Paris in flames as ‘Yellow Vest’ anarchists burn restaurants and shops and riot police fight back with batons and tear gas

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

My wife speaks very good Italian and I understand a lot of it as my parents and family spoke Italian all the time. We’ll be ok. 👍

Who Knew. We're gonna have to have your screen name changed to Eddie The Wop !!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

My brother in law is from Sicily, came to the US with his parents at about 5 years old.  Lives in Elk Grove Village.  He takes us to a different Italian food places every time we are in Chicago.  They are always fantastic.  

I was a tourist in Italy.  I did not have a local taking us to the best restaurants in Italy.  I asked around and used google to find the best rated restaurants in each city we visited.  It was hit and miss.   I am sure if I had a local take me to the best restaurants in each town I visited my opinion may be different.  

Being on your own and using reviews is probably not the best way to find the best restaurants in Italy.  

Did ya at least try asking a cabbie?

4 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Who Knew. We're gonna have to have your screen name changed to Eddie The Wop !!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

I’m half Sicilian dude, that’s even worse!!!!1111

:lol: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Thats cool.  I love to travel.  I love to be at home and I love to be in the Southwest.  I've seen a lot too and I still like seeing things.  I want to go to New England again to chase the Fall colors.  I want to do it in my motorhome this time instead of a rental.  

Life is way too short to sit around.  

I’ve got friends like that.  Love to travel.  That’s cool.  You are doing it the right way too...RV ALL THE WAY BABY!

I suffer from a sleep problem too so, that doesn’t help at all.  It takes me three days to finally sleep when I travel.  I can’t sleep outside of my own bed very well.  Not much fun for me....or anyone around me.  Imagine me being irritable and tired and stuck with you for days on end until I finally crashed.  Lol!

I’ve also realized that “retiring” as early as I did with no plan to do anything is tougher than it sounded.  I’m still too young to not have anything to do or anywhere to be.....and don’t like to travel.  A lot of time to slow burn.  I’ve got some things planned this summer I hope take off for me.  My wife hopes so too!  Lol

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Did ya at least try asking a cabbie?

Oh sure and we had decent italian.  I was just expecting all the food to be incredible.  Like you hear about how great the food is in Italy.  The food was Ok but it wasn't like to die for.  IMO there is better food in almost any big US city.  

I spent a month in Asia in April.  Food in Asia was great.  You didn't need to ask a local or a cabbie where the good Thai food is in Thailand.  Same with Korea.  

8 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I’ve been to his house and met him. He needs more of a traditional name? Eddie the clown?:lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Oh sure and we had decent italian.  I was just expecting all the food to be incredible.  Like you hear about how great the food is in Italy.  The food was Ok but it wasn't like to die for.  IMO there is better food in almost any big US city.  

I spent a month in Asia in April.  Food in Asia was great.  You didn't need to ask a local or a cabbie where the good Thai food is in Thailand.  Same with Korea.  

My sister and dad spent 2 weeks there, They thought the food was great. Sicliy even better

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I’ve been to his house and met him. He needs more of a traditional name? Eddie the clown?:lol:

I try to portray myself as a baller like Anler or Vinnie, but too many of you guys have seen my humble abode. :lol: 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

That's very cool but you won't get much talk out of small town Italy.  No one speaks English outside the tourist areas.  Young people in Italy don't even speak English.  

Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Czechia, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, etc.  Basically most people in all of Central Europe speak some English.  Italy, no way do people outside the touristy areas speak English.  

That simply isn't true.  Wife has many first cousins on her mom and dad's side still living in Italy.  Heck we even own a townhome  in the highlands of southern Italy (MIL family home she inherited) about 20 mins from the Mediterranean. I just have zero desire to go there and appreciate natural beauty over man made.  Guess where the first cousins and their kids are all wanting coming to and coming to?  Crusher's cottage in the Muskoka's and they all speak perfect english, even at 8 years old, they must be the Quebecers not wanting to speak english but can.

10 hours ago, DAVE said:

Historical sites are one and done.

10 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I don’t like travel.  I’ve been forced to travel by my wife and job over the years...I’m all good.  Seriously.  There is literally no where I’d want to go and “tour”.  At least not one I can think of right now.

What is the cash value of my post count?  I’ll take a couple of magazine subscriptions.

