Dems, their own worst enemy

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It’s why people like me can’t vote dem outside of local/state elections. They get pushed so far left into looney tune land that it’s laughable.

This, only dem I voted for last election was district atty.

1 hour ago, XC.Morrison said:

What seems to be at play here are what I like to call the “buster faction”.  They threw a fit in 2016 cause their boy, the more extreme of the two, wasn’t nominated.  Rather than see a moderate who would have done far more to advance their agenda than the Republican offering, they basically said, “If I can’t have it all then I want none of it - humphh!!”  I’m not on Facebook but my wife is and she’s tells me she’s seeing all these same folks threatening the same thing again - vote for my extreme candidate of choice or we’re all gonna bust just to teach you moderates a lesson.  They’re suffering from a bad case of “both sides are the same”.   It’s not like the people who’ve thrown their hats in the ring so far aren’t cognizant of this and that is in my opinion why you’re seeing them try to kowtow to that faction.  They know the rest of us moderates will come along for the ride rather than throw a protest vote to #45, so their calculus has them posturing as more progressive than they probably otherwise would.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  But what they fail to see is that by busting, all they’ve done is allow Trump to stack the courts with people who would make any changes they want even more difficult.    And here they are threatening to do it again unless they get their extremist of choice.   Reeeeal smart.

:goodpost:

13 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It’s why people like me can’t vote dem outside of local/state elections. They get pushed so far left into looney tune land that it’s laughable.

McConnel is smart. That’s such a good play. Force the entire 2020 field to vote yes on it and give Trump all the ammo he could need. So smart. Throw late term abortions on there and he can basically give Trump a gift. 

The old turtle has been around a long time....he's politically saavy.

24 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

You didn't try to stop it. Ya had a perfectly good candidate at the first primary debate and ya chucked him because he answered all lives matter instead of black lives matter. Dude was enough of a centrist to get not only the indy votes but even some crossover votes. No you didn't try to stop it.

I got a few minutes to Google him - looks like he dropped out in October of 2015 so the voters didn't even get a say during any primaries.  I don't think it would have made much difference, but he could have at least stuck around for a few primaries before pulling the plug.  :dunno:

9 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

I got a few minutes to Google him - looks like he dropped out in October of 2015 so the voters didn't even get a say during any primaries.  I don't think it would have made much difference, but he could have at least stuck around for a few primaries before pulling the plug.  :dunno:

Don't feel bad. I was a Rand Paul guy and he dropped before my primary. I never looked , was Webb also up for reelection? Maybe why he dropped. I just remember seeing him and thinking " hey, this guys not fucked in the head"

36 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

McConnel is smart. That’s such a good play. Force the entire 2020 field to vote yes on it and give Trump all the ammo he could need. So smart. Throw late term abortions on there and he can basically give Trump a gift. 

Yes, a smart move politically, but damn is that always what has to be thought about?  Why can't something just be the right thing to do for the people of this country instead? 

That's all the media seems to do now as well, write articles designed to make a candidate look bad instead of what is best for the country.

I guess the litmus test for whether dems should position themselves as more or less progressive came in the form of the midterms, where it seems the message was "the more progressive, the better".  You can't fault the current crop for going with what seems to be working.

28 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yes, a smart move politically, but damn is that always what has to be thought about?  Why can't something just be the right thing to do for the people of this country instead? 

That's all the media seems to do now as well, write articles designed to make a candidate look bad instead of what is best for the country.

Because people have different views on what is best for the country....always have, always will.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Because people have different views on what is best for the country....always have, always will.

Really? 

We all seem to be of the opinion that spending is out of control.  Taxes are too high.  SS is not an entitlement.  Being the world police is bad.  Carbon taxes won't help.  Illegal immigration is a problem.

I think that the candidates push the divide instead of pushing unity, same with the media.

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Really? 

We all seem to be of the opinion that spending is out of control.  Taxes are too high.  SS is not an entitlement.  Being the world police is bad.  Carbon taxes won't help.  Illegal immigration is a problem.

I think that the candidates push the divide instead of pushing unity, same with the media.

Seriously....do you live under a rock? 

7 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Why in the hell would you bring up late term abortions, and some crazy green energy proposal that the majority of the country will not favor, when the next election is around the corner?

fucking idiots just handed the repukes two major weapons to use against them in the next election. Neither topic should have been brought up, especially the late term abortion stuff. 

Yep.  The dems in the past few weeks have handed Trump his top campaign issues for 2020.   The left just can't control themselves.   You could see it at the SoTU.   They are going extreme left and America doesn't want that yet.

Edited by Highmark

3 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

I guess the litmus test for whether dems should position themselves as more or less progressive came in the form of the midterms, where it seems the message was "the more progressive, the better".  You can't fault the current crop for going with what seems to be working.

You read it wrong. The message was " we are not Trump" 

Hopefully for the good of the country they will read it as the more progressive the better.

8 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Not when the repukes will continue to talk about it

Pick 27 shit hole things the Republican Party has done to America over the last 10 years. Compare that to moving the country ahead of on par with other countries. I think many would be surprised with the green energy bill’s support.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Pick 27 shit hole things the Republican Party has done to America over the last 10 years. Compare that to moving the country ahead of on par with other countries. I think many would be surprised with the green energy bill’s support.

:lol:   You're fucking loony.   People love to travel.   Love their internal combustion engines.   Trying to make drastic changes to that in 12 years is not going to gain the left votes.   It will cost them big time.  2.9 million people fly every single day in the US.   When you tout RADICAL programs the other side takes advantage of it.  

39 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

on par with venezuela?

no thanks

you move there instead

10 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Maybe someday Democrats will learn that bourgeois elections don't change shit and we can finally get on with killing all the billionaires and seizing the means of production.

Weird,. Why wouldn’t Dems be on board with murdering people?   Stupid Dems!  

10 hours ago, rump-rider said:

Who are these moderate democrats? Other than Joe Manchin and Biden, I can't think of any notable ones. :dunno: 

I like Joe .    Seems like a guy who would take the election in a landslide.   Does he not have presidential aspirations? 

Edited by Cold War