Beginner Motorcycles

I am looking for some information on some decent starter bike options. The brother and sister in-law are thinking about getting into riding but know nothing about bikes. I am helping them out the best I can with my very limited knowledge. We went to a couple of dealerships today so they could sit on all different styles. The end result was she (5'10"- 220 lbs) really liked sitting on a 2013 KLR 650 and he (6'-180 lbs) preferred more of the cruising style bike. She is in love with the KLR but he although liking the seating position, is worried it will be terrible on the street because he thinks it is more geared to off road riding. She doesn't like the old man cruiser style. What they can agree on is that a sport bike which they thought they would like doesn't work for them. They will be sharing the bike to make sure they like it before they spend the dollars on two of them. Does anyone have any real world experience with a KLR or have any input on a good bike options?

7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Indian scout 

The cheapest I found is $11,000. they are trying to keep it around the $5,000 mark so if they don't like it, they wont have a pile of money tied up in it.

1 hour ago, Tomas. said:

I am looking for some information on some decent starter bike options. The brother and sister in-law are thinking about getting into riding but know nothing about bikes. I am helping them out the best I can with my very limited knowledge. We went to a couple of dealerships today so they could sit on all different styles. The end result was she (5'10"- 220 lbs) really liked sitting on a 2013 KLR 650 and he (6'-180 lbs) preferred more of the cruising style bike. She is in love with the KLR but he although liking the seating position, is worried it will be terrible on the street because he thinks it is more geared to off road riding. She doesn't like the old man cruiser style. What they can agree on is that a sport bike which they thought they would like doesn't work for them. They will be sharing the bike to make sure they like it before they spend the dollars on two of them. Does anyone have any real world experience with a KLR or have any input on a good bike options?

If she's 5-10 at 220 lbs. she should be looking at a fukken WEIGHT WATCHERS CLUB, not a motorcycle!!! 

14 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Ktm Duke 390

one of the top 2 fav bikes I have owned . and I have owned north of 20 bikes in my day .

that said sort of a specialized bike kick ass around town bike kick ass twisty mountain pass bike in fact the best .

not great at long haul freeway shit it will do it but not fun 

and you could not pay be to buy some ape hanger tank so my bias is pretty clear in that dept .

I saw some new hold over Honda cb500x abs for just under 5k  on Craigslist recently 

that is a deal on a solid first bike  enough power to go where you want  nimble enough to pass a test on cheep enough to not loose much money in 2 yrs and abs to boot 

• Like 1

Well with me looking at bike for other people, I am getting hooked. I wanted one of these for a while but could never pull the trigger. This came up today and with talking to the guy over the phone I can probably pick it up for $700 cad. 

Apparently it needs a rear tire soon. Front brake pads are getting low, the choke lever is broken, decent dent on one side of the tank and the rear fender has been "shortened".

What do you guys think? I know a little from the research I have done but not a lot.

ad_1552862790545.jpg

Screenshot_2019-03-17-16-46-43.png

24 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Sounds like the motor is just about done on that thing. Keep looking IMO

If the motor doesn't sound bad I might chance it if I could get it cheap enough. There must be something there to part out if the motor croaks?

12 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Well too late now...

20190317_194433.jpg

$900?   You are going to have a blast on it. They are great dirt road bikes. Don't even think of taking it in a pit to play :bc:

20 minutes ago, ckf said:

$900?   You are going to have a blast on it. They are great dirt road bikes. Don't even think of taking it in a pit to play :bc:

Yes, $900. The engine sounds good. Unfortunately it burns a bit of oil. Buddy said about 1qt to a tank of fuel.

He takes it down to Arizona in the winter and lives out his 5th wheel and rides the bike. He comes back to Canada for the summer. So I don't know if the extra heat and the more "aggressive" riding he was a contributor?