Worlds Largest Particle Board Plant Opens in Grayling

Good for the surrounding communities and business . Rentals are sky high and very scarce . Lake State railroad will do well with inbound / outbound product. Did you catch that over 50% of the job applicants cannot pass a background check / drug screen ?? The plant is still  short of  people to work.  Side note , the long empty Chief Hotel in downtown Grayling is going to be finally torn down . A new  $ 8-10 million  hotel  convention  center will replace it .

Edited by hwytohell
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, hwytohell said:

Good for the surrounding communities and business . Rentals are sky high and very scarce . Lake State railroad will do well with inbound / outbound product. Did you catch that over 50% of the job applicants cannot pass a background check / drug screen ?? The plant is still  short of  people to work.  Side note , the long empty Chief Hotel in downtown Grayling is going to be finally torn down . A new  $ 8-10 million  hotel  convention  center will replace it .

Not surprised about the background/drug screen thing....there are some real beauties out there! :lol:

Seriously though it's great for that region and Grayling in particular....have always liked that town for some reason.

The Malpass Family has done so much for East Jordan for decades and this new foundry near Elmira is state of the art.

https://www.petoskeynews.com/featured-pnr/production-start-nears-for-ej-s-new-foundry/article_bc62e930-b9ed-52a5-a586-5a37c4e6d04e.html

You’ll find their manhole covers around the world and they continue to innovate.

https://www.ejco.com/am/en/index

50 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The Malpass Family has done so much for East Jordan for decades and this new foundry near Elmira is state of the art.

https://www.petoskeynews.com/featured-pnr/production-start-nears-for-ej-s-new-foundry/article_bc62e930-b9ed-52a5-a586-5a37c4e6d04e.html

You’ll find their manhole covers around the world and they continue to innovate.

I have one in my driveway. The metal dimple things they put in on the crosswalks for the blind also say EJIW on them. 

Ever check out that Moran iron works in Onaway? They make some cool stuff there. They built a boat for mackinaw island and they’re building one for pictured rocks. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I have one in my driveway. The metal dimple things they put in on the crosswalks for the blind also say EJIW on them. 

Ever check out that Moran iron works in Onaway? They make some cool stuff there. They built a boat for mackinaw island and they’re building one for pictured rocks. 

I have never been there but have always heard good things. 

31 minutes ago, Edmo said:

If you look at all of those blue and white tour boats at Navy pier, they are all refurbished Mackinaw boats. I was a boat engineer for that tour company when I first got out of the Navy.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I've done a fair bit of work in various OSB plants, its pretty cool to see the entire operation.

years ago i was in fort st. john working on some machinery and got a tour of the mill. you are right.  but what ever the fuck you do, dont say plywood

46 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

If you look at all of those blue and white tour boats at Navy pier, they are all refurbished Mackinaw boats. I was a boat engineer for that tour company when I first got out of the Navy.

I probably rode on those same boats a few times as a kid going to the island.

Edited by Edmo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Plus the Malpass  family has quietly  supported snowmobiling  in multi areas of northern MI.

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

Moran Iron works has a very strong  educational trades to job placement programs, they are hooked up with local schools plus MI works . They also quietly  have a felon re- entry trades program for the  greater area.  If you ever get the chance , the new owners of Onaway speedway are doing a super job .

22 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

Plus the Malpass  family has quietly  supported snowmobiling  in multi areas of northern MI.

Now that I didn't know....my mom taught in East Jordan for years so I heard a lot about what they did for the community....curious to see how the waterfront property is developed where the old foundry stands. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Now that I didn't know....my mom taught in East Jordan for years so I heard a lot about what they did for the community....curious to see how the waterfront property is developed where the old foundry stands. 

I attend some of the greater northern MI development meetings , rumor or plans are that some but not all of the plant will come down , soil will be checked / removed and replaced, then the property will be used as a park for E.J.  People / locals  are worried that it might turn into way overpriced , poorly built  waterfront condos.   I will check in with some people at the next meeting in July an get the latest skinny.

3 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

I attend some of the greater northern MI development meetings , rumor or plans are that some but not all of the plant will come down , soil will be checked / removed and replaced, then the property will be used as a park for E.J.  People / locals  are worried that it might turn into way overpriced , poorly built  waterfront condos.   I will check in with some people at the next meeting in July an get the latest skinny.

It would make a great waterfront park and honestly there really isn't a need for condos there IMO....a park and some upgrades to the city marina would be awesome. 

I had seriously thought about applying at that plant. I've been itching to move up to the cabin permanently, as it gets harder and harder to come back down state and we're only a half hr away from Grayling. Decisions, decisions.

2 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

I had seriously thought about applying at that plant. I've been itching to move up to the cabin permanently, as it gets harder and harder to come back down state and we're only a half hr away from Grayling. Decisions, decisions.

Hell yeah...go for it!  :thumb:

35 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Depending on your skills , they are offering a  pretty nice shift incentive if you are willing to work nights , weekends , holidays . It goes down for afternoon and day shift.  If you are  skilled licensed  tradesperson , the wages are very good for above M -55 employment. Lake State railroad is also hiring , as CSX is leaving the state.

Edited by hwytohell