American Graffiti

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, but like Huighmark said, that's what we grew up around. We didn't have today's cars to compare them with.

I removed the stripes from mine and just left the SS on the door. I had the t-tops in mine but no A/C.  Tell me that doesn't look sweet.

CARS-01.JPG

which would you rather have,  I'll take any of the euros which showed that america car designers were out to lunch.  if i'm fondly looking back on american vehicles of that era  it's Broncos, K5 blazers and pickups

DSC_1124-e1506116647807-940x649.jpg1987_bmw_m3_m3evo-pic-38735-640x480.jpeg

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

which would you rather have,  I'll take any of the euros which showed that america car designers were out to lunch.  if i'm fondly looking back on american vehicles of that era  it's Broncos, K5 blazers and pickups

That E30 M3 is awesome.  I've had a couple of E30's, including an iX but never an M3 - they're hella expensive now.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I couldn't afford to maintain, never mind purchase a European car when I was 18 :news:

34 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, but like Huighmark said, that's what we grew up around. We didn't have today's cars to compare them with.

I removed the stripes from mine and just left the SS on the door. I had the t-tops in mine but no A/C.  Tell me that doesn't look sweet.

CARS-01.JPG

Very nice.  That is how mine started out.  

Got to get those front ends down.

90358D0F-6CA1-4FDA-AE12-9B2A442BF340.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

Set of better wheels, white letter tires and some stereo upgrades and these were sweet.   Awfully slow but rode nice.  :lol:  

Oldsmobile-1983-Cutlass-Supreme-1024x558.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Nice looking Monte. What ya got for a motor now?

Started out as a  ZZ4 crate motor. 

Built car over 20 years ago.  Nothing like the hp. On the street today.  400hp used to be respectable for a street car,  now it is for a family sedan.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

CARS-01.JPG

Those were/are nice.  To bad they were slow turds :flush:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Set of better wheels, white letter tires and some stereo upgrades and these were sweet.   Awfully slow but rode nice.  :lol:  

Oldsmobile-1983-Cutlass-Supreme-1024x558.jpg

shit yeah, my buddy had one. managed to find a pristine 87 cutlass with low miles in highschool. floated you down the road. just like everyone else did, it was nicknamed the Gutlass.

of course, me being cheap, racing and paying my way through college I ended up with a smashed 87 cavelier that came with the donar parts to fix it. $600 for a car with 70k miles that needed a hood fender and grill swapped over. it had over 140k on it by the time I just got sick of driving it anymore. there was nothing wrong with it that I couldn't have fixed in a day. think I put brakes and an exhaust on it every year though :lol: bought lifetime warranty parts and they would only last a year.

2 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Those were/are nice.  To bad they were slow turds :flush:

I know the fox body Mustangs and Camaros of the time were faster, but they just didn't have the body lines of the G-body GM cars. As Dave said earlier, the GNX was the one to have at the time. A buddies uncle had a GNX for special occasions and a Grand National for his daily driver. I got to ride in the GNX and it was fast for the time :thumb:

Just now, ckf said:

I know the fox body Mustangs and Camaros of the time were faster, but they just didn't have the body lines of the G-body GM cars. As Dave said earlier, the GNX was the one to have at the time.

A buddies uncle had a GNX for special occasions and a Grand National for his daily driver. I got to ride in the GNX and it was fast for the time :thumb:

I like them, they're just slow. Same with the Hurst Olds from that time.  What a disappointment they are under the hood 

When I worked at Masco Tech (MSX International) back in 96-97 I was in the Buick division. We worked on their prototype and display vehicles.   My boss from GM was super cool and a major car guy. He was also in charge of their historical vehicles . He let me drive GNX #001 .   GM still owns it and always will.  Also got to drive the 1970 Buick GSX 455 Stage1 they had.  Car Craft  magazine did a cruise around America in it back in the early 90s in it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I like them, they're just slow. Same with the Hurst Olds from that time.  What a disappointment they are under the hood 

When I worked at Masco Tech (MSX International) back in 96-97 I was in the Buick division. We worked on their prototype and display vehicles.   My boss from GM was super cool and a major car guy. He was also in charge of their historical vehicles . He let me drive GNX #001 .   GM still owns it and always will.  Also got to drive the 1970 Buick GSX 455 Stage1 they had.  Car Craft  magazine did a cruise around America in it back in the early 90s in it.

The 87 gnx rev limiter was set at 125mph....they would blow the doors off a mustang when the limiter was removed.

8 minutes ago, DAVE said:

The 87 gnx rev limiter was set at 125mph....they would blow the doors off a mustang when the limiter was removed.

A good friend of mine has a 87 GNX with Satin finished Center Lines on his. Of course he keeps it spotless but what a sharp looking car, especially with those on it. :thumb:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, irv said:

A good friend of mine has a 87 GNX with Satin finished Center Lines on his. Of course he keeps it spotless but what a sharp looking car, especially with those on it. :thumb:

Indeed....theres a guy in sask that has about 50 or so GN's and GNX's just sitting rotting on his property and wont sell them.

:(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Indeed....theres a guy in sask that has about 50 or so GN's and GNX's just sitting rotting on his property and wont sell them.

Damn that’s just insane 

so many stories like that 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

I think I mentioned this before, but I work with a guy who has one whose wife drives it daily. He says practically every time she goes anywhere, when she comes out there is a note under the wiper asking if she is interested in selling. I've asked the guy repeatedly if he would sell it to me but have had zero luck, obviously. Every time I think of him or her just driving it around like an everyday beater, makes me cringe! :sad: 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, irv said:

I think I mentioned this before, but I work with a guy who has one whose wife drives it daily. He says practically every time she goes anywhere, when she comes out there is a note under the wiper asking if she is interested in selling. I've asked the guy repeatedly if he would sell it to me but have had zero luck, obviously. Every time I think of him or her just driving it around like an everyday beater, makes me cringe! :sad: 

Wasnt many at barret jackson this yr.

20190112_133807.jpg

Screenshot_20190318-160809_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
44 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

sweet

4 minutes ago, DAVE said:

406, dart heads, full roller. Just under 500hp he says...73 yup

Dang, that's almost as much as an X3.

"We'll focus on the engine, because that's what's really important here (and because it'll probably find its way into the next M3/M4). It's called the S58, and it's based on BMW's new(ish) B58 3.0-liter straight-six. With a pair of turbochargers and some extra love from the M division, this engine now produces 473 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. And that's just where things start. Opt for the Competition version of the X3 and X4 M and you get 503 horsepower."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a26310946/2020-bmw-x3-m-x4-m-reveal-photos-specs-price/

• Like 1