What would you do?????

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Correct, armed guys/kids, was just hanging out with my girlfriend at the time having dinner watching the movie Congo. I believe the robbed the wrong house, and actually meant to rob the house next door. They were looking for drugs and cash, which we had none of.. They got us for a cell phone and $10.. SMH..Still have the news article, well part of it..

IMG_20190507_083430274.jpg

Wow,  that is crazy. 

2 hours ago, Anler said:

Everyone likes to say what they would do but have any of you had a gun or a knife pulled on you? Because until you have you don't know what you would do. 

The non-participants are experts on what they would do.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Wow,  that is crazy. 

Yes, fucked me up for a good amount of time.. I was never anti-gun, but I never felt I needed one,.. well that changed the next day..

13 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I was working for my friends brother at his antique store when I was in HS. Guy came in one day and put a gun in my face and wanted all the money. The cash register was empty and I had 1 dollar in my wallet. I asked him if he wanted the dollar and he got pissed and walked away! :lol: 

There was a loaded gun in the drawer, but didn’t think it was right to shoot him in the back, so I just called the police. They never found the guy.

Many people dont even carry cash nowadays. When we were working in bad neighborhoods it was  practiced that you at least have $10 on you so if you get robbed they dont get pissed off at you for not having any money! :lol: 

Hard to gauge what anyone would do in split second where you have to react in public.  When we were on vacation, a young kid started drowning at pool. it was happening right in front of us, but no one saw him.   Here comes the mom in full sprint running in water to grab her kid out of water. I think it took a good 30 seconds for the 6 of us to process what had just happened.  My wife sees the woman first, just set baby down, that is in her arms  at side of pool and take off running .  she was in shock frozen, couldn't understand what was happening.

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Yes, fucked me up for a good amount of time.. I was never anti-gun, but I never felt I needed one,.. well that changed the next day..

I bet, scary to have that happen in your home.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

X2.  The little girls safety is priority number 1.  Once shenis secure , all bets are off, butnyou better think carefully before tussling with someone holding a big knife.

There's always an "equalizer" that can be had when dealing with hand held weapons.  Not to mention, most weilding a knife don't know what the fuck they would do with it if somebody brings the fight to them anyway.

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Correct, armed guys/kids, was just hanging out with my girlfriend at the time having dinner watching the movie Congo. I believe the robbed the wrong house, and actually meant to rob the house next door. They were looking for drugs and cash, which we had none of.. They got us for a cell phone and $10.. SMH..Still have the news article, well part of it.. I was the first paragraph in the article

IMG_20190507_083430274.jpg

Sweet fuck.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The non-participants are experts on what they would do.

Well, it was a hypothetical. Like I said, "seeing the elephant".

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Hard to gauge what anyone would do in split second where you have to react in public.  When we were on vacation, a young kid started drowning at pool. it was happening right in front of us, but no one saw him.   Here comes the mom in full sprint running in water to grab her kid out of water. I think it took a good 30 seconds for the 6 of us to process what had just happened.  My wife sees the woman first, just set baby down, that is in her arms  at side of pool and take off running .  she was in shock frozen, couldn't understand what was happening.

There's been studies on this "freeze" scenario.  It's interesting.  The only way to defeat it is training.  Most minds can't comprehend a real horrifying experience...even if they aren't inside the box during it.  Many turn into spectators even if it does mean their own demise.  In the military, there's always a weapons and ammo count after every mission.  It's been noted that the lower ranking/less trained units expend far less ammo during any conflict.  In WW2, and Vietnam there were some battles where some involved actually never fired a shot during shorter conflicts.  As the battle rages though...more get comfortable under the extreme stress and start squeezing off rounds.  The idea with training is to get rid of that dead space between the onset of a conflict and actual reactionary time.

Almost everyone has experienced their own "freeze" scenario in life in one form or another.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

There's always an "equalizer" that can be had when dealing with hand held weapons.  Not to mention, most weilding a knife don't know what the fuck they would do with it if somebody brings the fight to them anyway.

Sweet fuck.

Well, it was a hypothetical. Like I said, "seeing the elephant".

There's been studies on this "freeze" scenario.  It's interesting.  The only way to defeat it is training.  Most minds can't comprehend a real horrifying experience...even if they aren't inside the box during it.  Many turn into spectators even if it does mean their own demise.  In the military, there's always a weapons and ammo count after every mission.  It's been noted that the lower ranking/less trained units expend far less ammo during any conflict.  In WW2, and Vietnam there were some battles where some involved actually never fired a shot during shorter conflicts.  As the battle rages though...more get comfortable under the extreme stress and start squeezing off rounds.  The idea with training is to get rid of that dead space between the onset of a conflict and actual reactionary time.

Almost everyone has experienced their own "freeze" scenario in life in one form or another.

