jagger's heart surgery

I've been watching this story, to find out what exactly jagger was having done, as i'll be facing the same situation later this summer. he had the TAVR procedure done, which is pretty cool. see the video below. since i'm younger and in pretty good shape, my cardiologist is leaning towards the standard open heart surgery, or the minimally invasive, robotic assist. there are some risks with TAVR, and my situation, a calcified bicuspid valve, is a little more complex than a normal tri-cuspid valve. while the robot assist sounds appealing, there's something about the surgeon having a full access, open view of my heart that is more appealing. the recovery is a little longer, but i can deal with that.

7 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

I've been watching this story, to find out what exactly jagger was having done, as i'll be facing the same situation later this summer. he had the TAVR procedure done, which is pretty cool. see the video below. since i'm younger and in pretty good shape, my cardiologist is leaning towards the standard open heart surgery, or the minimally invasive, robotic assist. there are some risks with TAVR, and my situation, a calcified bicuspid valve, is a little more complex than a normal tri-cuspid valve. while the robot assist sounds appealing, there's something about the surgeon having a full access, open view of my heart that is more appealing. the recovery is a little longer, but i can deal with that.

.........and Keith Richards just keeps humming along. :lmao:

• Haha 1

My Grandpa was one of the small percentage that died having TAVR done.   I did alot of research on it, but just too late.  The procedure is like putting in a stint, but I am not so inclined to say that it is any less risky than the open heart.  Just make sure you ask lots of questions about it.  It can really knock a lot of plaque loose in the bloodstream and cause blockages in the small capillaries of feet, legs and organs.   We don't agree on most, but good luck whatever you decide.

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-valve-problems-and-disease/understanding-your-heart-valve-treatment-options/what-is-tavr#.WFASF32VmSs

Edited by racer254

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

My Grandpa was one of the small percentage that died having TAVR done.   I did alot of research on it, but just too late.  The procedure is like putting in a stint, but I am not so inclined to say that it is any less risky than the open heart.  Just make sure you ask lots of questions about it.  It can really knock a lot of plaque loose in the bloodstream and cause blockages in the small capillaries of feet, legs and organs.   We don't agree on most, but good luck whatever you decide.

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-valve-problems-and-disease/understanding-your-heart-valve-treatment-options/what-is-tavr#.WFASF32VmSs

wow, sorry to hear that about your grandpa. yeah that is one of the major risks, and why i'm reluctant to try it. the dr asked if i wanted to be part of a trial study. nope. :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
48 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

thanks, and yeah it is amazing how far we have come. 

All the best during the procedure. :bc:

21 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

wow, sorry to hear that about your grandpa. yeah that is one of the major risks, and why i'm reluctant to try it. the dr asked if i wanted to be part of a trial study. nope. :bc:

His doctor did 132 of these procedures and only lost 1 before my Grandpa.  Lost the replacement valve on the first try, so the procedure took 5 hours and knocked a lot of plaque loose which ended up blocking blood supply to lower extremities and then his organs.  Sucked, especially when it is supposed to be so simple.  Just be prepared and ask if they can do any type of plaque "cleaning" if needed.  They have procedures now that go up through the arteries and scrape and dissolve the plaque.  BTW, the doctors that we talked with mostly worry about possible stroke.

Edited by racer254

9 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Good luck. :bc:

11 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

The tech today is pretty impressive for heart procedures. I know several folks who have had heart surgery (to some degree) recently and all went well and the recovery is shorter than I would have thought. I'm pretty certain you are going to be fine. :bc:

I lost an aunt a few years ago from that surgery. They said if you make it through the first 24 hours you you have a pretty good chance of full recovery. She had a stroke that night and died the next day. Good luck slinger, I hope yours turned out OK.