Flooding

rjd75

What is everyone's take on these flooding issues.   I don't particularly remember this to be some kind of Noah's Arc spring for rain and not for snow either. Certainly have seen worse in terms of rain fall and snow fall.  So what gives? I can only assume this is some kind of man made mishandling of the water system being blamed on climate change, etc.

The Burnt River had gone up 10ft and is now receding. The Gull River not so much. It's going to rise more once the ice melts on the lakes and the snow melts in the bush. It's bad up there and the rain isn't helping much

Can't be mismanagement with these results, you can't make lake Ontario rise like that without the massive amounts of rain/water. So its not Doug's fault lol 

frozen ground with tons of snow on it, with rain dumps of 40mm every other day, melts too fast and can't soak in the ground.  Its a pretty wet year with low temps and no sun.....

The melt down this year seemed to be from Barrie to North Bay all at the same time period.  Makes for alot of water all at once.

Pretty hard to sell a place that floods out every other year, I feel for these people on the River

Been on Lake Muskoka for 65 years. Lake was not drawn down as low as last year with a lot more snow pack to the north. Was in Abitibi/Temiskaming P.Q. in Feb.-headwaters of the Ottawa-way more snow than normal. Dams are a human construct controlled by humans-errors made!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Been on Lake Muskoka for 65 years. Lake was not drawn down as low as last year with a lot more snow pack to the north. Was in Abitibi/Temiskaming P.Q. in Feb.-headwaters of the Ottawa-way more snow than normal. Dams are a human construct controlled by humans-errors made!

There was talk of mismanagement/incompetence with regards to the locks, etc, but I don't personally know. My SIL recently said Rice Lake was way down? Where my trailer is in Marmora on Crowe lake, the water has crested and has entered the park somewhat again. It's not to 2013 levels but according to the park owner, they effed up yet again? :dunno:

Lots of snow this year and lots of rain currently so I am not surprised by any of it. 

Rookies... Global Warming caused an earlier than normal start to winter which had below average temperature, above average snowfall and a longer than average season.

Nights were still below 0 right up until 3 days of rain. Canadian Shield has very little soil to absorb rain and what there is was still full of frost. Ponds and swamps still ice covered and full as well. We had very few thaws all winter and the water content in the snow was very high when the fast thaw hit... the granuals of ice pellets in the snow pack were huge. I got off the lake with tons of ice left knowing it was going to flood up fast and wreck the shore access but yes I think it should have been let down lower and sooner.  

Weslemkoon was drained 1 log lower than normal but it didn't help, the lake went up 5ft in 5 days

2 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Rookies... Global Warming caused an earlier than normal start to winter which had below average temperature, above average snowfall and a longer than average season.

Nights were still below 0 right up until 3 days of rain. Canadian Shield has very little soil to absorb rain and what there is was still full of frost. Ponds and swamps still ice covered and full as well. We had very few thaws all winter and the water content in the snow was very high when the fast thaw hit... the granuals of ice pellets in the snow pack were huge. I got off the lake with tons of ice left knowing it was going to flood up fast and wreck the shore access but yes I think it should have been let down lower and sooner.  

Weslemkoon was drained 1 log lower than normal but it didn't help, the lake went up 5ft in 5 days

Denier, racist and antivaxer!! How dare you not believe these floods were caused by man made global warming!! :cop:

climil.jpg

11 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Yup.

11 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Also in the case of Lake Muskoka the stop logs @ Bala weren't pulled quickly enough!

9 hours ago, irv said:

There was talk of mismanagement/incompetence with regards to the locks, etc, but I don't personally know. My SIL recently said Rice Lake was way down? Where my trailer is in Marmora on Crowe lake, the water has crested and has entered the park somewhat again. It's not to 2013 levels but according to the park owner, they effed up yet again? :dunno:

Lots of snow this year and lots of rain currently so I am not surprised by any of it. 

Rice lake was down about two weeks ago, dry land for about 10 feet around my dock.

Today the water is almost over the dock (2 feet above normal water level)

6 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Rice lake was down about two weeks ago, dry land for about 10 feet around my dock.

Today the water is almost over the dock (2 feet above normal water level)

Figured it was only a matter of time before it did but I was surprised to hear, when my SIL told me, that it was as low as it was considering the amount of flooding that was going on elsewhere.

I found out today Crowe lake is finally receding so I assume they are letting more water out than they originally were? 

20 hours ago, irv said:

Yup it's MNR fucking everything up all the old timers that knew how it was done for years all retired and the hippy tree hugging faggots think they know better than the old ways and they are complete fuck ups :guzzle:

Edited by Momorider
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Momorider said:

Yup it's MNR fucking everything up all the old timers that knew how it was done for years all retired and the hippy tree hugging faggots think they know better than the old ways and they are complete fuck ups :guzzle:

I can relate! Lots of knowledge left the last few years and not once were any of the new guys brought in to shadow/learn from them. It was basically out with the old and in with the new, we know everything types. What a mess! :flush:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tommy said:

our larson bowrider is going to need a new starter motor in the next few weeks. Sitting in the boat house on muskoka with the hull plugs out

Prob. better than rammed up thru the roof!

On 5/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, Tommy said:

our larson bowrider is going to need a new starter motor in the next few weeks. Sitting in the boat house on muskoka with the hull plugs out

How high was the water?

Takeoff, east direction, runway 12, from Orillia today. My prior Landing was toward the west, runway 30, I didn’t have the camera ready for landing, too bad it looked more impressive.  Here are a couple during departure, engine failure was no option.....

C9ABD1DE-031C-49B4-B948-1CD68AE50987.jpeg

2252B3DA-F935-41C3-A90E-EE64730BB75D.jpeg

• Like 2