Slick Skid Removal

4 minutes ago, irv said:

Not saying it isn't doable just saying it's not very smart, imo. 

Well I admit Ive never even seen a vector but I have removed/reinstalled no less than 30 Nytro skids using this method. Maybe a vector oiling system is different and I would have to reevaluate the process but on a Nytro or any 2 stroke on the planet this is by far the most efficient way to R&R a snowmobile skid. 

No other method is even close to this efficient. 

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I wish I had an garage Tom that lived there and did the hard shit for me lol

Dude. I showed up as a spectator at the SxS winter nationals 4 weeks ago in Parker AZ and some jackass put a crew shirt on me and made me pit for him. I loved every second of it but I was like wtf. You guys are supposed to have your crew all dialed in already. 

In October we were at the Vegas NHRA race. I stopped by an alcohol funny car pit during qualifying. Visited for a second. Asked a couple questions about their ned 4 disc clutch. The next thing I know the crew chief asked me to come back the next day and service the clutch for them because their clutch guy has to bail for family reasons. 

Getting shit done in short order is my middle name. Midgets are good like that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Dude. I showed up as a spectator at the SxS winter nationals 4 weeks ago in Parker AZ and some jackass put a crew shirt on me and made me pit for him. I loved every second of it but I was like wtf. You guys are supposed to have your crew all dialed in already. 

In October we were at the Vegas NHRA race. I stopped by an alcohol funny car pit during qualifying. Visited for a second. Asked a couple questions about their ned 4 disc clutch. The next thing I know the crew chief asked me to come back the next day and service the clutch for them because their clutch guy has to bail for family reasons. 

Getting shit done in short order is my middle name. Midgets are good like that.  

Well....you are a sharp guy....personable and totally non threatening due to your very tiny stature. Its no wonder people gravitate to you!!!11

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well....you are a sharp guy....personable and totally non threatening due to your very tiny stature. Its no wonder people gravitate to you!!!11

Hahaha. Being a midget has its advantages. I like airports and airplanes too. Crazy I know. 

19 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Well I admit Ive never even seen a vector but I have removed/reinstalled no less than 30 Nytro skids using this method. Maybe a vector oiling system is different and I would have to reevaluate the process but on a Nytro or any 2 stroke on the planet this is by far the most efficient way to R&R a snowmobile skid. 

No other method is even close to this efficient. 

I think the oiling system is the same on Nytro's unless they are mountain sleds which may have special anti drainback systems installed? I was more referring to the weight and trying to flip one over on its side and once there, how it can be supported without causing damage? Truthfully, I've never flipped any sled on its side to remove a skid so I am not knocking it as maybe it does work pretty slick but like I said, I highly highly doubt I'd even try with my Vector. 

7 minutes ago, irv said:

I think the oiling system is the same on Nytro's unless they are mountain sleds which may have special anti drainback systems installed? I was more referring to the weight and trying to flip one over on its side and once there, how it can be supported without causing damage? Truthfully, I've never flipped any sled on its side to remove a skid so I am not knocking it as maybe it does work pretty slick but like I said, I highly highly doubt I'd even try with my Vector. 

Nothing wrong with the way you do it...ive been doing it that way for as long as i can remember. 

:bc:

I had the skid out on my 08 d7 144 this summer and read it here to lay it on its side. Holy fuck was it life changing. So much easier to pull and reinstall. 

16 minutes ago, irv said:

A 5 gallon bucket under the end of the handlebar and it rests perfectly.  For long track sleds you use a 4x4 block under the running board to lift the rear of the skid off the ground.  Flipping them on their side is all in the technique.  When you see it done the first time you will say OMG that is unreal.  

8 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I had the skid out on my 08 d7 144 this summer and read it here to lay it on its side. Holy fuck was it life changing. So much easier to pull and reinstall. 

Yep.  It's unreal how many people struggle with skid R&R.  A little technique makes a mundane task so simple.  

A 5 gallon bucket under the end of the handlebar and it rests perfectly.  For long track sleds you use a 4x4 block under the running board to lift the rear of the skid off the ground.  Flipping them on their side is all in the technique.  When you see it done the first time you will say OMG that is unreal.  

I attach the bumper to my hoist...press a button and the back goes up and i pull out skid....how is that hard?

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Is it a race? You had to manhandle a sled....i didnt have too.

So when you R&R a skid does your knee or any other part of your body ever touch the ground?  How do you get the skid in and out of the tunnel?  Explain the process?  

If you think flipping a sled on it's side is manhandlin I have news for ya.  You are using the wrong technique.  

Edited by AKIQPilot

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So when you R&R a skid does your knee or any other part of your body ever ouch the round?  How do you get the skid in and out of the tunnel?  Explain the process?  

If you think flipping a sled on it's side is manhandlin I have news for ya.  You are using the wrong technique.  

Ive explained it to you before...loosen everything and lift...pull out skid. Reverse to put in

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Ive explained it to you before...loosen everything and lift...pull out skid. Reverse to put in

Does your knee touch the ground?  Any other part of your body?  

My way, similar to the video, is simple.  There is no manhandling.  Watch the video again.  Point out the part where he is manhandling the sled.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Does your knee touch the ground?  Any other part of your body?  

My way, similar to the video, is simple.  There is no manhandling.  Watch the video again.  Point out the part where he is manhandling the sled.  

Why would i have to put a knee on the ground?

You have never explained how you get the skid back in the tunnel.  I was just asking.

Where in the video is the guy manhandling the sled in your opinion.  

Ill agree he tips it easy...nice with that set up...crawling on the ground is not fun....i never leave my feet.

The opposite way i took it out.

Just now, DAVE said:

Ill agree he tips it easy...nice with that set up...crawling on the ground is not fun....i never leave my feet.

The opposite way i took it out.

Exactly, there is no manhandling the sled what so ever.  They tip right over.  Any sled will, regardless of make or model.  

As Tomas posted above, once he saw the "flip on side" method it was a game changer.  No reason to do it any other way.  Its so much easier that way.  

I've R&R'd no less than 250 skids in my life.  I like to do it the easy way.  I R&R's 4 skids last week.  Irondog boys were crying for help.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Exactly, there is no manhandling the sled what so ever.  They tip right over.  Any sled will, regardless of make or model.  

As Tomas posted above, once he saw the "flip on side" method it was a game changer.  No reason to do it any other way.  Its so much easier that way.  

I've R&R'd no less than 250 skids in my life.  I like to do it the easy way.  I R&R's 4 skids last week.  Irondog boys were crying for help.  

Not easier for me...thats all that matters to me.

Just now, DAVE said:

Im not the only one in the thread that does it that way....so not the only exception. 

Watch the video.  Point out the difficult part. 

Keep doing it the hard way.  No matter to me.  I R&R lots more skids than you ever will.  I prefer to do it the easiest way possible.