Snowmobile crashes into Blackhawk helicopter

23 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

I road on that trail. The airport is just a drag strip in the winter. Not plowed last time I was there. Seems pretty dumb for a black helicopter to park on snowmobile tracks waiting for dark. 

Typical youngster, blaming anyone else EXCEPT the person that should be in control of their sled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, revkev6 said:

I road on that trail. The airport is just a drag strip in the winter. Not plowed last time I was there. Seems pretty dumb for a black helicopter to park on snowmobile tracks waiting for dark. 

Seem's really fucking dumb running into a helicopter in broad daylight.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Typical youngster, blaming anyone else EXCEPT the person that should be in control of their sled. 

yeah, I would LOVE to hear your side of the story if you are running on the trail you are familiar with and is used as the areas drag strip at night and come up on a black helicopter in the middle of the trail when you are probably running close to a hundred.

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Who lands a black helicopter on a snowmobile at dark? The US military. That’s who. 

exactly.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Seem's really fucking dumb running into a helicopter in broad daylight.   

The helicopter was from Fort Drum Army Base in upstate New York and landed in Worthington around 7 p.m., as part of a routine training flight. Army Base spokeswoman, Julie Halpin told 22News the aircraft had pre-arranged to land there after some daytime training and was waiting for the sun to set so they could fly home using night-vision goggles. 

22 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Try and explain that to your insurance agent.

I'd be looking to discuss that one with my lawyer. uncontrolled airport that is closed during the winter and has a trail literally running down the grass runway. stupid move to park a black helicopter on a trail at night. who's fault would that be if it was a road??

my father traded in his built up 93 ext 580z in 95 to get a zr and the guy who bought it from smith's was king of the airport that year. Jim would tell my ole man every time he came in how much the guy loved that thing :lol:

29 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

The helicopter was from Fort Drum Army Base in upstate New York and landed in Worthington around 7 p.m., as part of a routine training flight. Army Base spokeswoman, Julie Halpin told 22News the aircraft had pre-arranged to land there after some daytime training and was waiting for the sun to set so they could fly home using night-vision goggles. 

Wasn't that dark.  Even in the dark running into a something as big as a helicopter on a flat surface is rider error.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This accident cann,t possibly be my fault for me being stupid. I have to blame everyone but me. LOL

Anyone that is running 100 mph at night, cann,t be very bright to start with. Darwin doing his job, and these idiots make it so easy for him.

Maybe try driving under control, based on conditions.

Edited by Frostynuts
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, revkev6 said:

I though all air strips were always no go no matter the season or open or closed . FAA rules.

we had a fuck head land owner who was fucking with access to a field off a city owned fire road to our trail.  .

there is a small craft airport on other side of field. 

this dick kept blocking the opening to the field he did not even own . he was a,cop so the other cops would just give each other hand jobs say don't do it again . we would take his shit down and in a,week back up .

well we got the faa on his ass for blocking emergency access to the run way . that again is closed all winter and on the other side of a field. 

but no matter they ran his ass around hard for some time after 

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I though all air strips were always no go no matter the season or open or closed . FAA rules.

we had a fuck head land owner who was fucking with access to a field off a city owned fire road to our trail.  .

there is a small craft airport on other side of field. 

this dick kept blocking the opening to the field he did not even own . he was a,cop so the other cops would just give each other hand jobs say don't do it again . we would take his shit down and in a,week back up .

well we got the faa on his ass for blocking emergency access to the run way . that again is closed all winter and on the other side of a field. 

but no matter they ran his ass around hard for some time after 

not sure about faa laws and access, this is a private uncontrolled airport (no tower) . has been used for sleds as long as there have been sleds.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Wasn't that dark.  Even in the dark running into a something as big as a helicopter on a flat surface is rider error.   

really?? it's not dark after 7pm??

48 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

This accident cann,t possibly be my fault for me being stupid. I have to blame everyone but me. LOL

Anyone that is running 100 mph at night, cann,t be very bright to start with. Darwin doing his job, and these idiots make it so easy for him.

Maybe try driving under control, based on conditions.

worthington on a week night... after 7pm. that's a local guy riding around. he knows the terrain. probably ridden that airport 100 times this winter alone. theres a slight rise in the middle of the runway and from the picture it looks like he landed towards the end on the far side of the rise. theres a stand of tall pines there that the helicopter is in front of. the helicopter is black and blends into the trees at night behind it. if you can't open your sled up on the only spot that everyone uses for a drag strip then fuck, this sport has gotten to many helicopter parents in it even for me.

maybe the pilots should have seen the sled tracks and tried not landing on a trail.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

Since daylight savings time.....no not really.   They were waiting for sunset to use their nightvision.  

Don't matter.   If someone parks a car on a flat part of a trail and I slam into it.....its my fucking fault.  Its one thing if this is just around a blind bend or crest of a hill but on a flat runway.   Come on man.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

not sure about faa laws and access, this is a private uncontrolled airport (no tower) . has been used for sleds as long as there have been sleds.

worthington on a week night... after 7pm. that's a local guy riding around. he knows the terrain. probably ridden that airport 100 times this winter alone. theres a slight rise in the middle of the runway and from the picture it looks like he landed towards the end on the far side of the rise. theres a stand of tall pines there that the helicopter is in front of. the helicopter is black and blends into the trees at night behind it. if you can't open your sled up on the only spot that everyone uses for a drag strip then fuck, this sport has gotten to many helicopter parents in it even for me.

maybe the pilots should have seen the sled tracks and tried not landing on a trail.

Sunset was at 6:55pm on Tuesday. So yeah. It was getting dark. 

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

That time of dy when ya wish it would just get dark as the trail has no definition to it. Everything looks the same. Apparently even a fucking helo.

It’s never the military’s fault. The dummies here haven’t ridden the trail, but they’re experts on visibility at that spot and at that time of the day. :lol: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Sunset was at 6:55pm on Tuesday. So yeah. It was getting dark. 

You don't know the difference between sunset/dusk and sunrise/dawn do you?   Generally sunset and sunrise there is plenty of light that's why most hunting regs give you from dawn til dusk.   Go ahead and see how light it is at sunset tonight.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s never the military’s fault. The dummies here haven’t ridden the trail, but they’re experts on visibility at that spot and at that time of the day. :lol: 

isn't it illegal to park a non-tracked vehicle on a snowmobile trail :news:

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You don't know the difference between sunset/dusk and sunrise/dawn do you?   Generally sunset and sunrise there is plenty of light that's why most hunting regs give you from dawn til dusk.   Go ahead and see how light it is at sunset tonight.  

The helo landed at 7pm and rescue was called for the injured guy at 8pm. So it was dark. You know nothing about the trail, air conditions, visability, nothing. Just let it go Mr Ihavetoberightabouteverything.