U.S. Beer Industry Blames Trump Tariffs for 40,000 Job Losses

Source: Bloomberg

The U.S. beer industry is blaming a jobs hangover on the Trump administration’s tariffs. 

A report by two trade groups showed U.S. beer-industry jobs dropped 40,000 since 2016 as metal tariffs boosted aluminum-can costs, leading to a drop in investment. The biennial study by the Beer Institute and National Beer Wholesalers Association said direct, indirect and induced jobs fell to 2.19 million in 2018 from 2.23 million in 2016. 

“Aluminum tariffs are increasing brewers’ costs and are an anchor on a vibrant industry,” Jim McGreevy, the chief executive officer of the Beer Institute in Washington, said in an emailed statement. “Each brewer is deciding for themselves how to absorb that expense, whether it’s raising prices, laying off workers or delaying innovation and expansion.” 
Aluminum traders expect higher costs to ship metal into U.S. Midwest 

The shipping and logistics charge for delivering aluminum to the U.S. Midwest, known as the “premium,” more than doubled as Trump slapped a 10% tariff on imports of the metal. Molson Coors Brewing Co. estimated last year that the levies would create a $40 million hit to its bottom line.

Read more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-23/u-s-beer-industry-blames-trump-tariffs-for-u-s-jobs-decline

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Source: Bloomberg

The U.S. beer industry is blaming a jobs hangover on the Trump administration’s tariffs. 

A report by two trade groups showed U.S. beer-industry jobs dropped 40,000 since 2016 as metal tariffs boosted aluminum-can costs, leading to a drop in investment. The biennial study by the Beer Institute and National Beer Wholesalers Association said direct, indirect and induced jobs fell to 2.19 million in 2018 from 2.23 million in 2016. 

“Aluminum tariffs are increasing brewers’ costs and are an anchor on a vibrant industry,” Jim McGreevy, the chief executive officer of the Beer Institute in Washington, said in an emailed statement. “Each brewer is deciding for themselves how to absorb that expense, whether it’s raising prices, laying off workers or delaying innovation and expansion.” 
Aluminum traders expect higher costs to ship metal into U.S. Midwest 

The shipping and logistics charge for delivering aluminum to the U.S. Midwest, known as the “premium,” more than doubled as Trump slapped a 10% tariff on imports of the metal. Molson Coors Brewing Co. estimated last year that the levies would create a $40 million hit to its bottom line.

Read more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-23/u-s-beer-industry-blames-trump-tariffs-for-u-s-jobs-decline

yeah that or people don't drink as much piss water seeing as there is a local brew,house in every fucking town 

like the cum stains at Bloomberg would ever grab a  6 pac Michelob over a growler to sit around and act smarmy at a gathering 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Unreal.  Trump needs to stop global warming.  What an ass!!!!!

No, global warming. People hotter. Hotter people drink more beer. See the blame lies with these global warming fucks. They overcorrected.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Carlos Danger said:

I buy almost exclusively from local breweries now and I sure I am not alone as there seems to a new one on every corner.

1/2 the people I know drink something that I never heard of 10 yrs ago.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

I buy almost exclusively from local breweries now and I sure I am not alone as there seems to a new one on every corner.

It is absolutely booming here.  I mean BOOMING!

Just now, steve from amherst said:

1/2 the people I know drink something that I never heard of 10 yrs ago.

Hell, I can easily drink 3-4 this weekend I never heard of before.

• Gold Member

Everybody being a brewmaster in their garages is what is causing corporate beer to cut jobs....  notice how no craft beers come in aluminum....  it’s just the big beer corps which have been losing out for sometime

• Gold Member

Beer jobs loses under Obama......  here are a few off the 10’s of thousands of job loses under Obama in the beer industry.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/closing-millercoors-plant-affects-economy-throughout-rockingham-county-video/article_b3470c56-decf-551a-86dc-5b1ad2d93dc8.html

Edited by BOHICA