Broken/Bruised jaw, who's had one?

irv

My son just came home from hockey and said his jaw is sore due to taking a stick to the chin from someone's slapshot. It happened about an hour ago but he has no bleeding, no loose teeth and no swelling yet.

He did try to chew on a semi hard candy and said it hurt like a bitch. I did a Google search and read about these symptoms which he doesn't have other than the chewing part. He can open and close his jaw good with little to no pain, just hurts to chew.

Of course, being the cool guy, he wasn't wearing his mouth guard after being told repeatedly by my wife and I. My take is is it is only bruised but I'd love to hear other replies from those who've experienced the same thing.

Thanks. :bc:

32 minutes ago, irv said:

My son just came home from hockey and said his jaw is sore due to taking a stick to the chin from someone's slapshot. It happened about an hour ago but he has no bleeding, no loose teeth and no swelling yet.

He did try to chew on a semi hard candy and said it hurt like a bitch. I did a Google search and read about these symptoms which he doesn't have other than the chewing part. He can open and close his jaw good with little to no pain, just hurts to chew.

Of course, being the cool guy, he wasn't wearing his mouth guard after being told repeatedly by my wife and I. My take is is it is only bruised but I'd love to hear other replies from those who've experienced the same thing.

Yes.  Once wired and the other I opted to let it heal without metal face. Bad idea.  Took a year before I could chew steak on the left side of my face!!!  

Give it a day but, I can tell you this, if it’s fractured, the pain when he bites down on whatever side it is will be amazing!  Not only that but, if he really cranks down on it it could fracture further.  Then it’s straw meal city!

it could also be badly bruised. That hirts like a bitch too...especially if it’s towards the hinge.

45 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Give it a day or so, if it swells up bad go for xrays.

I think he's just sore.

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yes.  Once wired and the other I opted to let it heal without metal face. Bad idea.  Took a year before I could chew steak on the left side of my face!!!  

Give it a day but, I can tell you this, if it’s fractured, the pain when he bites down on whatever side it is will be amazing!  Not only that but, if he really cranks down on it it could fracture further.  Then it’s straw meal city!

it could also be badly bruised. That hirts like a bitch too...especially if it’s towards the hinge.

Thanks guys. :bc:  He is off to his GF's and said it is not bad. He ate a small piece of chicken gingerly which he said hurt but I don't see any swelling. He has no blood, no missing/sore teeth and no misalignment. I am thinking bruised/sore but I will check again tomorrow. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Never broken just sore from eating pussy  :yahoo:

Just now, irv said:

Thanks guys. :bc:  He is off to his GF's and said it is not bad. He ate a small piece of chicken gingerly which he said hurt but I don't see any swelling. He has no blood, no missing/sore teeth and no misalignment. I am thinking bruised/sore but I will check again tomorrow. 

Well you should know something later tonight..........

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, irv said:

I’m no expert but like I said, any pressure on the side of the jaw (if fractured) is excruciating.  It sounds like he may have just gotten banged up.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

He's off to his GF's for her 18th birthday but I'll check with him when he gets home tonight.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’m no expert but like I said, any pressure on the side of the jaw (if fractured) is excruciating.  It sounds like he may have just gotten banged up.

I'm thinking the same. I've never had a broken/bruised jaw but I can only imagine what that would feel like! 

Give each side of the jaw bone a tap from the side/bottom where the skin is thin. If it lights up like he's getting a shock there could be a fracture. If his molars aren't lining up when he clenches his teeth he coulda tweeked his TMJ (joint)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I agree.

3 minutes ago, irv said:

He's off to his GF's for her 18th birthday but I'll check with him when he gets home tonight.

I'm thinking the same. I've never had a broken/bruised jaw but I can only imagine what that would feel like! 

If there was truly serious damage, he'd know about it. Haven't "broken" my jaw, definatelly banged it up a few times (sore to open or put pressure on when chewing) but collar bones, hands, foot, toes, fingers, leg, ribs. Instantly knew "yup, that's broken". 

1 minute ago, Tinker said:

Give each side of the jaw bone a tap from the side/bottom where the skin is thin. If it lights up like he's getting a shock there could be a fracture. If his molars aren't lining up when he clenches his teeth he coulda tweeked his TMJ (joint)

I read about the TMJ and his teeth line up perfect he said. He did say, which has me a bit more concerned, is that it is sore by his left ear, especially when he chews. He has gone out for dinner now and said he was going to order pasta. If I get the chance later, I'll ask him how things went with dinner. Hoping it's only a bruise and so far things are leading me to believe that's all it is.

1 hour ago, irv said:

Like I said in the Ontario site, Well Irv, the first place I would go to after my son was hit in the head with a puck is Freedom Sledder.  I’m sure the vast brain power on this site will guide you to the correct place..........oh, btw, take him to the doctor, just saying.

Edited by Poncho

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I agree.

If there was truly serious damage, he'd know about it. Haven't "broken" my jaw, definatelly banged it up a few times (sore to open or put pressure on when chewing) but collar bones, hands, foot, toes, fingers, leg, ribs. Instantly knew "yup, that's broken". 

I had a young kid skate right into me and take me out at stick and puck years ago and I knew right away I had a broken rib! The pain was instant as was the difficulty breathing! I'm thinking the same with my son's jaw. He said he played the rest of the game so I can't honestly see it being broken? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poncho said:

Like I said in the Ontario, Well Irv, the first place I would go to after my son was hit in the head with a puck is Freedom Sledder.  I’m sure the vast brain power on this site will guide you to the correct place..........oh, btw, take him to the doctor, just saying.

I heard you the first time Ponch, and it wasn't a puck to the head, it was a stick to the chin. Thanks for sharing your wit and your insight in this thread as well. I'm sure the members here will appreciate your comments. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Sorry, Jimmy, that went right over my head earlier! :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, snopro31 said:

can he clinch his teeth?

ive had some patients with broken jaws and the stories had be scratching my head on how. 

I never asked him but just finished asking him how he was doing? He said it feels better and that was all I got so I assume it is going to be OK? If I see him in the morning I'll check him out and ask him that and some other questions about it. Personally, I think he took the blow and likely jarred/bruised it? At least that is how it's looking so far.

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, irv said:

My daughter is still sore from the shot she took over a month ago, but hers was more in the teeth