I made the comment cause the wife recently experienced a situation similiar and yes the non participants were the experts looking back after the situation was contained.

So what's the question?   What would I do if the person had a knife to my child's throat or what would I do if I was simply walking by?

If it was me and my child I'd comply and wait for a better opportunity to defend myself.  At some point you have to make a guess at what you think the worst that will occur and fight with every ounce of energy you have if you think the encounter is will cause you or your loved ones death.

If I was walking by even if carrying I'd try and speak to the person first and if they continued with the kidnapping I'd pull out my phone and dial 911 ensuring I got a good description of the suspect, victims, car and plate.  I would not draw my weapon unless I was absolutely sure I could do it without detection and get a clean shot which would be highly unlikely.   I'm not a cop and won't try and act like one unless absolutely necessary.  In public deadly actions by the assailant would probably need to have already occurred before I draw my weapon.   In my home or business that is a different story.    For example....If I'm in a convenience store that is being robbed by gunpoint my gun is staying holstered until I'm absolutely sure my actions are needed to save lives....likely after or during the first shots.          

Edited by Highmark

13 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I made the comment cause the wife recently experienced a situation similiar and yes the non participants were the experts looking back after the situation was contained.

Hindsight and second hand "experiences" tend to create some real heroes with all the answers.  :lol: 

"Man...if that shit were me...I wooda..........."

Yuh.  *eye roll.

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So what's the question?   What would I do if the person had a knife to my child's throat or what would I do if I was simply walking by?

If it was me and my child I'd comply and wait for a better opportunity to defend myself.  At some point you have to make a guess at what you think the worst that will occur and fight with every ounce of energy you have if you think the encounter is will cause you or your loved ones death.

If I was walking by even if carrying I'd try and speak to the person first and if they continued with the kidnapping I'd pull out my phone and dial 911 ensuring I got a good description of the suspect, victims, car and plate.  I would not draw my weapon unless I was absolutely sure I could do it without detection and get a clean shot which would be highly unlikely.   I'm not a cop and won't try and act like one unless absolutely necessary.      

Both.   A stranger ultimately ended the confrontation by getting involved.   I think it adds a  lot of uncertainty when you don’t know the people involved.  Should I get involved?  When it is your kid , without thinking you’re going to instinctively get involved. 

Just now, Cold War said:

Both.   A stranger ultimately ended the confrontation by getting involved.   I think it adds a  lot of uncertainty when you don’t know the people involved.  Should I get involved?  When it is your kid , without thinking you’re going to instinctively get involved. 

Simply put I'm not trained to handle either scenario.   My gun stays put unless I'm positive my actions will save lives.  Reality is CC should be looked at in the vast majority of cases for self protection (including your family) not the protection of others.   People can say that is selfish or what not but I'm not a LEO.   If I'm in a situation where a mass shooting is occurring I'm going to risk my life and do everything I can to stop it however simple robbery situations are completely different.  

I’d like to think I would tcb.  It’s an excellent question.  I think most men nowadays are programmed to run away from danger.  Small small percentage will actually help. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Simply put I'm not trained to handle either scenario.   My gun stays put unless I'm positive my actions will save lives.  Reality is CC should be looked at in the vast majority of cases for self protection (including your family) not the protection of others.   People can say that is selfish or what not but I'm not a LEO.   If I'm in a situation where a mass shooting is occurring I'm going to risk my life and do everything I can to stop it however simple robbery situations are completely different.  

fair enough.  I feel like if puled your gun, thwarted the attack it would be largely unreported, but something goes wrong and you would be crucified.  Start bringing race into the scenario and it adds a whole new layer to it. 

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

fair enough.  I feel like if puled your gun, thwarted the attack it would be largely unreported, but something goes wrong and you would be crucified.  Start bringing race into the scenario and it adds a whole new layer to it. 

Most are but that's the least of my concerns.  If I use a weapon properly I really don't care to get press or credit for it. 

Unless absolutely necessary when I'm armed its for personal/family/friends/employee's protection.  Not to be a LEO and protect the general public.     

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Most are but that's the least of my concerns.  If I use a weapon properly I really don't care to get press or credit for it. 

Unless absolutely necessary when I'm armed its for personal/family/friends/employee's protection.  Not to be a LEO and protect the general public.     

Not saying that anyone would want to be honored or praised.  I’m saying it would never be a huge media story.  

Just now, Cold War said:

Not saying that anyone would want to be honored or praised.  I’m saying it would never be a huge media story.  

Of course it doesn't fit their agenda.  

15 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

No one has offered the obvious solution to this problem... “Shoot him in the knee.”

What about Jason Statham style? Go all kung fu and break all of their digits and then snap their neck for the finishing move? Thats what "I" would do...

jason statham GIF

:lol: