Harley 2007 HD Heritage Softail FLSTC oil filter?

irv

Looking for advice with my SIL's Harley, namely the oil filter. Her previous boyfriend, by the looks of things, screwed this filter up trying to remove it. I assume it is a K&N and it looks like he stripped/broke the nut off the end of the filter? I would say whoever installed it likely over tightened it and that is what caused him grief but I am unsure?

Anyways, as you can see in the pic, it looks like there is a chrome cover covering the majority of the filter. (or is that part of the filter and is all one piece?)) Any idea if this will come off on its own or does the filter have to come off first? I am guessing, based on the pic, which I didn't take, the filter needs to come out/off first? If this cover doesn't come off then I am not sure if I will be able to remove the filter since the end nut is screwed up on it? I haven't personally looked at the bike to know how much room there is to work in there but I do know the filter is at the front of the engine, that is all. 

Barb's Harley.jpeg

2 minutes ago, xcr600 said:

filter will be all one piece, that nut part is just spot welded on the end of the filter. use a normal filter wrench and it should spin off.

Thanks. :bc: I posted in the CE as well and was also told that. It just looked like 2 pieces to me as the bottom looks a little different than the side (shade/color) I have filters wrenches so I assume it will come off pretty easy with one of those but judging by the damage to the nut, I'd say it's likely on there rather tight? 

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

blast a screw driver through the filter, crack it loose, spin it off! always works well :snack:

I've done that on a few aircraft engines too.....works well but makes a nice mess.

47 minutes ago, Tommy said:

blast a screw driver through the filter, crack it loose, spin it off! always works well :snack:

I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that? I've read/heard the nut on the bottom of those filters is rather weak so hopefully it wasn't put on as tight as I originally thought? 

24 minutes ago, irv said:

I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that? I've read/heard the nut on the bottom of those filters is rather weak so hopefully it wasn't put on as tight as I originally thought? 

They normally don't even have that nut on the end,  takes away from the appearance. Changing the oil on those makes a mess anyway.  Oil comes out of every side of the engine. Stop over thinking it and take it off

19 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

They normally don't even have that nut on the end,  takes away from the appearance. Changing the oil on those makes a mess anyway.  Oil comes out of every side of the engine. Stop over thinking it and take it off

I'm not overthinking it, like in my original post, I thought there were 2 pieces involved which I thought was going to cause me some grief? Her bike is in her finished basement but I am hoping to be able to push it outdoors for the oil/filter change due to the likely hood of a mess. She or her ex purchased Valvoline racing oil for it. I don't know the weight but is that recommended/acceptable oil for it? She said she paid $13.99 for it. Hopefully within the next fews weeks I am able to get down to do it?

50 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

I like my Benz and Grand Cherokee both have cartridge style oil filter.....no mess, easy install.

Just now, Poncho said:

I like my Benz and Grand Cherokee both have cartridge style oil filter.....no mess, easy install.

My son's Malibu has one of those which resides upside down on the top of his engine. Zero mess. My Ram is a bit of a pita due to location but at least it sits vertically. My wife's Impala is at the front of the car between the engine and the rad. It's a bit of a pain but because it sits horizontally, can make a decent mess if your not careful.  

1 hour ago, irv said:

I'm not overthinking it, like in my original post, I thought there were 2 pieces involved which I thought was going to cause me some grief? Her bike is in her finished basement but I am hoping to be able to push it outdoors for the oil/filter change due to the likely hood of a mess. She or her ex purchased Valvoline racing oil for it. I don't know the weight but is that recommended/acceptable oil for it? She said she paid $13.99 for it. Hopefully within the next fews weeks I am able to get down to do it?

I run full synthetic Harley oil 20 w 50.  You can use that in all 3 holes. Some guys use royal purple.  Just make sure to get another chrome filter cause a black one looks like shit.

37 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

I run full synthetic Harley oil 20 w 50.  You can use that in all 3 holes. Some guys use royal purple.  Just make sure to get another chrome filter cause a black one looks like shit.

In all 3 holes? Sorry, Jesse, not picking up what your saying? Imo, Royal Purple is a boutique oil and is nothing more than hyped, overpriced run of the mill oil. People like the purple color, however. :lol: She already has a filter which hopefully is the correct one. She told me she told her ex not to touch anything on her bike so she was pissed off he tried to remove the filter and change her oil. He purchased this filter for her, which I assume is the correct one but I know she is a bit concerned about that as well. There is no wrapper/part number on it she says so is there another way of finding out for sure beforehand? I guess taking it with you to a Harley dealer and sizing it up is likely the only option? I didn't know the guy but hearing as he also owned a Harley, hopefully he at least got the correct filter for it? 

Barbs filter.jpeg

7 minutes ago, irv said:

In all 3 holes? Sorry, Jesse, not picking up what your saying? Imo, Royal Purple is a boutique oil and is nothing more than hyped, overpriced run of the mill oil. People like the purple color, however. :lol: She already has a filter which hopefully is the correct one. She told me she told her ex not to touch anything on her bike so she was pissed off he tried to remove the filter and change her oil. He purchased this filter for her, which I assume is the correct one but I know she is a bit concerned about that as well. There is no wrapper/part number on it she says so is there another way of finding out for sure beforehand? I guess taking it with you to a Harley dealer and sizing it up is likely the only option? I didn't know the guy but hearing as he also owned a Harley, hopefully he at least got the correct filter for it? 

Barbs filter.jpeg

I don't use the royal, just sayin some people do. I use the HD stuff like I said.  There is 3 drain and fill plugs, at least on my old one which is a 80ci evo.  Engine, primary and transmission. That I think is a 96ci and should still be the same.  As far as the filter, it should be fine or just grab another one.  

32 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

I don't use the royal, just sayin some people do. I use the HD stuff like I said.  There is 3 drain and fill plugs, at least on my old one which is a 80ci evo.  Engine, primary and transmission. That I think is a 96ci and should still be the same.  As far as the filter, it should be fine or just grab another one.  

I had a quick look at some videos but obviously didn't pay enough attention as I wasn't aware of 3 fill and drain holes. I assume the manual covers/shows this as well? Hopefully she has one but I'll watch more carefully before I head out. Thanks. :bc:

How about a strap filter wrench?  Not the rubber ones you buy at Canadian tire but ones designed for an oil filter that you put your standard ratchet onto and crank.

Looks like you have enough room to slip the strap around filter.  Pretty cheap on amazon.ca. 

We have taken off some tough filters on construction sites with them.

Edited by Sksman

34 minutes ago, Sksman said:

How about a strap filter wrench?  Not the rubber ones you buy at Canadian tire but ones designed for an oil filter that you put your standard ratchet onto and crank.

Looks like you have enough room to slip the strap around filter.  Pretty cheap on amazon.ca. 

We have taken off some tough filters on construction sites with them.

I've got about 3 different types, including a strap wrench so I know I will be fine.