Official Iron Dog thread

BOHICA

• Gold Member

looks like the trail class starts Friday.  Pro class looks to be start a couple days later.   Looking at the Pro Class lineup it appears to rather small this year and alot of names from past years don't appear to be on the lineup. 

https://www.irondog.org/

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

Should be an interesting year for sure. Several top Poo teams jumped on Doo’s this year. Gonna be interesting to see. 

Several teams have made it to The coast in Unalakleet already during practice this year. Lots of teams have +3000 miles of practice. Almost every team has +1800 miles. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Should be an interesting year for sure. Several top Poo teams jumped on Doo’s this year. Gonna be interesting to see. 

Several teams have made it to The coast in Unalakleet already during practice this year. Lots of teams have +3000 miles of practice. Almost every team has +1800 miles. 

Yeah, that’s really interesting.  Doo is basically non-existant on the USXC circuit this year but killing the SX track.  I can’t wait to see how they do here.

You gonna be giving us a play by play from the ground again or are you still being selfish in your “retirement”?

:lmao:

:bc:

Just now, Kev144 said:

Are there any cat teams at all this year? :dunno: 

Yes there are 4 cat teams. Team 30 should do well on the Cats. I think this is Blakes first time racing the Iron Dog but Kyle has finished several times. 

They have had a few motor problems in practice. Burned one down and just no speed out of the other. Cat reflashed their ECM to withstand the lower octane fuel along the race. Hopefully their race sheds will hold together for them. 

40 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yes there are 4 cat teams. Team 30 should do well on the Cats. I think this is Blakes first time racing the Iron Dog but Kyle has finished several times. 

They have had a few motor problems in practice. Burned one down and just no speed out of the other. Cat reflashed their ECM to withstand the lower octane fuel along the race. Hopefully their race sheds will hold together for them. 

Yeah I know newf on tbp ran cains quest last year on cat 800s and had all sorts of issues with them.  Motor specifically 

Team 31 will be fast. They dont have a bunch of experience with this race but they are young and fast. 

Team 14 will be fast. Young multi time MX and SnoX champs. If they are able to avoid a smidgen of bad luck they will do well. 

Team 20 will be fast. If Robbies sled holds up they should place well. 

Team 15 will be fast. Wes Selby is a multi time XC National champ and has ridden for Cat for nearly 2 decades. Micah is not as fast but knows the trail and knows those Cats as good as anyone. They are one of the 4 Cat teams that has a chance to finish. 

Team 30 is one of the teams that I helped this year. They are not all that fast and always have horrible luck. Maybe things will go OK for them. The Cats have been quite disappointing in practice. Slow and motor problems.  Their end of the pack starting position is not going to help at all. Kyle is fairly prepared and this is Blakes first try at the Irondog. 

Team 25 is another team that I helped this year. They are not fast and have a bad starting position. They will be lucky to finish. 

Team 10 is fast and very experienced.  Starting dead last is not going to help them at all. Hope they have a smooth first day tomorrow. They could win this again 

Team 8 will be bad ass. The only thing keeping these two from another win will be mechanical problems. Hope they have a smooth trouble free race. 

Team 14 will be bad ass too. Super prepared. +3000 practice miles. They are on doos this year.  It will be interesting to see how well they do. I expect a top 3 finish. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Team 31 will be fast. They dont have a bunch of experience with this race but they are young and fast. 

Team 14 will be fast. Young multi time MX and SnoX champs. If they are able to avoid a smidgen of bad luck they will do well. 

Team 20 will be fast. If Robbies sled holds up they should place well. 

Team 15 will be fast. Wes Selby is a multi time XC National champ and has ridden for Cat for nearly 2 decades. Micah is not as fast but knows the trail and knows those Cats as good as anyone. They are one of the 4 Cat teams that has a chance to finish. 

Team 30 is one of the teams that I helped this year. They are not all that fast and always have horrible luck. Maybe things will go OK for them. The Cats have been quite disappointing in practice. Slow and motor problems.  Their end of the pack starting position is not going to help at all. Kyle is fairly prepared and this is Blakes first try at the Irondog. 

Team 25 is another team that I helped this year. They are not fast and have a bad starting position. They will be lucky to finish. 

Team 10 is fast and very experienced.  Starting dead last is not going to help them at all. Hope they have a smooth first day tomorrow. They could win this again 

Team 8 will be bad ass. The only thing keeping these two from another win will be mechanical problems. Hope they have a smooth trouble free race. 

Team 14 will be bad ass too. Super prepared. +3000 practice miles. They are on doos this year.  It will be interesting to see how well they do. I expect a top 3 finish. 

Thx for the lowdown Tom

:bc:

So here is a bit of an update. 

Racers woke up to about 8” of fresh snow overnight. Still snowing hard and another foot is expected to accumulate on the south side of the Alaska Range. 

Team 20 was out of the gate first and made a quick trip to skwentna. They were the fastest team to Skwentna by a pretty good margin. They decided to take a 6hr layover to get out of the snow and flat light. Everyone else pushed on and is making good time up to Puntilla. 

Team 5 and Team 14 were moving at a great pace but Team 5 has slowed down quite a bit in the last 30 minutes. 

Team 8 and 16 have been on a steady pace. Not quite as fast as the young kids in front of them but a solid pace none the less. 

I believe most teams will try to push to McGrath tonight. McGrath is about 350 miles from the starting line. 

Deep snow on the south side of the Alaska Range will cause some problems and slow everyone down. 

Team 15 is chugging along nicely  not super fast but definitely steady  

No scratches so far that I can tell. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, farmereddie said:

Pulling for Team 31 this year !  That young gun from Mn is now living in Alaska . They will be hauling the mail this year !  

Wes has the advantage for sure.  Lost 20-25 pounds when he got his hair cut before the GG-500.

Well the front runners will be pulling into McGrath in about 20 minutes. 5 teams should arrive in the next half hour. Lots more teams will arrive over the next couple of hours. 

Of the top 5 teams into McGrath it looks like 4 are on Doos and 1 is on Poos. 

Team 15 is still maki g steady progress. 

I think when the dust settles and the times corrected for their starting order Team 10 will be in a very good place. 

Team 20 has completed their layover and are now on the trail toward Puntilla and eventually McGrath. They will be able to ride fast at night but the trail has been pretty beat up from all the other racers that came through already. 

Still no scratches as far as I can tell. 

Just heard something from McGrath. Sounds like there was a pretty bad wreck just outside McGrath. A couple of teams involved. Possible injuries. 

This is not official and only happened minutes ago but it sounds like team 16 and team 8 may have crashed into one another. One rider from team 8 may have a broken leg. 

Weather in McGrath is horrible. Zero viz. IFR flight only. This is no place to be laid up with a broken leg. 

Not good at all

11 minutes ago, hunt_ak said:

Any news on 8/16 getting tangled up, Tom?  Reports of them limping into McGrath...

Yea. Team 16 crashed into Team 8. Tyler has a broken leg. 

I heard that from someone in McGrath. 

Correction. It sounds like Team 16 has the rider with the broken leg. Todd Minnick ran into Aklestads sled hauling ass and Todd ended up with a broken leg. 

Sleds are pretty messed up too. 

Edited by AKIQPilot