Broken/Bruised jaw, who's had one?

irv

My son just came home from hockey and said his jaw is sore due to taking a stick to the chin from someone's slapshot. It happened about an hour ago but he has no bleeding, no loose teeth and no swelling yet.

He did try to chew on a semi hard candy and said it hurt like a bitch. I did a Google search and read about these symptoms which he doesn't have other than the chewing part. He can open and close his jaw good with little to no pain, just hurts to chew.

Of course, being the cool guy, he wasn't wearing his mouth guard after being told repeatedly by my wife and I. My take is is it is only bruised but I'd love to hear other replies from those who've experienced the same thing.

Thanks. :bc:

39 minutes ago, irv said:

My son just came home from hockey and said his jaw is sore due to taking a stick to the chin from someone's slapshot. It happened about an hour ago but he has no bleeding, no loose teeth and no swelling yet.

He did try to chew on a semi hard candy and said it hurt like a bitch. I did a Google search and read about these symptoms which he doesn't have other than the chewing part. He can open and close his jaw good with little to no pain, just hurts to chew.

Of course, being the cool guy, he wasn't wearing his mouth guard after being told repeatedly by my wife and I. My take is is it is only bruised but I'd love to hear other replies from those who've experienced the same thing.

Thanks. :bc:

Well Irv, the first place I would go to after my son was hit in the head with a puck is Freedom Sledder.  I’m sure the vast brain power on this site will guide you to the correct place..........oh, btw, take him to the doctor, just saying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Well Irv, the first place I would go to after my son was hit in the head with a puck is Freedom Sledder.  I’m sure the vast brain power on this site will guide you to the correct place..........oh, btw, take him to the doctor, just saying.

:lol:

Valid point.

18 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Did the impact cause a clench in the teeth?  Could crack a tooth in that case.

He didn't say anything about clenching and nothing about cracked/loose or sore teeth. I just checked again a few minutes ago and he isn't swollen, has no blood, and can open and close his mouth OK. He just ate a small piece of chicken and said it hurt but I think if it were broken or fractured, the pain would be overwhelming? 

I'll check tomorrow and see how things look/feel for him.

13 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Just looking for opinions Ponch. He was in a hurry and wanted to get to his GF's place due to it being her 18th birthday so going to a doctor was out of the question. Trust me, I tried. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, irv said:

He didn't say anything about clenching and nothing about cracked/loose or sore teeth. I just checked again a few minutes ago and he isn't swollen, has no blood, and can open and close his mouth OK. He just ate a small piece of chicken and said it hurt but I think if it were broken or fractured, the pain would be overwhelming? 

I'll check tomorrow and see how things look/feel for him.

Just looking for opinions Ponch. He was in a hurry and wanted to get to his GF's place due to it being her 18th birthday so going to a doctor was out of the question. Trust me, I tried. 

If he ends up looking like Trap Jaw, I'm sure she'll still love him.  Lol.

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

If he ends up looking like Trap Jaw, I'm sure she'll still love him.  Lol.

I had to Google that, AC. :lol:

53 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

your son is a hockey player and proving it. Eating the pain and chasing the bunnies...…………………………….end the thread.

I replied in the CE section but to repeat, he is doing good. Said it feels fine and he has no swelling or bruising. And for the record, because some have reading comprehension issues, he didn't get a puck to the head, he got a stick to the chin when the guy followed through with his shot. Also, in case some are wondering, he, like all kids on his high school team wear full face helmets with cages, not just the bucket with nothing else or a small visor, but full regulation house/church/rep league type helmets.  

Edited by irv

23 hours ago, scottyr said:

You might want to call an oral surgeon and see if they can get him in for an x-ray.   

He's good. Chewing/eating normally and hardly any pain whatsoever. I, myself had a dentist appt Thursday and spoke to the dentist about it. He told me he would be in  excruciating pain if his jaw were broke or fractured. He said he likely pulled/tweaked some muscle at the joint and that is all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irv said:

He's good. Chewing/eating normally and hardly any pain whatsoever. I, myself had a dentist appt Thursday and spoke to the dentist about it. He told me he would be in  excruciating pain if his jaw were broke or fractured. He said he likely pulled/tweaked some muscle at the joint and that is all. 

Good to hear he’s ok.  Yuh...it’s the kind of sharp pain that makes you close your eyes and freeze as your whole body tingles.  There’s zero question you know something is really wrong.

34 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Good to hear he’s ok.  Yuh...it’s the kind of sharp pain that makes you close your eyes and freeze as your whole body tingles.  There’s zero question you know something is really wrong.

Thanks. :bc:

Yep, the dentist didn't even offer or tell me to bring him in for an x ray or a checkup. He knew, with what I told him, it was not broken or fractured. 

Edited by irv

3 hours ago, irv said:

Thats good to hear.   My wife is an RN at an oral surgery practice and she said that you would definitely know if it was broken.   :(   

• Like 1