Arm the teachers they say...

34 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

What is a 74 year old doing still working? He should have been retired years ago. If I still have to work when I'm 74 (if I make it that long) I'd wake up one morning and eat a bullet with my coffee.

Exactly

37 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

What is a 74 year old doing still working? He should have been retired years ago. If I still have to work when I'm 74 (if I make it that long) I'd wake up one morning and eat a bullet with my coffee.

we have professors here that are 75 plus years old.

one just retired that is 89

Just now, Pete said:

There a couple of guys in my shop that are well into their 70s.  We have a Millwright here who is 82. They have no lives outside of work.  They have no hobbies.  Going to work is all they know.  

That is sad. Different generations I suppose, duty to work and whatnot. I'd personally prefer the "work to live, not live to work" mantra. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job, sometimes even look forward to going into the office,, but my family time is far more important to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

It’s retarded that age question comes to your warped fuckin mind before WTF is a gun doing on a teacher.

• Haha 1

$$ not to many young, engaged people are able to financially sit around waiting for a substitute gig.

Neal

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It’s retarded that age question comes to your warped fuckin mind before WTF is a gun doing on a teacher.

Logic over emotions? The ole' guy should be enjoying his elderly years, not slaving away in a government indoctrination camp. Also, he's an American so he has the right to protect himself, don't care if it's in a school or not. You wouldn't last long in my mind Bubba.

:ashamed:

4 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

$$ not to many young, engaged people are able to financially sit around waiting for a substitute gig.

Neal

Thanks Neal, that was my point. 1) the poor old guy can't afford to retire. 2) they can't find someone from a younger generation worth a damn to do the job. Granted those options are speculative from the article, either way, sad.

• Thanks 1

My neighbor is on year 60 being a professor at UW Milwaukee.  He's scaled back to 3 days a week now but LOVEs what he does to this day.  And he's loaded $$$$ wise, not gun. lol

I'm  guess i'm OK with teachers having a gun assuming they have been re-vetted (if there is such a thing) and take classes and training. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's flight attendants that are 80+, ex girlfriend of mine is still a F.A. and will be 68 in July.

49 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

There a couple of guys in my shop that are well into their 70s.  We have a Millwright here who is 82. They have no lives outside of work.  They have no hobbies.  Going to work is all they know.  

My dad was the same way,  he outlived everyone at 2 places he worked at and still found another job at 74, worked till he got hurt and Doctor wouldn't release him to go back so he offered to work for free at a local True Value in his Town, they didn't allow him to work there, he then became a volunteer at a Senior center till he died.

49 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Went out to Novi last weekend.   Every shop along  the way had signs out front looking for Millwrights / CNC operators. No one is coming into the trades.  Just browsing one of my trade magazines , a school in Wisconsin used to average 40 students  a year, last year they had one applicant.

1 hour ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Saw that alot in my factory working days...they got forced out at 65 and 6mths to yr later you would see a notice on the community board they died.

• Sad 1

IMO the only ones who should be armed at school are the SRO and potentially any prior military (with certain MOS) and ex LEO who have all undergone rigorous training to react correctly in an active shooter situation.  Most CCW holders who think they would be bad asses in that type of situations would be in the corner pissing their pants (the preferable situation) or putting innocents in danger.

TBH i think it's good some of these old guys are subing,  we need the subs and getting out and doing things keeps their minds active.  Worst thing for anyone in retirement is to do nothing,  then the mind and body both go.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

My dad was the same way,  he outlived everyone at 2 places he worked at and still found another job at 74, worked till he got hurt and Doctor wouldn't release him to go back so he offered to work for free at a local True Value in his Town, they didn't allow him to work there, he then became a volunteer at a Senior center till he died.

Sad

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Went out to Novi last weekend.   Every shop along  the way had signs out front looking for Millwrights / CNC operators. No one is coming into the trades.  Just browsing one of my trade magazines , a school in Wisconsin used to average 40 students  a year, last year they had one applicant.

My son graduates this year and is going into a pre apprenticeship program at Macomb this fall. It's 4 classes, 1 day a week. Shop math, blueprint reading and I forgot what the other 2 are. 9 credit hours. And it's FREE. If he does well (which he will have no problem doing) and wants to pursue an apprenticeship, they will set him up with classes and put him in touch with companies who are looking for apprentice's to hire as future journeymen. If he decides he doesn't want to do it anymore, he can put it on hold, or transfer those credits (and anymore that he earned) to any other college/University. 

1 hour ago, STUMP said:

Saw that alot in my factory working days...they got forced out at 65 and 6mths to yr later you would see a notice on the community board they died.

Lots of guys won't retire because they're afraid that's exactly what will happen to them.  My dad had a mild heart attack at 68. He was still working 7 days a week at Chrysler. After he recovered and went back to work, my mom made him take a buyout about a year later. My dad worked full time from the age of 12. That's all he knew. Thankfully he got out of there in 2002. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I see it too. Some people are very lonely and the people they interact with at work are some of the only people they have in their lives. Also alot of people drop dead soon after they retire. Sometimes you need a reason to get out of bed every morning. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I don't care how old someone is if they are capable.   I do think however there is something said about moving out of the workforce so younger workers can have a chance but if a place can't find workers then they should work.  

Reality is if our SS system wasn't such a scam virtually everyone who contributed from an early age should bet set to retire when they are in their late 50's or early 60's.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I don't care how old someone is if they are capable.   I do think however there is something said about moving out of the workforce so younger workers can have a chance but if a place can't find workers then they should work.  

Reality is if our SS system wasn't such a scam virtually everyone who contributed from an early age should bet set to retire when they are in their late 50's or early 60's.  

This is so true. 

• Like 1