***Official Firearms Thread***

I don't know why we don't have one here anymore, I know a lot of you guys shoot. 

Anyway, I'll start by bragging up my latest 308 build. 

20" Proof Carbon Fiber barrel, titanium BCG, woven CF handguard, 3d printed titanium grip, polymer lower receiver. 6.47# dry.

Probably going to paint the rest of it to match the od green lower, or maybe do a grey/green camo pattern, not sure yet

IMG_20190522_033547708.jpg

Edited by motonoggin
  • Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I don't know why we don't have one here anymore, I know a lot of you guys shoot. 

Anyway, I'll start by bragging up my latest 308 build. 

20" Proof Carbon Fiber barrel, titanium BCG, woven CF handguard, 3d printed titanium grip, polymer lower receiver. 6.47# dry.

Probably going to paint the rest of it to match the od green lower, or maybe do a grey/green camo pattern, not sure yet

IMG_20190522_033525209.jpg

Nice.   What you trade for it?   Boat rides?  :poke:

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Nice....I'm selling the .224 Valkyrie I built and keeping the 6.5 grendel. Much prefer the grendel.

Next gun will be another shotgun before summer

Autoloader? 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Nice.   What you trade for it?   Boat rides?  :poke:

No, money. 

28 minutes ago, DUMPY said:

Why .308 over something with better ballistics? Ammo cost?

And availability and selection and cost to shoot. Also .308 can perform very well at distance if that's your thing. 

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

And availability and selection and cost to shoot. Also .308 can perform very well at distance if that's your thing. 

It can but there’s a lot better rounds. Cheap to shoot for sure. If you know your gun really well then a flatter bullet isn’t as necessary. 300 mag is a lot better round though 

1 hour ago, DUMPY said:

Why .308 over something with better ballistics? Ammo cost?

Cost, availability, shtf considerations, etc. I do want to build a .260 or 6.5 cm bench gun but it'll be heavy as fuck. 

38 minutes ago, DUMPY said:

It can but there’s a lot better rounds. Cheap to shoot for sure. If you know your gun really well then a flatter bullet isn’t as necessary. 300 mag is a lot better round though 

300 winmag doesn't fit in a 308 AR frame. They make larger framed AR's but they are sold as complete rifles only. And they're heavy. 

41 minutes ago, DUMPY said:

.300 is only better if you wanna kill stuff out 1000 yards......308 will ring steel just as well

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

@motonoggin what's up with the woven grip, you like?

I haven't shot it yet, but as far as holding onto it, it feels great. I wasn't sure if I'd like the looks of it or not, but I decided I might as well show off that barrel underneath. I don't put a ton of shit on my handguard anyway, so I just needed to add a qd sling mount to it. It's surprisingly stiff and light. Pretty amazing. 

54 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Hand warmer.

Yeah I'm thinking gloves might be a good precaution for range days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

I haven't shot it yet, but as far as holding onto it, it feels great. I wasn't sure if I'd like the looks of it or not, but I decided I might as well show off that barrel underneath. I don't put a ton of shit on my handguard anyway, so I just needed to add a qd sling mount to it. It's surprisingly stiff and light. Pretty amazing. 

Yeah I'm thinking gloves might be a good precaution for range days. 

It actually should be too bad if you aren’t cycling to quickly.  Lots of air getting in there.  Got a HD barrel on it?

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It actually should be too bad if you aren’t cycling to quickly.  Lots of air getting in there.  Got a HD barrel on it?

It's a heavy profile but it's carbon fiber wrapped. Lighter than a regular steel lightweight profile barrel. Supposed to be stiffer and better at heat dissipation than steel..

IMG_20190522_184919801.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

It's a heavy profile but it's carbon fiber wrapped. Lighter than a regular steel lightweight profile barrel. Supposed to be stiffer and better at heat dissipation than steel..

IMG_20190522_184919801.jpg

Nice.  :bc:

I like my long barrel Remington 870. 

Savage 270 is alright but want a better hunting rifle. 

Savage .22 is a good rodent controller. 

Building a .270 at the moment  hopefully be ready for fall  

looking for a marlin 1895 

Switching all my scopes to vortex. 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:45 PM, snopro31 said:

I like my long barrel Remington 870. 

Savage 270 is alright but want a better hunting rifle. 

Savage .22 is a good rodent controller. 

Building a .270 at the moment  hopefully be ready for fall  

looking for a marlin 1895 

Switching all my scopes to vortex

Heavy as fuck. You should ball out and go Swarovski.

Edited by motonoggin

I picked up a NIB Gen 4 Glock G22 40 cal to keep in the motorhome last week.  It came with the 9mm conversion barrel and 6 mags, 3 of each caliber.  Came with a cool belt holster and clip holster. Paid $500 for the works including 6 boxes of ammo.  Picked it up at a gun show outside of San Antonio.

The Glock 22 seems to be a decent gun for the price.  I will put some rounds through it some dY soon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

I picked up a NIB Gen 4 Glock G22 40 cal to keep in the motorhome last week.  It came with the 9mm conversion barrel and 6 mags, 3 of each caliber.  Came with a cool belt holster and clip holster. Paid $500 for the works including 6 boxes of ammo.  Picked it up at a gun show outside of San Antonio.

The Glock 22 seems to be a decent gun for the price.  I will put some rounds through it some dY soon.  

That’s a good price for that bundle.  I haven’t been to a gun show in years.  I need to attend one again soon.  Always fun to browse around and maybe find a nice deal on a new addition or two.

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Heavy as fuck. You should ball out and go Swarovski.

the vortex is way lighter then what I previously had. 

Also really really like the price point of the vortex and the quality.

Don't have plans to spending over 500 on a scope. 

8 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

I totally agree. There is no need to spend over $500 for a scope. Most any $500 scope is good enough for a 800-1000 yd shot.  If you cant get within 800 yds of your harvest you have a problem. 

10 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

I looked at Swarovski stuff the other day and it's well worth the premium price.