As price of insulin soars, Americans caravan to Canada for lifesaving medicine

Corporate greed controls the Republicans in Congress.....

The Americas 

By Emily Rauhala 
June 16 at 2:52 PM 

As their minivan rolled north, they felt their nerves kick in — but they kept on driving. ... At the wheel: Lija Greenseid, a rule-abiding Minnesota mom steering her Mazda5 on a cross-border drug run. 

Her daughter, who is 13, has Type 1 diabetes and needs insulin. In the United States, it can cost hundreds of dollars per vial. In Canada, you can buy it without a prescription for a tenth of that price. 

So, Greenseid led a small caravan last month to the town of Fort Frances, Ontario, where she and five other Americans paid about $1,200 for drugs that would have cost them $12,000 in the United States. 

“It felt like we were robbing the pharmacy,” said Quinn Nystrom, a Type 1 diabetic who joined the caravan that day. “It had been years since I had 10 vials in my hands.” 

Emily Rauhala writes about foreign affairs, with a focus on Canada, for The Washington Post. She spent a decade as an editor and correspondent in Asia, first for Time magazine and later, from 2015 to 2018, as China correspondent in Beijing for The Post. In 2017, she shared an Overseas Press Club award for a series about the Internet in China. Follow https://twitter.com/emilyrauhala

I’m very lucky to have the insurance I do. I use 2 bottles per month and it costs me $30. It’s well over $100 because as Lilly says “ cause we can” referring to charging what ever the hell they wish 

14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Corporate greed controls the Republicans in Congress.....

The Americas 

By Emily Rauhala 
June 16 at 2:52 PM 

As their minivan rolled north, they felt their nerves kick in — but they kept on driving. ... At the wheel: Lija Greenseid, a rule-abiding Minnesota mom steering her Mazda5 on a cross-border drug run. 

Her daughter, who is 13, has Type 1 diabetes and needs insulin. In the United States, it can cost hundreds of dollars per vial. In Canada, you can buy it without a prescription for a tenth of that price. 

So, Greenseid led a small caravan last month to the town of Fort Frances, Ontario, where she and five other Americans paid about $1,200 for drugs that would have cost them $12,000 in the United States. 

“It felt like we were robbing the pharmacy,” said Quinn Nystrom, a Type 1 diabetic who joined the caravan that day. “It had been years since I had 10 vials in my hands.” 

Emily Rauhala writes about foreign affairs, with a focus on Canada, for The Washington Post. She spent a decade as an editor and correspondent in Asia, first for Time magazine and later, from 2015 to 2018, as China correspondent in Beijing for The Post. In 2017, she shared an Overseas Press Club award for a series about the Internet in China. Follow https://twitter.com/emilyrauhala

I guess Obamacare isn’t working that well, eh?

:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
41 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

25 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

What was the price pre Obama care?

Really has nothing to do with The ACA.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-is-the-cost-of-insulin-rising-and-what-can-people-do-about-it#High-deductibles-and-high-prices

In MI people have been crossing over from , Port Huron to Canada , (d)etoilet to Canada , Soo MI To Soo Canada for decades for RX's, Hell that corrupt to it's core insurance co + d.c. dem PAC group aarp sponsors bus trips to get them.  If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor , if you like your health  care you can keep your health care, we the corrupt dem party must pass the health care bill , so we can read the health care bill , demobama care will reduce  the cost of healthcare for hard working families, We will tax Cadillac health care insurance to help bring down the cost to average working families.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The high deductible plans some are forced to get with a limited pool do though.

But really, this is insulin.  It’s not some miracle cancer cure. It sure be accessible and affordable.  Fucking big pharma taking full advantage of everything as usual.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

But really, this is insulin.  It’s not some miracle cancer cure. It sure be accessible and affordable.  Fucking big pharma taking full advantage of everything as usual.

Just watch in the run up to the POTUS election which party will cash in . The dems  are flocking to their Wall Street dembankster  slave owners as we type.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Taking full advantage and then some 

it’s one thing to make a good profit but it’s another to charge extortion prices just because they can 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

it’s one thing to make a good profit but it’s another to charge extortion prices just because they can 

Price should be lower under the rules of supply and demand cuz diabetes is an epidemic now new insulin prescriptions every day they must be making tons of it :guzzle:

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Our system is ridiculous.  But, I don’t pretend to have an answer that is perfectly feasible and certainly won’t pretend that letting the government take it over is at all a good thing.

22 minutes ago, bladefever said:

I thought Donald Trump said the Canadians were flocking down to the States awhile ago. Because our health care system doesn't work......

Screenshot_2019-06-16-20-37-23-1.png

That’s the exact insulin I use 24/7 365

40 years now 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:bc:

Many in Canada can afford their meds. 

Even though it’s a public system, unless you have insurance or are covered under social assistance or disability your paying 100%

Just now, snopro31 said:

Many in Canada can afford their meds. 

Even though it’s a public system, unless you have insurance or are covered under social assistance or disability your paying 100%

We get a surprisingly fair share down here for treatment.  Not really sure why though.  Specialty stuff or lack of wait times I guess.  :dunno:

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

What was the price pre Obama care?

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Those god damn republicans!!!

F460BE03-2BAE-4313-849D-12E27DACC6B0.png

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

The 2 idiots above have no clue as usual who has voted down reducing prescription costs.

Fuckin dumbasses

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

3 hours ago, hwytohell said:

In MI people have been crossing over from , Port Huron to Canada , (d)etoilet to Canada , Soo MI To Soo Canada for decades for RX's, Hell that corrupt to it's core insurance co + d.c. dem PAC group aarp sponsors bus trips to get them.  If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor , if you like your health  care you can keep your health care, we the corrupt dem party must pass the health care bill , so we can read the health care bill , demobama care will reduce  the cost of healthcare for hard working families, We will tax Cadillac health care insurance to help bring down the cost to average working families.

2 hours ago, bladefever said:

I thought Donald Trump said the Canadians were flocking down to the States awhile ago. Because our health care system doesn't work......

Screenshot_2019-06-16-20-37-23-1.png

This must all be fake news.  Donald Trump promised that everyone would be covered at a fraction of the cost.