Alex trebek

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

My family history is like a spin the wheel game of various cancers. Wherever it stops...you’re fucked! :lol: I had bladder cancer at 35 and beat it, so hopefully I’m done with that crap.

Sorry to hear about your cuz Slinger.

Glad you beat it.. :bc:

My wife had hodgkin's in her 20s and beat it.

• Gold Member
51 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Good for her.  :bc:

I had stage 3 hodgkins in my 20s as well, from what i was told many years later the doc had my parents and fiancé prepared to lose me. 

3 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Good for her.  :bc:

I had stage 3 hodgkins in my 20s as well, from what i was told many years later the doc had my parents and fiancé prepared to lose me. 

Yikes!!! She was in stage 2 from what i remember...

:bc:

2 hours ago, DAVE said:

My older brother is going thru prostate cancer treatments right now. That one got both grandpas and my uncle joe. 😕

Just now, Edmo said:

My older brother is going thru prostate cancer treatments right now. That one got both grandpas and my uncle joe. 😕

He will beat it!

Pancreatic cancer: Two-hit treatment approach shows promise

Published Tuesday 5 March 2019
Fact checked by Carolyn Robertson
It may be feasible to treat pancreatic cancer by using one drug to get the cancer cells to depend on a single source of energy, and another drug to take it away from them.
chemist assisting senior man, both smiling

Using two types of drugs at once may combat hard-to-treat pancreatic cancer.

The approach looks promising after a recent study successfully tested it on pancreatic cancer cells and mice in the laboratory.

The researchers who led the study work at the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center in the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill.

They hope that the findings will generate new options for treating pancreatic cancer, a disease that typically has a poor prognosis.

In the United States, only around 8.5 percent of people live more than 5 years after a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.

The journal Nature Medicine has recently published a paper on the new findings.

First author Kirsten Bryant, Ph.D., who is a research assistant professor at UNC, says that it is early days and there is still a lot of work to do. There are questions to address and human clinical trials of drug safety and effectiveness to conduct.

However, she remains cautiously optimistic, especially as another team has recently come to a similar conclusion in a different study.

"This may not cure pancreatic cancer, but it's another step toward more treatment options," Bryant remarks.

Pancreatic cancer and autophagy

The pancreas is a large, flat organ that sits deep inside the abdomen behind the stomach. It produces enzymes and hormones that help to digest food and control blood sugar.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), pancreatic cancer is one of the "10 most common cancers" that arise in both men and women in the U.S., and it is responsible for around 7 percent of all deaths to cancer.

Pancreatic cancer is difficult to detect in its early stages. The deep location of the organ inside the body means that tumors and lumps are not easy to spot in routine exams. Often, by the time symptoms emerge, cancer has already spread, which makes it challenging to treat.

The new study focuses on autophagy, which is a term that literally means "self-eating." It is the process by which cells recycle spent materials, releasing energy as a result.

The researchers devised and tested a strategy whereby they got pancreatic cancer cells to rely on autophagy as their main fuel source and then blocked it.

They used one compound to stop the cancer cells from being able to use other sources of energy, making them rely heavily on autophagy, and then they used another compound that indirectly blocked that as well.

"What we found," says senior study author Channing J. Der, who is a professor of pharmacology at UNC, "is, if you cripple perhaps the most significant pathway for energy – glycolysis – the cancer cell really starts to suffer, and it ratchets up autophagy."

• Like 1

It's so sad, to see it from the outside. (I have myself). Just to play devil's advocate, isn't it almost a blessing to the person inflected though? The end of life is an unknown timeframe for which we can not control. Sure, chemotherapy and treatment can extend the rate of decline, but to what cost (not monetary, but emotional) for those involved. Best to set your finances in check, and enjoy every minute. Hookers and cocaine, fast cars, after you know that your kin is taken care of. Is that not a gift, having that knowledge?

I've been living with lymphoma for the last 3 1/2 years. I take a chemo drug every morning. It's a very expensive drug but I have received financial aid to supplement my insurance deductible from a number of foundations. My Dr calls me his miracle patient. I say this because I think it's important for people to know that their donations to legitimate charities do make it back to the public and to research. It awful easy to knock big pharma but there are many of us who are alive because of them. While there are more and more of us getting one form of cancer or another there are more of us In remission or better yet being cured than ever. I've been told that one day my drug will probably stop working, hopefully by then there will be another. Let me add that the drug that is prolonging my life and that of many others didn't exist 6 years ago

Edited by Sael
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sael said:

think it's important for people to know that their donations to legitimate charities do make it back to the public and to research.

