin cost on the bottom plan of mandatory Obamacare 

16 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

This is a big part of the problem from what I've read. As long as they keep making small improvements to the synthetic stuff they are allowed to keep patent rights, which means no generic. I think the canadian cheaper version is a generic because their laws are different.

Patents pertaining to Canadian drugs are wisely filed in the USA so the laws are the same.  Patent replacement is a huge deal for the drug companies.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ask a diabetic if they can live without their insulin. 

You missed the point as per usual

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

You never cease to prove your ignorance daily here. This one is a gem. Jesus your a fuckin stupid bastard

So Insulin can only be purchased in Canada? Let me ask you why isn't Insulin cheap in the united states? Obamacare fixed this problem right? 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, jtssrx said:

You missed the point as per usual

So Insulin can only be purchased in Canada? Let me ask you why isn't Insulin cheap in the united states? Obamacare fixed this problem right? 

Yeah OK....Explain it to me because I’m curious. Also The ACA gave more people access to health Insurance...it has nothing to do with what drug companies charge for their product.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah OK....Explain it to me because I’m curious. Also The ACA gave more people access to health Insurance...it has nothing to do with what drug companies charge for their product.

The point is people like MC and now you apparently praise the fuck out of Obamacare. Meanwhile, Obamacare did ZERO to address the real issue which is the cost of the care itself. But dipshits like MC cheerlead Obamacare which is fucking useless. If the cost of care was reduced you wouldn't need insurance. 

4 hours ago, jtssrx said:

Going to Canada to buy drugs isn’t life saving medicine you fucking cunt

If youre a diabetic it is. 

Tell one to stop taking their insulin and you've committed murder

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

The point is people like MC and now you apparently praise the fuck out of Obamacare. Meanwhile, Obamacare did ZERO to address the real issue which is the cost of the care itself. But dipshits like MC cheerlead Obamacare which is fucking useless. If the cost of care was reduced you wouldn't need insurance. 

And we all know that competition will drive down the cost of healthcare. :lol: 

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

That's what happens when drugs no longer have patent protection.

Evergreening. There’s never any need for patent expiration. :lol: 

Health technology. Highest margins in industry. Average is 21-26% 

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There is a cost for everything, even to avoid death.:bc:

SURE IS

Given the ongoing devastation of the opioid crisis, you might expect that naloxone would be widely available at a low price. Not so. A decade ago, a lifesaving dose of naloxone cost $1. Today, that same dose costs $150 for the nasal spray, a 150-fold increase. A naloxone auto-injector, approved in 2016, costs $4,500.

Pharmaceutical innovation hasn’t driven up these prices. Opportunity has.

Market forces are working from opposite directions to boost the death count from opioids. In the midst of this crisis, lethally potent street drugs are increasingly affordable and available, while their lifesaving antidote, naloxone, is increasingly expensive and difficult to obtain.

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

SURE IS

Given the ongoing devastation of the opioid crisis, you might expect that naloxone would be widely available at a low price. Not so. A decade ago, a lifesaving dose of naloxone cost $1. Today, that same dose costs $150 for the nasal spray, a 150-fold increase. A naloxone auto-injector, approved in 2016, costs $4,500.

Market forces are working from opposite directions to boost the death count from opioids. In the midst of this crisis, lethally potent street drugs are increasingly affordable and available, while their lifesaving antidote, naloxone, is increasingly expensive and difficult to obtain.

It’s free in Canada. 

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

SURE IS

Drug companies are smart.

20 years ago start the pandemic of opioid addiction.  Get people hooked beyond belief.

Mass produce a drug used to keep people alive when they take to many opioids then bang they go back and get more opioids.

Just now, revkevsdi said:

It’s free in Canada. 

Free to whom?  Nothing is free, someone is paying for it, but as usual you think that since it didn't come directly from your wallet, it's free.

2 hours ago, jtssrx said:

The party you support shuttered the Democrats on prescription drug prices you idiot. Massive Republican fail like you.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

And therein lies part of the problem...people don’t know the true cost of healthcare in this country. Reminds me of people with union gold healthcare telling others to shut up and pay up...the system is fine.

and then claim bootstraps.

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Free to whom?  Nothing is free, someone is paying for it, but as usual you think that since it didn't come directly from your wallet, it's free.

Free to the poor fucker that needs it.