Michigan DNR Traps Lynx..first time ever.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

They are cool.  We see them on occasion in Canada.  I’m amazed how they basically ignore us and go about their business. 

You know it's a cat right?? That's what cats do..

Don't you claim to have a high IQ??:lol:

• Haha 3

:lol: Poor Tools.

These are cool cats though...all cats are cool to me.  Just neat as fuck to watch. 

Hey Jimmy, is this “rare” for MI?  I don’t think they are that rare here, they’ve been protected from hunting since the mid 80’s (?) so, I think they are somewhat common in Northern MN.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

These are cool cats though...all cats are cool to me.  Just neat as fuck to watch. 

Hey Jimmy, is this “rare” for MI?  I don’t think they are that rare here, they’ve been protected from hunting since the mid 80’s (?) so, I think they are somewhat common in Northern MN.

The Michigan DNR seems to have an issue with recognizing species that are there. There have been cougars in Michigan for years and they finally admitted it. They had plenty of evidence. Same with wolves in the LP - one was hit on m55 west of Cadillac a couple years ago. I saw it with my own eyes. Not sure why they’re so reluctant to admit it. :dunno: 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

The Michigan DNR seems to have an issue with recognizing species that are there. There have been cougars in Michigan for years and they finally admitted it. They had plenty of evidence. Same with wolves in the LP - one was hit on m55 west of Cadillac a couple years ago. I saw it with my own eyes. Not sure why they’re so reluctant to admit it. :dunno: 

Well, that’s bizarre.

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well, that’s bizarre.

Maybe they’re afraid it will freak people out? 

Maybe they’re afraid more folks will shoot, shovel, and shut up with this knowledge?

again :dunno: 

Just now, Edmo said:

Maybe they’re afraid it will freak people out? 

Maybe they’re afraid more folks will shoot, shovel, and shut up with this knowledge?

again :dunno: 

Same here with the cougers. From what I hear if they admit they are there they will have to come up with a management plan for them. They don't want to as it will affect plans for a lot of other species. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Very cool animal and very rare.

Very, very cool.   We are getting more and more bobcats.   I've gotten trailcam pictures of them 4-5 times including one pair.  

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Same here with the cougers. From what I hear if they admit they are there they will have to come up with a management plan for them. They don't want to as it will affect plans for a lot of other species. 

That makes sense.

Oh well still cool.  

Dan Kenned, Michigan DNR endangered species coordinator, said the lynx appeared to be acclimated to humans, which suggests that it may have been previously kept as a pet or otherwise domesticated. 

19 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Great thing is with no season or management plan you are free to harvest them.   

53 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

They used to be here - but they got wiped out during the logging days by hunters & trappers. Still a few in the UP. Cool animal...

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

I’ve even seen them hunt in small packs a couple times. Cool looking animal. Sound absolutely hideous 

Seems to be more moose then usual this year... theyve set my motion sensors off at least half dozen times.

14 minutes ago, STUMP said:

Seems to be more moose then usual this year... theyve set my motion sensors off at least half dozen times.

Last year numbers were good.  This years numbers are dropping.

Poachers are fucking going nuts right now

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

same here in Connecticut. For years they denied there were any moose, Bears, or wolves in Connecticut. Just a year or two ago a mountain lion was hit and I've known several people who have seen them. I've seen three lynx in my backyard just recently. Not sure why they deny it.

6 minutes ago, s pump said:

same here in Connecticut. For years they denied there were any moose, Bears, or wolves in Connecticut. Just a year or two ago a mountain lion was hit and I've known several people who have seen them. I've seen three lynx in my backyard just recently. Not sure why they deny it.

prob keeps the general public from poaching them