:saluting:

Best wishes for you and yours!

Honest question; have you tried experimental treatment ( or know someone who has)? Does the funding go further than financial aid, are you able to enroll for free, or even get paid for it? 

Edit: what would be, in your eyes/experience a "legitimate charity"

I believe this is a true problem. How can one differentiate between legitimate and not?

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

4 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

No doubt, And my sympathies about your cousin.  They are still getting major advancements though.  One of our best friends has had stage 4 lung cancer for 5 years now. 10 years ago that was a death sentence, most didn’t  make a year.  He’s been on this trial and takes like 14 grand worth of meds a month.  He goes to Boston every couple months to make sure the tumors haven’t grown.  Hasn’t had a bad day yet, just can’t drink because the meds are hard on his liver.  He just vapes. 

cap is not goid for the old liver . but what do you do have to have s nothing to deal with that sort of shit storm 

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, xcr700 said:

Cancer can eat a dick.  Mil has stage 4 ovarian cancer, maybe 1 year . And buddy I ride with just started aggressive chemo for stage 4 throat cancer.  Fucking bullshit 

True story, bro!  I wish your friends/family the best as well.  :bc:

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, Sael said:

I've been living with lymphoma for the last 3 1/2 years. I take a chemo drug every morning. It's a very expensive drug but I have received financial aid to supplement my insurance deductible from a number of foundations. My Dr calls me his miracle patient. I say this because I think it's important for people to know that their donations to legitimate charities do make it back to the public and to research. It awful easy to knock big pharma but there are many of us who are alive because of them. While there are more and more of us getting one form of cancer or another there are more of us In remission or better yet being cured than ever. I've been told that one day my drug will probably stop working, hopefully by then there will be another. Let me add that the drug that is prolonging my life and that of many others didn't exist 6 years ago

Best wishes, I hope to continue insulting each other over for politics for years to come! :bc:

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Best wishes for you and yours!

Honest question; have you tried experimental treatment ( or know someone who has)? Does the funding go further than financial aid, are you able to enroll for free, or even get paid for it? 

The drug that I am taking was in use for another form of lymphoma and it was so promising that the FDA rushed it through for my form but it was not considered experimental when I started it. I can't answer your question but I have been very fortunate to have rather serendipitously been referred to different foundations. I live in a small town with a small hospital but the knowledgeable people there were incredibly helpful in getting me set up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sael said:

The drug that I am taking was in use for another form of lymphoma and it was so promising that the FDA rushed it through for my form but it was not considered experimental when I started it. I can't answer your question but I have been very fortunate to have rather serendipitously been referred to different foundations. I live in a small town with a small hospital but the knowledgeable people there were incredibly helpful in getting me set up.

6 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Best wishes, I hope to continue insulting each other over for politics for years to come! :bc:

640x478_ac.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

It's so sad, to see it from the outside. (I have myself). Just to play devil's advocate, isn't it almost a blessing to the person inflected though? The end of life is an unknown timeframe for which we can not control. Sure, chemotherapy and treatment can extend the rate of decline, but to what cost (not monetary, but emotional) for those involved. Best to set your finances in check, and enjoy every minute. Hookers and cocaine, fast cars, after you know that your kin is taken care of. Is that not a gift, having that knowledge?

Great point.  I think the biggest impact on my buddy has just been emotional.  His attitude is just not that good.  What do you do? You still have to put your pants on, go out to work every day and make a living. But yet he has that hanging over him, I just can’t imagine. I’ve been trying to get him back on his snowmobile for a couple years, he just isn’t interested.

13 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Great point.  I think the biggest impact on my buddy has just been emotional.  His attitude is just not that good.  What do you do? You still have to put your pants on, go out to work every day and make a living. But yet he has that hanging over him, I just can’t imagine. I’ve been trying to get him back on his snowmobile for a couple years, he just isn’t interested.

When you are told you have cancer it can be an incredible mind fuck. I was diagnosed with GIST cancer in Sept., I had an egg sized GIST (gastro intestinal stromal tumor) removed from my stomach in Oct., now granted at this point my prognosis looks good according to my pathology reports and the research I've done I have less than a 3.6% chance of having a reoccurrence because my tumor was located in my stomach and not in a major organ like kidney,liver, pancreas etc. My cancer was low grade and my mitotic rate was low also, my margins were clean and it didn't metastisize to other organs. I am grateful and relieved about my current outlook but I really can't imagine what it must be like when a doctor tells a person how long they have to live regarding certain cancer situations. Cancer deserves a nuclear bomb.

• Like 6