Basic lawn tractor recommendations????

I don't have  very big lawn, but I also do my neighbors from time to time and his lawn is about an acre. I'm looking for a basic lawn tractor to mow with. I've been looking at the John Deere E120 and the Cub Cadet XT1 LX46.  Any recommendations?

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I don't have  very big lawn, but I also do my neighbors from time to time and his lawn is about an acre. I'm looking for a basic lawn tractor to mow with. I've been looking at the John Deere E120 and the Cub Cadet XT1 LX46.  Any recommendations?

Out of those two I would choose the Cub Cadet.  The XT2 version will have a couple of extra features over the XT1 version.  I have a Craftsman Pro Series 46” which basically the same as the XT2 version of the Cub Cadet (same manufacturer) but it adds a steering system that is touted to have like a 16” turning radius or something.  The John Deere’s don’t seem worthwhile to me until you get into the 300 series which are also way more expensive.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

I always consider what I can find parts for in 15 years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Out of those two I would choose the Cub Cadet.  The XT2 version will have a couple of extra features over the XT1 version.  I have a Craftsman Pro Series 46” which basically the same as the XT2 version of the Cub Cadet (same manufacturer) but it adds a steering system that is touted to have like a 16” turning radius or something.  The John Deere’s don’t seem worthwhile to me until you get into the 300 series which are also way more expensive.  

I have that tight steering thing on my crapsman also . i love how they tout that as a new thing . as a kid my grandpa's old arins and old bollins would turn the tires all the way almost 90% 

Edited by Ez ryder

2 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

I was looking at the XT2 LX42 but nobody around here has them in stock :(

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

in the basic lawn shit are they all not more or less the same mtd with a diff hood and paint ? 

I think JD makes their own stuff, but not positive.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

I always consider what I can find parts for in 15 years.

A good dealer is another important consideration :thumb:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

There must be a JD dealer near you. They will sell a small lawn tractor at the same price as HD......at least they did 15 years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

46” is definitely the right size choice so I’d hold out for that whichever you choose. 

• Like 1

this spring i was looking at big box store tractors for the cabin . then a bud sold me a 2015 walk behind 48 exmark .he rotates his shit out every 4 yrs this thing was not used a whole lot .750 hrs 

cost me about what I was going to pay for a junk tractor 1600. and I know I will have this for life . my cheep tractors have always been 10 yrs max 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

There must be a JD dealer near you. They will sell a small lawn tractor at the same price as HD......at least they did 15 years ago.

Yes, Harvest Equipment in Newport is a big JD dealer. They have a bunch of stuff in stock. Everything from small mowers to big ag equipment. They did quote me the same price as HD on the mower. I sent them an email last night to see if they were also offering a free cart like HD. Haven't heard back from them yet. I'll probably still buy from them if I go JD even if I have to pay extra for the cart.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Whatever you do dont buy a Deere especially and E series, Giant pile of shit, I wouldnt buy a cub either also a pile of shit.. Simplicity makes a great tractor..Check out the Hustler Raptor or Dash also..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, Harvest Equipment in Newport is a big JD dealer. They have a bunch of stuff in stock. Everything from small mowers to big ag equipment. They did quote me the same price as HD on the mower. I sent them an email last night to see if they were also offering a free cart like HD. Haven't heard back from them yet. I'll probably still buy from them if I go JD even if I have to pay extra for the cart.

I'd have to look thru my records as to where again, but some years back I bought a 26 HP 54" Cub Cadet from a wholesale supplier who sells new 1 or 2 year old left over models for a much reduced price, I did have to use my John Deere farm tractor to unload it from a Semi..I had 26 properties that I took care of at the time..now I have a 54" RZT Cub Cadet with 4 wheel steering, I only do my own yard now which is a bit over 5 acres but most is Forested so I really cut about an acre and a half.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Whatever you do dont buy a Deere especially and E series, Giant pile of shit, I wouldnt buy a cub either also a pile of shit.. Simplicity makes a great tractor..Check out the Hustler Raptor or Dash also..

Too be honest, I have owned 3 Cub Cadets and have never had any issues, in fact the 2 I sold are still in use after 28 years now, sold them to a guy who uses them commercially, he does many of the properties that I use to do and I see him in this area every week.

• Like 1

Just an FYI, cub is made by MTD,..some photos of my cross reference,..By golly, Cub uses the same part #'s as MTD.. see the ones I marked,.. exactly same

IMG_20190524_090231992.jpg

IMG_20190524_090204735.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I just checked out the Simplicity line and they start at $2500. I'm trying to keep it around $2000.

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Too be honest, I have owned 3 Cub Cadets and have never had any issues, in fact the 2 I sold are still in use after 28 years now, sold them to a guy who uses them commercially, he does many of the properties that I use to do and I see him in this area every week.

30 years ago cub made a great tractor, id rather have a 30 year old cub than a 3 year old cub..

I've been in the outdoor power equipment industry for 25 years, Deere and cub are piles of shit. Simplicity makes a very good tractor

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I just checked out the Simplicity line and they start at $2500. I'm trying to keep it around $2000.

It's worth the extra $500, trust me. The cub and Deere E series you are looking at are just MTD

• Like 1

Yes, MTD now makes Cub Cadet, some years already, some parts are interchangeable, not all though, I sell Mower parts but no longer do customers repairs, shocking how many of these companies are owned by a single company, example: Electrolux owns Rally, Poulan, Johnsereds, Husky, American Yard products, Weed Eater, and Frigidaire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

30 years ago cub made a great tractor, id rather have a 30 year old cub than a 3 year old cub..

I've been in the outdoor power equipment industry for 25 years, Deere and cub are piles of shit. Simplicity makes a very good tractor

I just checked the local dealer. They just have the Zero turns in stock so that isn't going to work. I just heard back from a dealer that has a Cub Cadet XT2 LX 42 in stock. Is the XT2 that much better than the XT1? Is the Cub Cadet better than the Deere?

4 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

52 years for me.

• Like 1

I think yard machines are like tools, if you use them like a regular consumer and are not too hard on them, they will work fine and last for many years.  If you use them in any other fashion, go to a dealer (or buy a pro product) and spend some money for some shit that is made for some abuse.

I bought a “high end” Cub Cadet rider years ago from Lowe’s to help me maintain about three acres of rough terrain.  It was the wrong choice.  I did learn to weld though!

Crocky-I guess you just need to decide what kind of shape yours and your neighbors yards are in.  Easy, grassy, rockless  relatively flat, cutting them dry.....anything should work for years and years.  Anything other and I’d rather buy a used commercial grade than something new from a box store.

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I think yard machines are like tools, if you use them like a regular consumer and are not too hard on them, they will work fine and last for many years.  If you use them in any other fashion, go to a dealer (or buy a pro product) and spend some money for some shit that is made for some abuse.

I bought a “high end” Cub Cadet rider years ago from Lowe’s to help me maintain about three acres of rough terrain.  It was the wrong choice.  I did learn to weld though!

Crocky-I guess you just need to decide what kind of shape yours and your neighbors yards are in.  Easy, grassy, rockless  relatively flat, cutting them dry.....anything should work for years and years.  Anything other and I’d rather buy a used commercial grade than something new from a box store.

Mostly flat without any rough terrain. I have a small hill that will take 2-3 passes, but that's it. I wouldn't mind a 46" mower for the neighbors, but I think the 42" would work better for me. Since I'm buying it for me I'm leaning toward the 42".

37 minutes ago, ckf said:

I bought my last rider and current tractor from a JD dealer. Rosencrantz in Kensington, nh

• Like 1