Boat Registration

DeezNutz

Hi all, it's Ben.

So I was to pick up a new boat today, and I texted the guy and asked if he forsure had an ownership for it. He says he just has a bill of sale from the original owner and he never registered it. 

He said the VIN is clean and intact, and he would gladly provide it to me to look up. 

He has 3 boats and says he's never put one of them in his name and never been asked by the police for an ownership. 

If I search up the vin and it comes back clean am I good to go with a BOS? Looking back on it, I have never been pulled over in a boat so I'm not sure what I do and dont need. 

The old registration numbers used to begin with characters like 59E which if I recall correctly identified the office it was registered by. The newer registered boats it seems are similar to the U.S. where they begin with the province of registration such as ON. At least that is the way I understand it.

We see the OPP out on our lake fairly often and they tend to do checks for safety equipment randomly. We were checked this past summer and we were told that we needed to have the paper registration of the boat just like you do in a car for the "newer" registration format. We didn't have it but he let us go since our registration was the older format and we had all the other safety equipment, including batteries for the flashlight (had to prove it worked).

We were able to educate the officer though since we had the Coast Guard Safe Boating Guide with us. He started insisting that because of the size of the boat we needed to have flares and ours were outdated. I showed him in the book the exemption. If you are on a body of water where you can't be more than one nautical mile from shore you don't need flares. With all the islands etc. we can't be so don't need them where we were.

Edited by 02sled

1 hour ago, Taillight said:

does he have a vessel permit?

Guy doesn't have a clue what he has but he's looking, I'm going to call the police and run the vin and as long as its got a clean title I'll grab it and worry about it over the winter. 

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

The old registration numbers used to begin with characters like 59E which if I recall correctly identified the office it was registered by. The newer registered boats it seems are similar to the U.S. where they begin with the province of registration such as ON. At least that is the way I understand it.

We see the OPP out on our lake fairly often and they tend to do checks for safety equipment randomly. We were checked this past summer and we were told that we needed to have the paper registration of the boat just like you do in a car for the "newer" registration format. We didn't have it but he let us go since our registration was the older format and we had all the other safety equipment, including batteries for the flashlight (had to prove it worked).

We were able to educate the officer though since we had the Coast Guard Safe Boating Guide with us. He started insisting that because of the size of the boat we needed to have flares and ours were outdated. I showed him in the book the exemption. If you are on a body of water where you can't be more than one nautical mile from shore you don't need flares. With all the islands etc. we can't be so don't need them where we were.

Thanks 02!

20 hours ago, 2strokemerc said:

You should ask Odot1 if he checks for ownership when he pulls boats over.

We do...  The fine CAN be (meaning not always issued...rarely in fact) over $300.

19 hours ago, 02sled said:

Not exactly true..  although the guide does refer to shore the actual regulation states that islands are NOT counted as shore line.  Just a heads up.  Semantics really and would most likely be dismissed by a JP.  Just want to be sure the most factual information is out there.

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

We do...  The fine CAN be (meaning not always issued...rarely in fact) over $300.

But there is no Provincial or Federal "Ownership" for a boat, only Coast Guard registration of their issued vessel # and corresponding permit.

So I bought the boat, I have never met a more honest seller in my life. Not only did he sell a flawless boat for nothing he just started throwing free shit in with it and told me anything goes wrong, we will come grab the boat and fix it. 

He just gave me a bill of sale, I will figure the ownership out over the winter. 

4 hours ago, Tinker said:

But there is no Provincial or Federal "Ownership" for a boat, only Coast Guard registration of their issued vessel # and corresponding permit.

Yes, its true...but it's commonly referred to as an "ownership".  The fine is for failing to have that registration with you...as is the fine for failing to register the vessel..

42 minutes ago, 02sled said:

The link I provided has what to do if you don't have the registration. Look at the frequent asked questions. You won't be the first or the last in the situation 

I'm busy as heck here so I just read over it quick. 

From what I see a BOS is valid proof of ownership? 

