How many of you guys do this yourselves...Clutch Work..etc...

• Platinum Contributing Member

Just curious because I have never really learned how to do clutching, etc....I can pull a skid and some minor stuff so I wondered how many here have the tools and knowledge. 

I do.  Many do.  Learning how to properly service your own clutches is probably one of the most important things a sled owner should do.  Really, CVT’s are very simple to learn.  Buy (or make) whatever tools you need for your brand and pull them off and tear them apart.  Learn them!  My old man always said, “The key to the best sled performance lies in the clutching”.  Or...some shit like that.  He said  a lot of shit and I’m not a real good listener.

:lol:

The real fun is tuning them for your own riding. Holy shit.  The difference with having a good clutch set up is amazing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I do.  Many do.  Learning how to properly service your own clutches is probably one of the most important things a sled owner should do.  Really, CVT’s are very simple to learn.  Buy (or make) whatever tools you need for your brand and pull them off and tear them apart.  Learn them!  My old man always said, “The key to the best sled performance lies in the clutching”.  Or...some shit like that.  He talked a lot and I’m not a real good listener.

The real fun is tuning them for your own riding. Holy shit.  The difference in with having a good clutch set up is amazing.

Well fuck, that explains why you have 46,600+ posts. :lol:

• Haha 2

One of my buds owns a marina. His mechanic has nothing to do most of the winter. He does all of our clutching and is really good at it. 

• Like 1

I bought this IQR and I've been poking around the JS Powersports website and it got me thinking about learning how to do this stuff finally....there is some initial investment but once you have the Clutch tools they will pay for themselves in no time it seems.

52 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I bought this IQR and I've been poking around the JS Powersports website and it got me thinking about learning how to do this stuff finally....there is some initial investment but once you have the Clutch tools they will pay for themselves in no time it seems.

If you need any help with it, PM me.  I have had a few IQR's over the years and can help if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Pays for itself the FIRST TIME.  I’ve never had a Polaris clutch apart but they are all basically the same.  Some tools you can make yourself in a trip to HD and with a few bucks.  Others are just necessary to buy.  Plenty here and some really good POO tuners on HCS that would be happy to help you out.

15 minutes ago, racer254 said:

If you need any help with it, PM me.  I have had a few IQR's over the years and can help if needed.

....like this faggot!

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

I do all clutching, shock valving and changes, skid maintenance.  Everything down to the crank, but I let others do the crank work.

Same. I’ll rebuild entire engines no problem but I’m just not set up to rebuild cranks 

• Like 1

I do it all except for splitting cranks even though I have the tools for doing them, $72,000 in tools total including a Lathe & milling machine, 2 Rotary tables, clutch balancer, 100,000 lb. press, way too many more to post here. Soon much of it will be for sale as at 72 years old it's become too much work now.

• Like 2

Like to do as much of my own work as possible on sleds, cars,etc.  Can do most maintenance and clutch work and replaced a stator once on my zr600...had to buy a puller for the flywheel and was still a bitch to get off. Usually end up doing plenty of cursing and knuckle bashing while working on any project   and its not really about saving money doing it myself but the satisfaction of getting the job done is whats worth it in the end.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Like to do as much of my own work as possible on sleds, cars,etc.  Can do most maintenance and clutch work and replaced a stator once on my zr600...had to buy a puller for the flywheel and was still a bitch to get off. Usually end up doing plenty of cursing and knuckle bashing while working on any project   and its not really about saving money doing it myself but the satisfaction of getting the job done is whats worth it in the end.

If somebody else is working on my “toy(s)”, it means I don’t care anymore.

Now our cars/trucks? I kinda don’t care anymore.   I just don’t want to do it.

2 hours ago, awful knawful said:

I do mostly everything. 

I've rebuilt engines ,minus the crank.

I'd like to get into shocks next.

My sled/ ATV goes to dealer for warranty work only.

Sport is expensive enough. Plus I really enjoy doing and learning mechanical shit!

I may soon be selling all my shock rebuilding tools including Nitrogen tank, hoses, filler needles, and gas Schrader valve adapters.

I do everything myself besides rebuild shocks, cranks, or other engine work I don't have the tools for.  Nothing wrong with sending the engine some place that they have the tools and know what they are doing. 

Never had the primary clutch down that far, havent needed to.

• Like 1