Scarlet fever 1978

I have a set of Steve Thorsen's  1978 SM 340 RXL  cylinders, got them from Doug many years ago. Talked to Brad Hulings on the phone a number of times about setting up his overdrive helix. That was at the end of the golden era of ice ovals.

4 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I have a set of Steve Thorsen's  1978 SM 340 RXL  cylinders, got them from Doug many years ago. Talked to Brad Hulings on the phone a number of times about setting up his overdrive helix. That was at the end of the golden era of ice ovals.

The late 70's and early 80's was kind of the end of the golden era of sleds.  Still a handful more manufacturers around, lots of sleds still out, ovals were big, local races were big, ICCSF was still going, Winnipeg to St. Paul was going, etc.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The late 70's and early 80's was kind of the end of the golden era of sleds.  Still a handful more manufacturers around, lots of sleds still out, ovals were big, local races were big, ICCSF was still going, Winnipeg to St. Paul was going, etc.

I was a preteen in the late 70's and I seem to remember there being 3 maybe 4 oval endurance races in Michigan alone...I also seem to remember they were broadcast on the radio.

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Yep. I was glad to see the vintage ovals return, got to see Jaque Villenue race at Boonville a couple of times, guy was crazy fast.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I was a preteen in the late 70's and I seem to remember there being 3 maybe 4 oval endurance races in Michigan alone...I also seem to remember they were broadcast on the radio.

I was in my late teens early 20's at that time Snow Week was the big publication back then. I bought my first 78 RXL roller back then for 450.00 all my friends said I was crazy to pay that much, put about a grand in it, new tunnel and an after market seat, sold it for 7500.00 as a roller and got to see it run around the track at Booneville, not race just take warm ups around 2010 I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

5 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Yep. I was glad to see the vintage ovals return, got to see Jaque Villenue race at Boonville a couple of times, guy was crazy fast.

The old I-500 when 300+ sleds would start and they'd give daily updates on all the big MN radio stations is what I'd love to see again.  We never will though.  

Stuff like the old Regina-Minot I-250, ND Governor's Cup, SD Governor's Cup, the Heartland 200 or Dairyland 200 are all races of the past.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The old I-500 when 300+ sleds would start and they'd give daily updates on all the big MN radio stations is what I'd love to see again.  We never will though.  

Stuff like the old Regina-Minot I-250, ND Governor's Cup, SD Governor's Cup, the Heartland 200 or Dairyland 200 are all races of the past.  

We didn't have those big races here, mostly fair tracks Booneville, Weedsport, Coboskill,  and even the Wayne county Fair grounds, a mile from my house. That was early 70's by 75 most were done, still had ice drags until mid 80's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

We didn't have those big races here, mostly fair tracks Booneville, Weedsport, Coboskill,  and even the Wayne county Fair grounds, a mile from my house. That was early 70's by 75 most were done, still had ice drags until mid 80's.

These were all XC races.  I think that was more a west of the Mississippi River kind of thing.