Exxon Refinery on Fire

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

It applies everywhere.....its a powerful story about poor attitude and complacency and machismo. 

The lesson Chatlie shared and the reality of him making the statements given what he went through are a great lesson in safety for anyone anywhere from home to an oil rig or steel mill and everything in between

agreed

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, f7ben said:

It applies everywhere.....its a powerful story about poor attitude and complacency and machismo. 

The lesson Chatlie shared and the reality of him making the statements given what he went through are a great lesson in safety for anyone anywhere from home to an oil rig or steel mill and everything in between

When he was talking about going in the tanks full of bleach and antibiotics I fucking cringed....just awful.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

When he was talking about going in the tanks full of bleach and antibiotics I fucking cringed....just awful.

is a very powerful video, all our asphalt materials are elevated temp and range from 200* to 375*, don't want to go through what he did for sure

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It's called debridement.....I worked with an electrician at the steel mill who was in the wrong place when a ladle full of molten steel exploded. He got burned bad. He said it was brutal getting scrubbed

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

is a very powerful video, all our asphalt materials are elevated temp and range from 200* to 375*, don't want to go through what he did for sure

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

It's called debridement.....I worked with an electrician at the steel mill who was in the wrong place when a ladle full of molten steel exploded. He got burned bad. He said it was brutal getting scrubbed

Fucking awful.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

X2. Would have liked to see the whole thing tho , the vid seemed to end before his story did.   I don't thing I'll be sloshing fuel into the snowblower while it's running anymore . :bc:

5 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

X2. Would have liked to see the whole thing tho , the vid seemed to end before his story did.   I don't thing I'll be sloshing fuel into the snowblower while it's running anymore . :bc:

Yeah I'll have to check out YouTube for the whole video  and no shit about the snowblower...I'm always dumping gas into my mower when it runs out and is hotter than hell. On a sidenote there was a screw up at gas station in Kalkaska  and the tanker driver pumped 60 gallons of gas into the kerosene tank...they are freaking out telling people not to use their kerosene if they bought it during a certain time period...hopefully nobody blows themselves up.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

The place I used the work made tools for that in one of their divisions.

When I started, I asked what the geared ring knife blade was for and they showed me the video...

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

I didn't realize the vid was cut short. I've had no luck finding the whole thing but if you do, definitely watch it. Hearing him tell you what he went through in the burn unit will definitely bring tears to your eyes. It really hits home, trust me!

This guy, Spencer, has been at our work a few times now. He didn't fair out as well as Charley did but his story is also very heart wrenching. Cutting corners, defying safety is definitely not something one wants to do, ever. 

we had our season kick off meetings and as expected "remember Charlie" was played they then told us one of our southern facilities had a asphalt tank fire and all the rail cars destined for that plant have been diverted to our storage facility and we don't know if we have enough room for them, shit can happen fast around petroleum products

I haul fuel for a convenience store chain, and it can be a risky career. For me the driving risks are worse than what I haul, but they both can cause a large disaster. It is honestly a very low paying career and I don't recommend it to anyone who asks me about doing it! I've known a few who have passed due to accidents. 

• Thanks 1

I saw the Charlie video as part of an OSHA Hazwoper 40 hr course I took yrs ago. We pulled fuel tanks and some of the stupid shit guys did to kill themselves was unbelievable. We played it cautiously but even then shit happened. Worst was one of our excavation crews pulled up to a site and when the operator went to flip down the ramps, he completed the circuit from a high tension wire, across a 5 -6 foot gap, to the excavator boom. Luckily, it went through both hands and out through his boots. Burned holes through both of his palms and charbroiled his feet but he was back on the job 2 days later. Tough old bugger. Another one of our former crew guys was killed in '14 when his operator hit a power wire and jumped out of his triaxle to see what he hit. Killed him and my old guy tried to knock him off the truck and break the ground and he got killed too.