Official Iron Dog thread

BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are they all running 600's or 800's?? Or run what ever?

And all you guys posting links, pics, and vids, Thank you, it's very cool to see.:bc:

Edited by Rigid1

37 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are they all running 600's or 800's?? Or run what ever?

And all you guys posting links, pics, and vids, Thank you, it's very cool to see.:bc:

600's

IMG_4554.thumb.PNG.e95057454203348f59842d922f283e43.PNG

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hunt_ak said:

I hope mechanic AKIQpilot is watching some of the garage happenings to give us a blow-by-blow! :D

Ive been out in the mountains exploring the southwest. I havent seen anything from the garage cams. 

I talked with team 14 yeaterday before their inspection.  All is good. They will adjust the track and chain and change drive belt at most. Couple of minutes on the clock is their guess. 

Talked to Team 30. No issues or problems. Standard maintenance. A few minutes on the clock. 

Talked to team 5. No issues but they started losing mph on the yukon. Hope its drive belts. Routine maintenance. A few minutes on the clock. 

I think Team 10 will have a little clutch maintenance. Seemed like Chris’ sled was making a lot of belt noise when they pulled into white mountain. 

I heard from a couple teams in Nome and they confirmed that almost every team looks great and very little visible damage for anyone in the garage. 

21 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Ive been out in the mountains exploring the southwest. I havent seen anything from the garage cams. 

I talked with team 14 yeaterday before their inspection.  All is good. They will adjust the track and chain and change drive belt at most. Couple of minutes on the clock is their guess. 

Talked to Team 30. No issues or problems. Standard maintenance. A few minutes on the clock. 

Talked to team 5. No issues but they started losing mph on the yukon. Hope its drive belts. Routine maintenance. A few minutes on the clock. 

I think Team 10 will have a little clutch maintenance. Seemed like Chris’ sled was making a lot of belt noise when they pulled into white mountain. 

I heard from a couple teams in Nome and they confirmed that almost every team looks great and very little visible damage for anyone in the garage. 

If you havent been....go check out valley of fire

51 minutes ago, DAVE said:

If you havent been....go check out valley of fire

We spent some time in Valley of Fire Nevada last year.  Is there a VoF in AZ?  

We just took a day trip up to Oatman AZ today.  Lots of cool history there.  It's like an abandoned mining town from the early 1900's.  Lots of cool old stuff.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

We spent some time in Valley of Fire Nevada last year.  Is there a VoF in AZ?  

We just took a day trip up to Oatman AZ today.  Lots of cool history there.  It's like an abandoned mining town from the early 1900's.  Lots of cool old stuff.  

Not that i know of. :lol:

I went to oatman last yr....you took route 66 from kingman im guessing..

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Well yea but we were never really close to Kingman.  Up 95 to I40. West on I40 to Topock. North on Route 66 to Oatman.  

10-4 i took it right out of kingman...the turnoff to lake havusu is farther down then i remember.

Anyway sorry for fucking up your thread.

:lol:

:bc:

28 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

amazing that team 8 after the accident only took 4 minutes to do the service here and are in 5th.  

And now just 22 minutes out of first place.  They spent about 85 minutes repairing Tylers sled in Mcgrth.  About 900 miles till the finish line and they are only 22 minutes from the lead.  Any slight mishap and they move up to a podium.  They will pass a couple of teams even without mishaps.  It will be very hard to catch Team 10 if everyone has a smooth race south to Fairbanks.

Did you notice the weather in Nome.  Near whiteout conditions for the first 250 miles along the coast.  It may not lay down by morning.  

Just now, DAVE said:

The road from kingman to oatman is pretty cool...highly recommend.

I havnt been in the desert southwest since mid 80's. Im obviously overdue. And the desert in bloom in awesome.

2 minutes ago, hunt_ak said:

Tom can you give me the synopsis on the apparent goofy layover deal with Team 6?  I couldn't follow the scuttlebutt on Facebook....

Hahaha.  Well,  I woke up this morning thinking the front runners would be almost to Tanana and possibly headed on the Manley for their last stop before the push home to FBX tomorrow morning.  Team 10 and Team 14 were almost to Tanana and making great time.  Team 6, in 3rd place just a few minutes behind Team 14, stopped and declared a LO in Galena.  While this isn't terribly unusual it was a little strange.  All 3 teams had taken a 10hr LO in Kaltag.  All 3 Teams got to Galena only 1 hour down the trail, within about 20 minutes of one another.  Teams 10 and 14 kept on going and ran for a few hours and made it all the way to Manley several hundred miles down trail.  When Team 6 got to Galena they knew they were making good time and they actually really closed the gap on the second place team, (14).  Team 6 ran the section from Kaltag to Galena 10 minutes faster than Team 14 and 1 minute faster than the Race Leaders.  They knew this when they entered the checkpoint because they can ask the checkers for details on the teams in front of them.  It was 2am.  They had just come off a 10hr LO and rode for 1hr then took another 10hr LO.  It just seemed strange to me.

I posted the question on the ID Group page and no one had a logical explanation on why they would stop in the middle of the night after only riding 1hr.  Especially seeing how they made up so much time on the teams right in front of them.  I mean they couldn't literally see Team 14's tail lights but they could see on the stats sheet that they gained 10 minutes on Team 14 in only 1hrs time.  

Another very interesting thing about Team 6.  They thought they blew up entering Koyuk on the Norton Sound.  They messed around for 20+ minutes before they realized the motor wasn't seized it was the primary clutch that seized and it had grabbed the belt so tight it stopped the motor and you couldn't even pull the motor over with the starter rope.  After dinking around for 20 minutes they decided it was just the clutch.  Eye witness reports are they removed the seized weights, ramps and rollers out of the clutch and it freed right up and the motor started.  They decided to "unscratch" and get back in the race.  Here's where it gets weird.  They are running a primary with 1/3 of the weights out of it.  You would think the motor would over rev and vibrate and just be all mixed up but they have been running nearly 100MPH the whole way down the coast.  The were one of the fastest teams from Nome to Kaltag.  Even with their 20-30 minute delay in Koyuk they made time on the teams in front of them. 

No one can point to a time when they changed the primary and the locals in Koyuk said they left with a primary that was missing 1/3 of it's important parts.  How the heck are they able to go so fast with a primary so messed up?

• Like 3