“Reconstruction” on PBS

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

You receive it at your job? I got a few LOL for some years at my job..

Yes, at DNGS over the last 30+ yrs. Since 2009 I have worked in the TRF (Tritium removal facility) and have received practically zero dose both internally and externally. When I worked in the main plant I worked inside the reactor bay and other radioactive areas during outages mostly. One of my jobs, when I worked in fuel handling, was to torque closure plugs when they brought a reactor down for mtce. We wore triple plastics and dosimetry packs on our heads and waist. Some of the dose I picked up doing that was significant.  

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

Darlington site from West to North to East, October 1986 (1).jpg

6 minutes ago, irv said:

Yes, at DNGS over the last 30+ yrs. Since 2009 I have worked in the TRF (Tritium removal facility) and have received practically zero dose both internally and externally. When I worked in the main plant I worked inside the reactor bay and other radioactive areas during outages mostly. One of my jobs, when I worked in fuel handling, was to torque closure plugs when they brought a reactor down for mtce. We wore triple plastics and dosimetry packs on our heads and waist. Some of the dose I picked up doing that was significant.  

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

Darlington site from West to North to East, October 1986 (1).jpg

I worked at the Dresden Nuclear plant in Illinois for a short time about 27 years ago. At the time it was the 2nd worst in the country for contamination. The worst one was also in Illinois (i think) but that one has been recently demolished. Think Simpsons show, thats almost exactly what it was like. All of the people working there were a bunch of degenerate hillbilly druggies. I think there are a couple more slated for decommissioning here in Illinois. 

10 hours ago, irv said:

What is the name of the PBS special and did they say what levels the radiation was at? If they spoke about it, it was likely in millirems per hour m/rem or millisieverts per hour or maybe Rem per hour or sieverts per hour? My lifetime dose is around 3.2 Rem but I did not accumulate that all at once but rather over quite a few years. A 3.2 Rem blast/dose all at once wouldn't kill you but it might make you slightly sick for a bit. 

I am not sure about name of specal or when it is going to air . I saw the pre releced version they sent him .

but I  don't remember levels just the story's of how they just had them duck behind a wall and put there caps over tgere eyes,. lol he said it was so bright and you were looking down and could see your bones . then the levels were high so they put them below deck for a day . then had them wash the shop with sea water then the readings were higher than before washing with the contaminated sea water .

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

This is what I used/did long ago, Cesium.. Badges always came back ok, seems you can get more from the Sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_densometer

Yep, frequent travellers by air usually get more radiation than Nuke workers but most don't realize that. The safety surrounding radiation is important but low level radiation is around us every day. My neighbor, years ago, was throwing out his smoke detectors because he seen on the news they contained radioactive sources. I explained to him that they were so low they were insignificant, especially attached to ceilings, and that he'd get more being out in the sun for one day. Education is the key and he thanked me for it but I was always curious how many did exactly what he was going to do because they watched the same news channel? 

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

I worked at the Dresden Nuclear plant in Illinois for a short time about 27 years ago. At the time it was the 2nd worst in the country for contamination. The worst one was also in Illinois (i think) but that one has been recently demolished. Think Simpsons show, thats almost exactly what it was like. All of the people working there were a bunch of degenerate hillbilly druggies. I think there are a couple more slated for decommissioning here in Illinois. 

I have heard stories like that and that is likely why we have WANO and other organizations like that now. Of the 36 years I have been there, I have never once seen anything like you speak of but I did hear that Pickering, which is much older than Darlington, was quite a mess at one time but is now also a world class station.  

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

I am not sure about name of specal or when it is going to air . I saw the pre releced version they sent him .

but I  don't remember levels just the story's of how they just had them duck behind a wall and put there caps over tgere eyes,. lol he said it was so bright and you were looking down and could see your bones . then the levels were high so they put them below deck for a day . then had them wash the shop with sea water then the readings were higher than before washing with the contaminated sea water .

I'm sure the boys got blasted pretty good but I am curious what health effects they had? Skin will peel, hair will fall out, etc, if the acute dose is high enough but that would take quite a blast to do that. A lot of medical procedures, like Barium swallows, use high levels of radiation, or higher than I was ever allowed to work in but because they are designed to help save your life, the same limits that applied to me didn't apply to people who needed them. My mother had one, and although it made her tired for a few days, she was fine afterwards. I believed she received around 5 Rem (5000 millirem) 

It has been said that most Nuke workers will outlive the average person due to the radiation they receive? The thought is the radiation helps clean the body so to speak but there is no scientific proof to back that up.

1 minute ago, irv said:

I have heard stories like that and that is likely why we have WANO and other organizations like that now. Of the 36 years I have been there, I have never once seen anything like you speak of but I did hear that Pickering, which is much older than Darlington, was quite a mess at one time but is now also a world class station.  

It was a clown show. The plant had a very strict anti alcohol and drug policy but you wouldnt know it by what went on there. Guys would sneak booze in, there were hiding spots all over the plant where guys would sit around and play cards and do cocaine. I really dont know how anything got done. The project we were on was during a shut down and they were working on cleaning it up (contamination wise, not employee wise) so they were putting new epoxy coatings on everything and decommissioning a bunch of old equipment. Hundreds of workers there 12 hours a day/ 2 shifts a day and wasnt shit getting done. It was crazy. 

I worked there about 3 months because there was a big layoff in Chicago so they sent me out there. A buddy of mine was working in the city and said he could get me a job where he was and I could start the next day, I was outta there! 

13 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Curious how many of you think the Democrats of that era share the same platform and views of today's Democrats. 

oh the same platform. but some if the same deep seated hidden feelings . henc the reason for race related admission laws  for starters .