America Is Stuck With a $400 Billion Stealth Fighter That Can’t Fight

Just now, revkevsdi said:

Can’t educate people, reduce carbon emissions  or provide healthcare. But we can blow em up real Guuud 

I’m all for a strong and efficient defense. This thing is a lemon. 

On 6/13/2019 at 8:55 PM, frenchy said:

Funny how the entire western world is unanimous on them being their only option as their next gen fighter. 

But spin says they suck. 

Ohhhhh.  Who to believe. 

The problem is they are trying to make one platform that can replace, a carrier based fighter, a Harrier type of fighter, and an air superiority type of fighter.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:22 PM, spin_dry said:

I’m all for a strong and efficient defense. This thing is a lemon. 

Yea I have to disagree with the Lemon part.   We have had lemons in the past.

the first prototype F14 crashed short of the field due to a hydraulic leak that you can actually see on the film which lead to the loss of control and crash.  the second prototype had a hydraulic failure during it's first carrier landing. Just about every F14 I have seen in flying condition is leaking something from somewhere even to the point where they have catch pans under the plane on the tarmac. It was an expensive plane to buy and Maintain (the Maintenance cost lead to it's early retirement) and it had a very long shake down before it was deployed. There were restrictions on engine operation (climb restrictions during non combat) and a host of other problems many of which were never sorted out. This is what a lemon looks like.  The F35 has a variant that can take off and land vertically, Has very advanced stealth features (most advanced on any fighter currently flying or even proposed), Is equipped with a glass cockpit that has no equal (360 passive and active detection with synthetic aperture radar for real time all weather ground targeting) and it has been a world beater at Red Flag which is the best measure short of combat. But hey you read an article in VOX or DU so it must be true.   

• Like 1

Let's have "Bama" explain DAS to the class.  Just about every other fighter in the world needs to put it's radar in the direction of what it is hunting for not the case in the F35. plus this is just the thermal imaging side of the system which means it's Radar does not have to be on giving away it's location.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Yea I have to disagree with the Lemon part.   We have had lemons in the past.

the first prototype F14 crashed short of the field due to a hydraulic leak that you can actually see on the film which lead to the loss of control and crash.  the second prototype had a hydraulic failure during it's first carrier landing. Just about every F14 I have seen in flying condition is leaking something from somewhere even to the point where they have catch pans under the plane on the tarmac. It was an expensive plane to buy and Maintain (the Maintenance cost lead to it's early retirement) and it had a very long shake down before it was deployed. There were restrictions on engine operation (climb restrictions during non combat) and a host of other problems many of which were never sorted out. This is what a lemon looks like.  The F35 has a variant that can take off and land vertically, Has very advanced stealth features (most advanced on any fighter currently flying or even proposed), Is equipped with a glass cockpit that has no equal (360 passive and active detection with synthetic aperture radar for real time all weather ground targeting) and it has been a world beater at Red Flag which is the best measure short of combat. But hey you read an article in VOX or DU so it must be true.   

Why should I take the word of some guy on a snowmobile site? Even those in the defense dept have crowed and bitched about this headache. I’ll stick with that. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Why should I take the word of some guy on a snowmobile site? Even those in the defense dept have crowed and bitched about this headache. I’ll stick with that. 

Because like the F14 there are political forces on both sides of the F35.  The F14 was born out of a political doctrine developed by a secretary of defense McNamara.  One size fits all defense procurement which lead to the US Navy to reject the F111 and sent them back to the drawing board to hastily make a plane for fleet defense.  Boeing/MD lost big in the JSF contract and they have used problems and delays to feather their own nest by extending the F18 and F15 programs.   I try and compare the F35 to planes in the past that have for political reasons succeeded or failed not just on their merits. The B36 peacemaker comes to mind as well as the F20 tigershark. The F35 has a set of abilities that are at least a decade or two ahead of what else is out there right now so ironing out it's bugs is a no brainer.    As it sits now just the F35B would be worth it as well as the sensor systems that could end up in other planes.

• Like 1