American Graffiti

2 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Dang, that's almost as much as an X3.

"We'll focus on the engine, because that's what's really important here (and because it'll probably find its way into the next M3/M4). It's called the S58, and it's based on BMW's new(ish) B58 3.0-liter straight-six. With a pair of turbochargers and some extra love from the M division, this engine now produces 473 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. And that's just where things start. Opt for the Competition version of the X3 and X4 M and you get 503 horsepower."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a26310946/2020-bmw-x3-m-x4-m-reveal-photos-specs-price/

Rwhp dummy not at the crank.

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

which would you rather have,  I'll take any of the euros which showed that america car designers were out to lunch.  if i'm fondly looking back on american vehicles of that era  it's Broncos, K5 blazers and pickups

DSC_1124-e1506116647807-940x649.jpg1987_bmw_m3_m3evo-pic-38735-640x480.jpeg

Id take the monte if those were the 3 to pick from.

47 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I like them, they're just slow. Same with the Hurst Olds from that time.  What a disappointment they are under the hood 

When I worked at Masco Tech (MSX International) back in 96-97 I was in the Buick division. We worked on their prototype and display vehicles.   My boss from GM was super cool and a major car guy. He was also in charge of their historical vehicles . He let me drive GNX #001 .   GM still owns it and always will.  Also got to drive the 1970 Buick GSX 455 Stage1 they had.  Car Craft  magazine did a cruise around America in it back in the early 90s in it.

Most cars were a disappointment under the hood back then. We used to go to the different dealers and test drive the cars. I would have to say the Mustangs were the quickest naturally aspirated cars in that class. They just didn't feel all that stable compared to the Camaro. The SS's were a lot heavier than the pony cars, but the look is what did it for me.

That's cool on the GNX. All I ever got to try was the regular GN.

43 minutes ago, DAVE said:

The 87 gnx rev limiter was set at 125mph....they would blow the doors off a mustang when the limiter was removed.

I think all of the G body cars had the limiter of 124 or 125 because of the Eagle GT tires that were only speed rated to 125. $190 chip took care of that :thumb:  

Just now, ckf said:

Most cars were a disappointment under the hood back then. We used to go to the different dealers and test drive the cars. I would have to say the Mustangs were the quickest naturally aspirated cars in that class. They just didn't feel all that stable compared to the Camaro. The SS's were a lot heavier than the pony cars, but the look is what did it for me.

That's cool on the GNX. All I ever got to try was the regular GN.

I think all of the G body cars had the limiter of 124 or 125 because of the Eagle GT tires that were only speed rated to 125. $190 chip took care of that :thumb:  

Exactly.

:bc:

41 minutes ago, irv said:

I think I mentioned this before, but I work with a guy who has one whose wife drives it daily. He says practically every time she goes anywhere, when she comes out there is a note under the wiper asking if she is interested in selling. I've asked the guy repeatedly if he would sell it to me but have had zero luck, obviously. Every time I think of him or her just driving it around like an everyday beater, makes me cringe! :sad: 

cars should be driven

• Platinum Contributing Member
41 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Son n laws car.  Pretty rare in the States. 

Older ones go for a mint. 

45638CE2-D9A1-47DC-9EEC-64C718EB352E.jpeg

53702DCD-2476-4A56-A7CC-8CFDCADC196A.jpeg

Seems the interest in those Jap imports is growing. The tv show JDM Legends is showing detailed import builds from their shop in Utah.

54 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

cars should be driven

They should for sure but many pristine autos sit in garages year round. I'm guilty. My stuff rarely leaves the driveway. Gears aren't turning and seals aren't being lubed. Its as hard on them to sit sometimes as it is to put miles on them.

I don't think I've put 1000 kms on my Katana in the last 10 years but I've spent a bunch of money fixing stuff. Brake lines, fork seals, valve guides. Just had new pistons and rings put in it. That's why I'm thinking of selling it but I just love the fact that its in my garage.

My old truck only goes out 2-3 times in the summer and now I have a second one. I have plans for a 3rd....lol

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Seems the interest in those Jap imports is growing. The tv show JDM Legends is showing detailed import builds from their shop in Utah.

Yeah,  it can be quite the process to get one imported.  He paid some guy , I think out of Tennessee, to get it brought into U S . I think they are starting to loosen up a little on bringing them over once they are 25 years older and don’t have to adhere to the safety & fuel standards. 

