Diatomaceous Earth...Learn Something Everyday

• Platinum Contributing Member

So our battles with these fucking ticks is escalating as it appears  they are not only being picked up at the state park but they are in our backyard as well and during our search for solutions we came across this amazing substance that I had never heard of....anybody familiar with it? 

IMG_4705.thumb.JPG.2e5f4f4f432203ace38b1c9a02704735.JPG

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes...used it in the pool

The shit is amazing....like you say it filters water, you can eat it as a detox, kills bugs, food additive...all organic.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The shit is amazing....like you say it filters water, you can eat it as a detox, kills bugs, food additive...all organic.

Its crushed shells I think

Used out here in AZ to help control scorpions.  Good way to kill bugs.  They make pool filters out of the stuff too.

I'm not sure about ingesting it though.  It's very fine and sharp.  Inhaling it is bad news.  Like a bunch of tiny shards of glass.

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

Used out here in AZ to help control scorpions.  Good way to kill bugs.  They make pool filters out of the stuff too.

I'm not sure about ingesting it though.  It's very fine and sharp.  Inhaling it is bad news.  Like a bunch of tiny shards of glass.

Maybe there's different types but this guy just spreads it with his hands and has no respirator on. Also, as the tick population grows, people need to leave possums alone. They are an ugly/scary animal to some but their worth is priceless in what they do. 

Posssum.png

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

Apparently the food grade stuff is perfectly safe not that I plan on eating it. 😀

22 minutes ago, irv said:

Maybe there's different types but this guy just spreads it with his hands and has no respirator on. Also, as the tick population grows, people need to leave possums alone. They are an ugly/scary animal to some but their worth is priceless in what they do. 

Posssum.png

I bought one of those  applicators and a 10 pound bag of the stuff and it's funny you brought up Possums as my wife and I were saying the same thing about them just a few hours ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I bought one of those  applicators and a 10 pound bag of the stuff and it's funny you brought up Possums as my wife and I were saying the same thing about them just a few hours ago.

The applicator the guy showed in the vid? I am unsure of our tick problem/issues in my neck of the woods but based on the info I have been reading about them, if they are not here yet, they will be soon. I'm going to have to look into this Diatomaceous earth and see if it is available here? 

I spray my yard occasionally with a green up tonic I seen from Jerry Baker but he also has others that are suppose to help against bugs/pests as well. Like the Diatomaceous, it is all natural as well.

https://www.jerrybaker.com/information/archivedarticles/allseasontonics

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, irv said:

The applicator the guy showed in the vid? I am unsure of our tick problem/issues in my neck of the woods but based on the info I have been reading about them, if they are not here yet, they will be soon. I'm going to have to look into this Diatomaceous earth and see if it is available here? 

I spray my yard occasionally with a green up tonic I seen from Jerry Baker but he also has others that are suppose to help against bugs/pests as well. Like the Diatomaceous, it is all natural as well.

https://www.jerrybaker.com/information/archivedarticles/allseasontonics

Good link...thanks for posting!

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, irv said:

Posssum.png

Possums are cool. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

DO NOT breathe that stuff

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Pussy!!

3 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Really ?  You wanna have a contest to see who can breathe the most toxins ?  :lol:  

I'm in!!!!!!!!!

that stuff is supposed to be good for killing snails and slugs if you grow plants that the snails and slugs eat.I leave food out for some possums I have here I do not think we have ticks but if we did they will I hope kill them if not the also eat snails and slugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Possums are cool. 

I agree. :bc:

22 minutes ago, anorkist said:

that stuff is supposed to be good for killing snails and slugs if you grow plants that the snails and slugs eat.I leave food out for some possums I have here I do not think we have ticks but if we did they will I hope kill them if not the also eat snails and slugs.

What kind of food do you leave out for them? Unfortunately I haven't seen any around here now for about 2 years. Occasionally I would see one going through our backyard but the last 2 I seen had been hit by cars on a main road near me. :sad: 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Possums are cool. 

they are and this time of year if you see a dead one on the road you should  check its  pouch  for Joeys.

2 yrs ago I took some out and brought them to a wildlife rescue by me .

• Like 3