Capitalism.

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Absolutely and as I've said before I support cost controls that make us pay no more than other countries.

However I've been running a business for a long time and while there have been cases of crazy, unjustified increases in price on drugs I look at everything on its merits not just assumptions.  

30-40% margins isn’t an assumption. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

When we place profit before the health of humanity and our ability to afford it, we are heading in the wrong direction.

There is a huge cost to develop some of the newer drugs.  Not for generics but it won't happen without a profit driver.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

30-40% margins isn’t an assumption. 

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/average-profit-margin-pharmaceuticals-20671.html

The average net profit margin for drug companies, including pharmaceuticals and biotech, was about 12.5 percent to 14 percent, according to a January 2018 study by New York University's Stern School of Business. But many companies have margins far greater than that.

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Defending what....wanting to know the facts?   Fuck can you not think rationally?

You ever raise prices?   Even just to increase margin?  

Of course its only evil when others do it.  :lol:  

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Ah yes.....afraid to answer.  :lol:   GFY as well.  :lol:  

If I raised my prices the way these drug companies do I would have zero work...quit being such a jagoff.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

The average net profit margin for drug companies, including pharmaceuticals and biotech, was about 12.5 percent to 14 percent, according to a January 2018 study by New York University's Stern School of Business. But many companies have margins far greater than that.

The offending company. 

https://ycharts.com/companies/LLY/gross_profit_margin

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

If I raised my prices the way these drug companies do I would have zero work...quit being such a jagoff.

Always will be some that take advantage of a market.   Should motivate others to get in.  

4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

One company's gross margin?  :lol:  Seriously dude.   Gross margin?  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's gross margin 

Yeah, I caught that too and edited my post.  :lol:  

Its stock does OK.   If its gross margin were that important it would do MUCH better.   

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Always will be some that take advantage of a market.   Should motivate others to get in.  

Well that isn't happening as far as Insulin goes and as the article said diabetics have a hard enough time regulating blood sugar and it takes a lot of time to find the balance and the right type of insulin. It ain't like switching from Advil to Walgreen brand ibuprofen. 

22 minutes ago, Cop Watch said:

Walmart sells human insulin for $25 a vial.

I use to use human insulin. I now use a synthetic. Thats what my pump uses

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well that isn't happening as far as Insulin goes and as the article said diabetics have a hard enough time regulating blood sugar and it takes a lot of time to find the balance and the right type of insulin. It ain't like switching from Advil to Walgreen brand ibuprofen. 

yup!!

59 minutes ago, Highmark said:

One company's gross margin?  :lol:  Seriously dude.   Gross margin?  :lol:  

I posted the wrong link. As you can see, lily makes good on the dead bodies of those that can’t afford the drug. A little research into the insulin game and you will how profit is placed above medical need. Unless of course you’re a total psychopath  

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/LLY/eli-lilly/profit-margins

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I posted the wrong link. As you can see, lily makes good on the dead bodies of those that can’t afford the drug. A little research into the insulin game and you will how profit is placed above medical need. Unless of course you’re a total psychopath  

Supposed to be a class action lawsuits against lilly for hiking the price of humalog  insulin 

36 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Wow they are just raking it in.  :lol:  Cue slinger and his administrative costs spiel.  :lol:  

From your link.  

Current and historical gross margin, operating margin and net profit margin for Eli Lilly (LLY) over the last 10 years. Profit margin can be defined as the percentage of revenue that a company retains as income after the deduction of expenses. Eli Lilly net profit margin as of December 31, 2018 is 13.16%.

48 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That's not that good imo.  Not sure what you're trying to show?

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

Supposed to be a class action lawsuits against lilly for hiking the price of humalog  insulin 

Yes there is. It’s involving racketeering charges against lily and two other companies. The companies are resisting turning over records. 

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Yes there is. It’s involving racketeering charges against lily and two other companies. The companies are resisting turning over records. 

RICO.... good