Just now, Cold War said:

Yeah,  it can be quite the process to get one imported.  He paid some guy , I think out of Tennessee, to get it brought into U S . I think they are starting to loosen up a little on bringing them over once they are 25 years older and don’t have to adhere to the safety & fuel standards. 

Are they called sunlines or something?

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They should for sure but many pristine autos sit in garages year round. I'm guilty. My stuff rarely leaves the driveway. Gears aren't turning and seals aren't being lubed. Its as hard on them to sit sometimes as it is to put miles on them.

I don't think I've put 1000 kms on my Katana in the last 10 years but I've spent a bunch of money fixing stuff. Brake lines, fork seals, valve guides. Just had new pistons and rings put in it. That's why I'm thinking of selling it but I just love the fact that its in my garage.

My old truck only goes out 2-3 times in the summer and now I have a second one. I have plans for a 3rd....lol

I grew up in the old days lol. Every young guy in the area had a muscle car and we basically had a dragstrip behind our place and almost every Sunday somebody was going at it. My buddy had a 69 Camaro 396/375 and his dad had a 69 GTX and they'd square off quite often. My brother had a 55 Chevy with a 454 in it. I had 4 diff cars over the years starting with a sm block 66 Chevy 11, Vega with a sm block, 67 SS Camaro and the last one was a 69 Barracuda fastbk with a 340.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Another classic movie was 2 lane blacktop

I have never seen that movie.  Not sure how. 

My favorite car movie is the original Gone in 60 seconds.  Movie is cheesy as hell, but best car chase ever.  That mo fo was driving the shit out of that mustang. 

32 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I have never seen that movie.  Not sure how. 

My favorite car movie is the original Gone in 60 seconds.  Movie is cheesy as hell, but best car chase ever.  That mo fo was driving the shit out of that mustang. 

Yup...i liked it as well...very low budget!

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

Another classic movie was 2 lane blacktop

Great movie.

That's where American Graffiti got the 55 Chev from. Same car in both films.

Edited by Blackstar

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

cars should be driven

I agree, but this is a Grand National and he is a farmer so it sees gravel roads often and is driven in shit weather as well. If it were mine, it would only be driven on nice sunny warm days and on asphalt only. 

3 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

Dang, that's almost as much as an X3.

"We'll focus on the engine, because that's what's really important here (and because it'll probably find its way into the next M3/M4). It's called the S58, and it's based on BMW's new(ish) B58 3.0-liter straight-six. With a pair of turbochargers and some extra love from the M division, this engine now produces 473 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. And that's just where things start. Opt for the Competition version of the X3 and X4 M and you get 503 horsepower."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a26310946/2020-bmw-x3-m-x4-m-reveal-photos-specs-price/

All this talk about cars. And 79 I bought a Monte Carlo brand new. It was such a piece of shit I sold it after six months and bought a 79 Trans Am.  It had a 6.6 L that was almost equally as much of a piece of shit just looked a lot better. I took a job selling Saabs out of college and kind of got attracted  to them. I bought a nes Saab turbo which Was a 4 cylinder yet twice the car that Trans Am was. I sold that in 82 and hated it so much I bought an 83 turbo that was pretty done up. Not sure what I was thinking in 85 when I bought a Pontiac 6000 STI. But it had suede seats and a digital dash.  In 87 I came to my senses and leased a 528E BMW. I realized quickly that the Germans simply just build a better automobile.   I have been on the low mile used Mercedes kick for four vehicles and the past 10 years or so now.  Buy them cheap and run the hell out of them.  They’ve been reliable as hell for me.  I got my buddy looking for some late-model 750 xdrives as we speak.  Silly fun.

Edited by DriftBusta

19 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Yup...i liked it as well...very low budget!

I forget how many cars they destroyed making that movie.  Must of been why the quality of everything else was so poor.😂

wasn’t no bullshit like Smokey & the bandit..... running down  mailbox’s without a scratch . He was really driving that car. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

I forget how many cars they destroyed making that movie.  Must of been why the quality of everything else was so poor.😂

wasn’t no bullshit like Smokey & the bandit..... running down  mailbox’s without a scratch . He was really driving that car. 

Idk...Jack Reacher slowly smashing up a 70 Chevelle SS literally made me cringe and turn away.  It was devastating.....like a horror movie!!!!!