dem Alt Left Dreams Of High Speed Trains Won't Be Leaving The Station

28 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Just think, $77 billion for a high-speed rail line isn't a waste of money, but $5.7 billion for a wall and border security is worth shutting the government down for wasteful spending.

Hard to imagine the logic.  It has nothing to do with the $$$, it's all caused by the simple fact that they don't want trump to succeed in any way.

• Platinum Contributing Member

So High Speed rail is off to a great start. How the hell are we ever going to have a system connecting separate states together when they can't even connect a couple cities?

“build out high-speed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary.”

46 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

So High Speed rail is off to a great start. How the hell are we ever going to have a system connecting separate states together when they can't even connect a couple cities?

Why aren’t businessmen lining up to fund this venture? You could charge for the tickets and get your 77 billion back in no time!!!!!1

:lmao: 

• Haha 2

• Gold Member

Real estate needed for rail is very expensive and a lengthy project due to the process of taking people’s land.  It’s just not rail but the other infrastructure needed to power the rail.   77 billion is a way undershooting the cost of one of these projects.

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Airlines cram planes tighter and tighter, regularly hike fees and invent new things to charge for, and continue cutting back on customer service... Yeah, they're definitely running on a great fiscal model :lol: 

Well seeing ya can fly from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale for about $15 more then ya could in 1984 , what does one expect.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Airlines cram planes tighter and tighter, regularly hike fees and invent new things to charge for, and continue cutting back on customer service... Yeah, they're definitely running on a great fiscal model :lol: 

Historically flights have never been cheaper than now. The planes today are faster, more fuel efficient and much quieter than a similar plane of just 20 years ago.  

Airtravel is simple and safe and cheap for the consumer.  Even TSA is barely an inconvenience.  

I am on between 40 and 50 flights per year.  Airtravel has never been better than it is now  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Historically flights have never been cheaper than now. The planes today are faster, more fuel efficient and much quieter than a similar plane of just 20 years ago.  

Airtravel is simple and safe and cheap for the consumer.  Even TSA is barely an inconvenience.  

I am on between 40 and 50 flights per year.  Airtravel has never been better than it is now  

Baller?

21 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

A high speed train is way more important than a silly wall. But not at $77 billion. It seems the Europeans and Japanese can do trains far cheaper and better. Why not get them to come here and build it. 

Well the distance this train was supposed to cover would travel across most European countries and Japan, so they don't have to do much more.

14 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Hes not very tall...much easier.

Midgets fly for half price by the way. Some of our flights are comped if we entertain the other passengers adequately.

I fly a lot. I dont mind it a bit. It just means I’m going somewhere cool or warm if thats where I want to go.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If your taller than 5’5” you are uncomfortable, over 6 feet and it’s almost impossible to fly anymore.

I dont have an issue at my height since ive lost weight. When i was chubbier i got the emerg exit seats.

19 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well the distance this train was supposed to cover would travel across most European countries and Japan, so they don't have to do much more.

The high speed train in japan stretches for 320 miles. It’s about 50 more miles from LA to San Fran. So no. 

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The high speed train in japan stretches for 320 miles. It’s about 50 more miles from LA to San Fran. So no. 

The passenger rail systems in Japan and France have been in development for over 50 years the US gave up on passenger service for the most part 50 years ago, the closest thing to high speed rail in the US is the Northeast Corridor which is maybe 150mph. For high speed like they have overseas you would need a separate right of way with wide sweeping curves no grade crossings, couple that with having to run the overhead wires to power the trains as diesel electrics are not capable of 200mph+ the 77bil in Ca. was a drop in the bucket for what this project will cost to go nation wide, the costs far outweigh the benefits

11 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

The passenger rail systems in Japan and France have been in development for over 50 years the US gave up on passenger service for the most part 50 years ago, the closest thing to high speed rail in the US is the Northeast Corridor which is maybe 150mph. For high speed like they have overseas you would need a separate right of way with wide sweeping curves no grade crossings, couple that with having to run the overhead wires to power the trains as diesel electrics are not capable of 200mph+ the 77bil in Ca. was a drop in the bucket for what this project will cost to go nation wide, the costs far outweigh the benefits

The idea of this going nationwide isn’t even being suggested. It’s about taking pressure off the freeway system between urban areas. Only an idiot would be against that. The high speed rail systems in other countries have been updated and modified several times since its infancy. 

• Gold Member

Trump should propose building a high speed rail from the Pacific Ocean to New Orleans on the southern border right of way....  just make it a 30 ft tall solid concrete elevated track and attach it to the New Green deal.  Jump on a high speed train in San Diego and be in New Orleans 30 hours or so later!  Just imagine the environmental savings!!!

On 2/14/2019 at 9:22 AM, AKIQPilot said:

Hopefully @Mileage Psycho Stops in to educate himself just a little bit.  He is a big thinker and all ya know  

I'm still a proponent of high speed rail to connect major metro areas, of course troglodytes like yourself have the inability to see anything that is innovative.

It's going to happen, the ball is in motion.

Houston-Dallas high-speed rail construction may begin in late 2019

The train would travel at 200 miles per hour between 10 counties with trains departing every 30 minutes.

The proposed route runs up through northwest Harris County roughly paralleling U.S. 290 until turning north toward Waller County, according to maps provided on the Texas Central website. The route from Houston to Dallas could include a midpoint stop in Bryan or College Station.

According to estimates, commuters could travel about 50 minutes faster by the proposed train than plane and about 70 minutes faster than by driving in either direction between Houston to Dallas.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/spring/news/article/Houston-Dallas-high-speed-rail-construction-may-13620560.php

Aside from a fast commute, the rail may also alleviate congestion along the major roadways between Houston to Dallas, including Interstate 45.