Need advice on a used sea doo

Stud boy

5 minutes ago, Stud boy said:

My dad and myself are looking at trading our older sled in the stable for a 1997 800 xp. I don't know anything about sea doo's. Good? Bad? Anything I should know. 

Is the sea doo at a dealer?  Normally a dealer would not try and resell one that old unless they think it stands out and is in pretty good shape.  They normally just go for spare parts.  

All depends on what you want to do. The XP is only good for one rider. The 97s had the 787 engine I think. Good Idea to check the Compression if you do go look at it. Engine parts can get pricey and hard to get your hands on.

If you are shopping around, stay away from RFI and DI's.  If you do look at Four strokes, make sure the Supercharger has been serviced.

Good engine in the very light X4 hull, but not as good in that hull.  BRP changed it to the 951 for the 1998 model year.  951s give a few more mph, but don't seem to have the longevity of the 787.  These hulls turn on a dime, and are fun, but throw you off pretty quick too.  Lol.  I had a '98 with the 951. Suspension seat is great, and I don't know why every Sea-Doo doesn't have it..... water is hard!

787s are 110hp.  That motor is one of the most reliable 2-strokes BRP made for Sea-Doos.  Tons of mod parts available if that's your thing.  As Blake said, it's really a one-seater.  A very light passenger is tolerable.  A GSX is more stable if you need a 2-up.

Mint ones go for around $3000 on a trailer, and likely always will.  But there are deals out there.  Pretty bulletproof, and pretty sensible to work on. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

like said above. compression test, look at the jet drive for rocks or a damaged prop. look underneath at the jet intake for debris. any cracks underneath in the hull. look inside the hill for water or oil under the motor. put it on a hose and run it for 5 min to heat it up to operating temp to see if any sensors go off or it overheats or makes any funny noises. seasons over, get a low price 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great advice everyone. The guy who was interested in trading his sea doo for our sled had a million and one questions for us. As soon as he asked if we have ownership (we do), I haven't heard from him since.