1 minute ago, DeezNutz said:

I'm busy as heck here so I just read over it quick. 

From what I see a BOS is valid proof of ownership? 

Are you talking about proof that you own the boat for say enforcement purposes or to obtain the vessel registration.  If for enforcement, no.  You are required to have the boat registered in your name.  You may keep the numbers currently assigned to that vessel however.

14 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Are you talking about proof that you own the boat for say enforcement purposes or to obtain the vessel registration.  If for enforcement, no.  You are required to have the boat registered in your name.  You may keep the numbers currently assigned to that vessel however.

Gotcha, so that link is just valid proof of ownership for obtaining a vessel permit?

What documents can I use as valid proof of ownership?

To establish proof of ownership, we accept documents that contain the following information:

• name, address, and signature of previous owner;
  • name and signature of new owner;
  • description of the pleasure craft (make, model, and other details requested on the application form);
  • hull serial number (HIN) or compliance label number (if available); and
  • pleasure craft licence number (if already licensed).

Documents that we consider to be valid proof of ownership (depending on the application type) include the following:

• bills of sale
  • statutory declarations
  • wills and bequests
  • separation or divorce agreements
  • court judgments
  • signed agreements of transfer of ownership (sale/purchase agreement)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DeezNutz said:

So I bought the boat, I have never met a more honest seller in my life. Not only did he sell a flawless boat for nothing he just started throwing free shit in with it and told me anything goes wrong, we will come grab the boat and fix it. 

He just gave me a bill of sale, I will figure the ownership out over the winter. 

I have some prime real estate for sale if your interested.  Its a bit soggy, but nonetheless prime.

1 hour ago, DeezNutz said:

XpFOJ6l.jpg

Hktacmi.jpg

Nice boat.

No "ownerships" for boats, as Tinker said.  Just TC Vessel Licenses.  You can easily obtain that, just submit the seller's information on your application. 

I'm actually surprised LEOs accept Vessel Licenses as proof of ownership (they're not).  There is no title document as in the U.S. 

Sean, is there legislation that requires the Vessel License to be transferred to the new owner's name?  If so, what is the timeframe? 

Edited by Puzzleboy

16 hours ago, odot1 said:

Yup...  On the right track. Take everything you have and obtain the registration for the vessel in your name.  Keep a copy on board and you are good to go!!

I was just going to ask but you answered my question. I keep a "copy" wrapped in plastic on board.

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

No "ownerships" for boats, as Tinker said.  Just TC Vessel Licenses.  You can easily obtain that, just submit the seller's information on your application. 

I'm actually surprised LEOs accept Vessel Licenses as proof of ownership (they're not).  There is no title document as in the U.S. 

Sean, is there legislation that requires the Vessel License to be transferred to the new owner's name?  If so, what is the timeframe? 

There is a timeframe...however I just can't recall it off the top of my head right now so I don't want to give out an answer unless I'm 100% certain.  Will get back to you on that Puzzle..

23 hours ago, Tinker said:

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

I just bought a used pleasure craft. How do I transfer the licence to my name?

Modifications to the Small Vessel Regulations, s. 103 have changed the Pleasure Craft Licensing process:

• 103. A pleasure craft that is the subject of a transfer of ownership may be operated until the day on which the new owner of the pleasure craft receives a transferred licence, up to a maximum of 90 days from the day of the transfer of ownership, if documents are carried on board confirming the name and address of the new owner and the date of the transfer of ownership.

To transfer a Canadian licensed pleasure craft to your name, you have two options in submitting your request - You can request a request for the transfer of the pleasure craft licence number online (electronically) through the Pleasure Craft Electronic Licensing System, or you can submit your “Application for a Pleasure Craft Licence” form, by post.

In short yes you have to have it and needs to be in your name, if you don't you get a $300 ticket like my wife received at the end of August. (was out on simcoe in a pleasure craft). In general they(police) will call this an ownership even if most of us know it as a vessel license, the wording has changed over the years, i just went through this all on the lake.

• Like 1