Exxon Refinery on Fire

On 3/16/2019 at 4:25 PM, Zambroski said:

Wtf...I think until Slinger chimes in here, we don’t know what to expect or what this is about.  

I’ll wait for his expertise here...and let him advise me on what my thoughts are and should be before I comment any more.  Some of you should take this advice also.  Stop lying to yourselves.

i'm waiting for a return call about traveling down to assess the situation. :bc:

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Grim.

It spread over night from 2 storage tanks to 8.  It is a bad situation for sure.  I didn't hear of any injuries from the initial fire/explosion but there is no doubt the first responders are being exposed to some very bad shit.  I'm sure there is enough hydrocarbons in those tanks to burn for days.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
35 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

It spread over night from 2 storage tanks to 8.  It is a bad situation for sure.  I didn't hear of any injuries from the initial fire/explosion but there is no doubt the first responders are being exposed to some very bad shit.  I'm sure there is enough hydrocarbons in those tanks to burn for days.   

I’m sure this s a stupid question but is there any way to conceivably extinguish these fires or is it a matter of letting them burn themselves  out?

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’m sure this s a stupid question but is there any way to conceivably extinguish these fires or is it a matter of letting them burn themselves  out?

Oh I think its conceivable but the longer it goes the less likely they will get it out before it depletes.   I think they are trying everything they have.  I'm sure they have several different types of foaming agents and other very sophisticated fire fighting suppressants but for now it seems to be getting worse.  If they don't get it out the fuel will eventually burn up and the fire will go out on it's own.  Similar to a residential fire I would guess they are trying to protect other equipment near by so it doesn't catch fire as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Oh I think its conceivable but the longer it goes the less likely they will get it out before it depletes.   I think they are trying everything they have.  I'm sure they have several different types of foaming agents and other very sophisticated fire fighting suppressants but for now it seems to be getting worse.  If they don't get it out the fuel will eventually burn up and the fire will go out on it's own.  Similar to a residential fire I would guess they are trying to protect other equipment near by so it doesn't catch fire as well.

Damn.

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

So did @Frostynuts :news: 

Hey Alaskan gnome, I guess you didn,t get the memo. It wasn,t mine that burnt.  Mine ran perfect at 240 HP all winter long, while the poolaris in our group ran like a 440, carrying a 250 lb bag of sand. Midrange stumble was pathetic, like many of the other ones the honest 850 poo owners reported. Unmatched, unreliability. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

they show his story every year at our season kick off safety meetings

Smart! I believe in the 36 years I worked at the nuke plant, I only seen it once? I seen many other vids over the years, however, during safety mtgs that also made you take notice but the pansies found some of them too disturbing so they are not shown anymore. Guess what happened to our safety numbers shortly after they removed those vids from our safety mtgs. :news: 

1 hour ago, Reevester said:

Frostynonuts you got lucky instead of selling the pile hopefully you got 6k from the insurance company. 

IMG_2389.jpg.b1cfe6bef6af80f850dbfd2d8d70bec6.jpg

How many OAS checks does Frosty need to cobble together before he can buy a 50% off Poo 8 fiddy?

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Hey Alaskan gnome, I guess you didn,t get the memo. It wasn,t mine that burnt.  Mine ran perfect at 240 HP all winter long, while the poolaris in our group ran like a 440, carrying a 250 lb bag of sand. Midrange stumble was pathetic, like many of the other ones the honest 850 poo owners reported. Unmatched, unreliability. 

A poo 850 would ass rape a cat turbo for 1000' or more if the cat was running a 240 (210) tune.....you're a fucking moron

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, irv said:

Smart! I believe in the 36 years I worked at the nuke plant, I only seen it once? I seen many other vids over the years, however, during safety mtgs that also made you take notice but the pansies found some of them too disturbing so they are not shown anymore. Guess what happened to our safety numbers shortly after they removed those vids from our safety mtgs. :news: 

we handle petroleum products and our drivers are required to go to refineries to get our base asphalt so the Charlie story applies 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

we handle petroleum products and our drivers are required to go to refineries to get our base asphalt so the Charlie story applies 

It applies everywhere.....its a powerful story about poor attitude and complacency and machismo. 

The lesson Chatlie shared and the reality of him making the statements given what he went through are a great lesson in safety for anyone anywhere from home to an oil rig or steel mill and everything in between

• Like 1