Farming accounts for 16 percent of all US pollution and many many premature deaths do to the pollution it causes

1 hour ago, SmeeAgain said:

After reading the article, I have to wonder how accurate the thing is.  Toward the end, it states that one of the ways to reduce the ammonia (which is what their complaining about) was to inject fertilizer rather than surface application.  I've never heard of anyone broadcasting fertilizer in a corn field.  Every planter made injects it as far a I know.  Maybe he's getting spreading cow shit confused with modern planters.

Plenty of places still broadcast fertilizer.  I know where the ground is flatter, it is much more popular.  

You can broadcast fairly accurately, but you also need to be prepared to incorporate it shortly after application.  You can't let it sit for a half a day or a day.  You are not only running the risk of run-off, you are throwing dollars out the window.  

CeM5LkWhHJHU8d8weFuT5kW%2BGaxodhVkkSp0Kj

4 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

that run off isn't a problem? but i do have a clue. many of them. i live in farming country, my parents grew up on farms, i have relatives who still farm.

sbyl

I will say there's dairys up near you that I can't believe get away with applying manure in the winter while the ground is frozen or semi/frozen.  That is not a good practice IMHO as runoff is inevitable under the right conditions that can easily occur during that time of the year.

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Plenty of places still broadcast fertilizer.  I know where the ground is flatter, it is much more popular.  

You can broadcast fairly accurately, but you also need to be prepared to incorporate it shortly after application.  You can't let it sit for a half a day or a day.  You are not only running the risk of run-off, you are throwing dollars out the window.  

ESN

15 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

So they broadcast for corn huh?  When I worked on our farm, we only would broadcast for wheat and in prep for soys.  That looks like a very nice machine.  Much better than towing a spreader that's just looking for a soft spot to sink in.  LOL

Edited by SmeeAgain

18 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

that run off isn't a problem? but i do have a clue. many of them. i live in farming country, my parents grew up on farms, i have relatives who still farm.

sbyl

And how in the flying fuck does that make your retarded ass an expert :lol: or give you any knowledge at all :lol: 

1 hour ago, DUMPY said:

And how in the flying fuck does that make your retarded ass an expert :lol: or give you any knowledge at all :lol: 

who said i am an expert you dumb ass? i just know about run-off and the damage it does. doesn't mean i am a farming expert like you. :handjob:

Edited by Snoslinger

14 hours ago, hayward said:

I will say there's dairys up near you that I can't believe get away with applying manure in the winter while the ground is frozen or semi/frozen.  That is not a good practice IMHO as runoff is inevitable under the right conditions that can easily occur during that time of the year.

yeah i see that often. i pass several farms on my way to work. I see it when there's snow, so i'm thinking the ground is soft underneath and absorbing it as it melts. not sure ive seen them doing that when ground is frozen solid. that seems to be happening less and less these winters. I don't know if they're following the guidelines or not. they also had to install drainage pipe under many of the fields a few years ago. they run out into the trenches along the road. i'm guessing they're deep enough not to carry the fertilizer out with it. 

51 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

who said i am an expert you dumb ass? i just know about run-off and the damage it does. doesn't mean i am a farming expert like you. :handjob:

Because you literally know nothing but you think you know it all by proxy :lol: 

42 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

yeah i see that often. i pass several farms on my way to work. I see it when there's snow, so i'm thinking the ground is soft underneath and absorbing it as it melts. not sure ive seen them doing that when ground is frozen solid. that seems to be happening less and less these winters. I don't know if they're following the guidelines or not. they also had to install drainage pipe under many of the fields a few years ago. they run out into the trenches along the road. i'm guessing they're deep enough not to carry the fertilizer out with it. 

Did you watch the video I posted?  He explains how it works, as the ground acts like a "sponge" in a sense the fert. attaches to the soil particles as the water moves on down the soil profile and into the drain tile, out to the roadside ditch.  The soil only has so much holding capacity until the crop uptakes the nutrients applied, and all soils are different in how much they can actually hold onto.  Applying more than the suspected crop can use in a growing season plus what the soil can hold on it's own as "reserve" is just wasteful spending, and I'd like to think there isn't many guys like that trying to run their business that way.   Some will try and push beyond the crops limits, more so when corn was $7-$8 rather than $3-$4 like it is now.

6 minutes ago, DUMPY said:

Because you literally know nothing but you think you know it all by proxy :lol: 

Slinger would be a lot better off not following a certain group of people on a daily basis.  I bet if he followed you or I around for a growing season he'd have a different opinion in the end than what he does now.

4 minutes ago, hayward said:

Slinger would be a lot better off not following a certain group of people on a daily basis.  I bet if he followed you or I around for a growing season he'd have a different opinion in the end than what he does now.

The amount of bad info tossed around by citiots is just staggering 

6 minutes ago, hayward said:

Different opinion? What is my opinion now, and why would it change?

4 minutes ago, DUMPY said:

What bad info? I’m also not a citiots, never lived in one in life. Meh never mind, why I keep posting to your dumb ass I have no idea 

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

What bad info? I’m also not a citiots, never lived in one in life. Meh never mind, why I keep posting to your dumb ass I have no idea 

You are 100% a citiot. Doesn’t matter where you live 

20 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

sbyl

And I picked potatoes as a kid.

Now I'm an expert.

1 hour ago, DUMPY said:

This whole Global warming thing is out of control. I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that Man has had any affect on weather patterns, global warming or anything else for that matter. Pollution, imo, is a different thing as I think we can do much better with what is dumped in our lakes, rivers and streams and what is spewed into the air as far as emissions go for breathing/fresh air but these things, imo, have not contributed to global warming. The truth of the matter is, over a period of a few decades, the earth hasn't warmed at all, in fact, if anything, it has cooled. 95% of the population lives on just 10% or the earth's surface. We are way to small, imo, to have the impact the Global warming alarmists think we do.  https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/why-did-earth’s-surface-temperature-stop-rising-past-decade http://www.ipsnews.net/2018/11/extreme-weather-not-proof-global-warming-nasa-global-cooling/

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, irv said:

This whole Global warming thing is out of control. I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that Man has had any affect on weather patterns, global warming or anything else for that matter. Pollution, imo, is a different thing as I think we can do much better with what is dumped in our lakes, rivers and streams and what is spewed into the air as far as emissions go for breathing/fresh air but these things, imo, have not contributed to global warming. The truth of the matter is, over a period of a few decades, the earth hasn't warmed at all, in fact, if anything, it has cooled. 95% of the population lives on just 10% or the earth's surface. We are way to small, imo, to have the impact the Global warming alarmists think we do.  https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/why-did-earth’s-surface-temperature-stop-rising-past-decade http://www.ipsnews.net/2018/11/extreme-weather-not-proof-global-warming-nasa-global-cooling/

8 million gallons of raw sewerage dumped in lake erie each yr. Fucking gross

12 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

8 million gallons of raw sewerage dumped in lake erie each yr. Fucking gross

I agree, but unlike chemicals, oils and plastics, I at least think that is biodegradable and doesn't have the same effect on the fishes and wildlife like those do. Many lakes up our way, and I assume all over the world, have old septic systems, outhouses and the like that continue to be dump/seep in streams, rivers, lakes and oceans but I think, if it isn't already, much more attention should be focused on the pollutants that I mentioned.