:lol:

Maybe that’s why I like Europe. Fewer shit heads. 

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

Maybe that’s why I like Europe. Fewer shit heads. 

No, I don't think that is the reason.    Eurotrash are typically snobs who consume large amounts of time trying to make fun of Americans, that why you get along so well.  

The problem is Americans don't register or care about either one of you.

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

That's very cool but you won't get much talk out of small town Italy.  No one speaks English outside the tourist areas.  Young people in Italy don't even speak English.  

Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Czechia, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, etc.  Basically most people in all of Central Europe speak some English.  Italy, no way do people outside the touristy areas speak English.  

10 hours ago, Edmo said:

My wife speaks very good Italian and I understand a lot of it as my parents and family spoke Italian all the time. We’ll be ok. 👍

25 years ago we went to Italy and took a couple of Italian courses to prepare.  It was really helpful even in Rome and Venice. 

Recently we went are were surprised how much English was spoken.  Our most recent we were in more small towns. What a shock. Very little English. Which made it fun again but we weren’t prepared at all. 

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That simply isn't true.  Wife has many first cousins on her mom and dad's side still living in Italy.  Heck we even own a townhome  in the highlands of southern Italy (MIL family home she inherited) about 20 mins from the Mediterranean. I just have zero desire to go there and appreciate natural beauty over man made.  Guess where the first cousins and their kids are all wanting coming to and coming to?  Crusher's cottage in the Muskoka's and they all speak perfect english, even at 8 years old, they must be the Quebecers not wanting to speak english but can.

“Yeah. There isn’t any natural beauty in Italy.   “. Travel tips from “well travelled Crusher. 

14 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My experience was that English wasnt near as common compared to the rest of central Europe.  We were in each of the cities we visited for several days. This allowed us to get way outside the touristy areas. Monza and Como for example. It was definitely more challenging to communicate in the non touristy areas. 

In austria or hungry or germany almost everyone spoke some english. A 60 year old man sweeping the street spoke enough english to give directions

this was just my experience and may not be indicative of all of italy. 

And to clarify. I definitely shouldnt have said no one speaks english outside of the tourist areas. That is simply not true. English is just much less prominent. In the small towns and less touristy areas it was way more challenging to communicate with english as my only language. 

That is my problem and not Italys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

My experience was that English wasnt near as common compared to the rest of central Europe.  We were in each of the cities we visited for several days. This allowed us to get way outside the touristy areas. Monza and Como for example. It was definitely more challenging to communicate in the non touristy areas. 

In austria or hungry or germany almost everyone spoke some english. A 60 year old man sweeping the street spoke enough english to give directions

this was just my experience and may not be indicative of all of italy. 

My wife's first cousins and their kids all speak perfect english and they grew up in the southern Italy in Calabria.  The countryside there looks very nice there and our home is up a few thousand feet so it does not get hot in the summer.   We use skype/Watsapp a few times a year when they all get together and get invited to go all over as they are spread out across the country and even Switzerland.  I'll take our rockies.

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

And to clarify. I definitely shouldnt have said no one speaks english outside of the tourist areas. That is simply not true. English is just much less prominent. In the small towns and less touristy areas it was way more challenging to communicate with english as my only language. 

That is my problem and not Italys. 

Both my wife and I are fluent in Italian, but our son is not so we would have zero issue getting around, but we would still be flagged as tourists.:lol:

• Haha 1

One more thing. It seemed like French was a very common second language for many Italians. We hung out with a couple of Canadian ladies for about a week. They both spoke fluent French. They helped us many times translate with the Italians. Many canadians are bilingual with French as a second or even first  language. Being multilingual is definitely an advantage when traveling. 

So is having a smartphone. Hahaha

32 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

One more thing. It seemed like French was a very common second language for many Italians. We hung out with a couple of Canadian ladies for about a week. They both spoke fluent French. They helped us many times translate with the Italians. Many canadians are bilingual with French as a second or even first  language. Being multilingual is definitely an advantage when traveling. 

So is having a smartphone. Hahaha

The smart ones are learning Chinese.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

When I watch Bourdain and he’s in an Asian country all the food looks great...so many different noodle dishes and use of pork.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Both my wife and I are fluent in Italian, but our son is not so we would have zero issue getting around, but we would still be flagged as tourists.:lol:

You’d be flagged as an asshole first and be treated accordingly