Slick Skid Removal

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Watch the video.  Point out the difficult part. 

Keep doing it the hard way.  No matter to me.  I R&R lots more skids than you ever will.  I prefer to do it the easiest way possible.  

:bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member

Quick way to get a skid in and keep the rails from catching on the drive lugs on the track is a pizza box between them. Slide the skid in and pull the cardboard out.

Edited by Rigid1

8 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Pretty cool but nothing new at all. Ive been removing and reinstalling skids this way for over 25 years. 

Ive argued with a number of you on this forum and HCS about this technique for over a decade. 

In 2012 I posted a video of me removing a skid in 90 seconds without impact tools only a ratchet. Same video showed the complete install in under 3 minutes without impact tools. 

I can install a skid in under 2 minutes with impact tools and that is torqued, locktited and ready to ride. 

Cool for sure but everyone who knows the slightest thing about sleds has been doing it this way for 3 decades or longer. 

:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, irv said:

I think the oiling system is the same on Nytro's unless they are mountain sleds which may have special anti drainback systems installed? I was more referring to the weight and trying to flip one over on its side and once there, how it can be supported without causing damage? Truthfully, I've never flipped any sled on its side to remove a skid so I am not knocking it as maybe it does work pretty slick but like I said, I highly highly doubt I'd even try with my Vector. 

Grab a ski and give it a go, handlebar stand to keep it from laying all the way over.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is the slowest most pathetic way to ever remove or install a skid. Only a complete idiot would install a skid that way. 

Shut up, Ben!  :lol2:

9 hours ago, DAVE said:

I find it easier the other way...whatevers easiest for me is the right way!!!!

Shut up, Ben!  :lol2:

9 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I would absolutely destroy you in skid removal and reinstallation. It wouldnt wven be close.   

There is no harder way to do it than the way you do. 

Shut up, Ben!  :lol2:

12 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

yea that is pretty trick.

Yes, but the video over simplified it.  He already loosened up the track, that takes a couple minutes.  You normally have to spin the mounting bolts in  and out a couple times to get them off both sides without spinning on the shaft, several more minutes.  And it’s usually easier on a torsion spring suspension to untension the springs, several more minutes.  I like the product, but I usually lay mine on some blankets Or something, and then lift the rear off the ground.

Edited by DriftBusta

13 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yes, but the video over simplified it.  He already loosened up the track, that takes a couple minutes.  You normally have to spin the mounting bolts in  and out a couple times to get them off both sides without spinning on the shaft, several more minutes.  And it’s usually easier on a torsion spring suspension to untension the springs, several more minutes.  I like the product, but I usually lay mine on some blankets Or something, and then lift the rear off the ground.

The fastest COMPLETE skid removal I’ve seen was a guy using an air gun years ago on a doo.

I sometimes forget how each sled is a bit different when it comes to skid removal.  Cat just have forks that slide up into tunnel in the front.  No bolts.  Excellent!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Pretty cool but nothing new at all. Ive been removing and reinstalling skids this way for over 25 years. 

Ive argued with a number of you on this forum and HCS about this technique for over a decade. 

In 2012 I posted a video of me removing a skid in 90 seconds without impact tools only a ratchet. Same video showed the complete install in under 3 minutes without impact tools. 

I can install a skid in under 2 minutes with impact tools and that is torqued, locktited and ready to ride. 

Cool for sure but everyone who knows the slightest thing about sleds has been doing it this way for 3 decades or longer. 

Over 50 years for me, opened up my first shop in 1967 in which I did all motorsports including custom cars and interiors.. I didn't want to say 2 minutes as I thought I'd be called a liar, it's so simple to do on its side it's crazy, and if you strap the suspension arms to the exact distance as the bolt holes in the tunnel it just falls in back in place..as some of you know I have a repair shop here and have done as many as 4 complete track changes in a day by myself, although I've slowed down now at almost 72 years old, I have a employee and together we can still get out a few sleds in a day.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Better, easier and more useful:

A5B5BA68-3788-4C6F-BADD-2B2E54C11114.jpeg

Tell whoever you hired to turn a wrench for you to make sure they clean up after.

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is the slowest most pathetic way to ever remove or install a skid. Only a complete idiot would install a skid that way. 

:Khashoggi:

no need for that back stand although i do use a threaded rod through the steering stem.  toss a 4x4 where the running board will roll up on it and the back comes right off the ground.  i always find the last bolt on the rear is the hardest to line up but even thats not a big deal.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Over 50 years for me, opened up my first shop in 1967 in which I did all motorsports including custom cars and interiors.. I didn't want to say 2 minutes as I thought I'd be called a liar, it's so simple to do on its side it's crazy, and if you strap the suspension arms to the exact distance as the bolt holes in the tunnel it just falls in back in place..as some of you know I have a repair shop here and have done as many as 4 complete track changes in a day by myself, although I've slowed down now at almost 72 years old, I have a employee and together we can still get out a few sleds in a day.

The old ratchet strap :thumb:

11 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

To prevent damage I use a section of old carpet or a furniture blanket.

Indeed, the old sleds with the wrap around bumpers didn't need a handlebar stand, just put them on there side. but not on the old reservoir side or with a full tank of fuel....I know this how :lol:

Carpet is such a friend for sled and man, unless you're a young man and don't need carpet.............. 

4 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

:thumbsup:

Grab a ski and give it a go, handlebar stand to keep it from laying all the way over.

Yup its pretty easy. I have used a 2x4 to support it many times.