A record 7 million Americans are 3 months behind on their car payments, a red flag for the economy

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol:

another nimwit. Skidmark copied and pasted that from the same article MC posted. Maybe you should read things before claiming “owned” or accusing the author of manipulating readers like racer did?

Things I posted prove its not worse as the poat suggests and yes right from the article.  

13 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I almost always have saved enough cash to pay cash for cars and trucks.

That is an old school way of thinking and isn't really relevant anymore.  With cheap borrowing(0% financing or low) that money is actually better off invested.  But only if it really is invested.

What’s funny is members here point fingers at people who buy more car than they can afford as the reason for defaults.

They need a car to get to work. If they weren’t working the same morons would be complaining they were sucking off the system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

What’s funny is members here point fingers at people who buy more car than they can afford as the reason for defaults.

They need a car to get to work. If they weren’t working the same morons would be complaining they were sucking off the system.

So buying and paying of a $50k car you can't afford is smarter than a used $5K that will do everything you need it to do?

32 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That is an old school way of thinking and isn't really relevant anymore.  With cheap borrowing(0% financing or low) that money is actually better off invested.  But only if it really is invested.

I am invested, mostly Franklin Templeton income funds which generates a Monthly dividend, I've been investing since 1967, the cash I save to buy Cars/Trucks now a days usually takes 2 -3 years to be able to pay with cash, done that since I was a young man, paid off my first home at age 24, I bought it when I was 18, and paid cash for the home I lived in now since 1991, this is my 3rd. home, the second home I rented out to others and sold it in the 1990's.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I am invested, mostly Franklin Templeton income funds which generates a Monthly dividend, I've been investing since 1967, the cash I save to buy Cars/Trucks now a days usually takes 2 -3 years to be able to pay with cash, done that since I was a young man, paid off my first home at age 24, I bought it when I was 18, and paid cash for the home I lived in now since 1991, this is my 3rd. home, the second home I rented out to others and sold it in the 1990's.

I understand that, its a comfort feeling though.  Just ordered the wife a new Jeep Cherokee Overland that we will pay cash for at the end of this month.  Regardless if you run the numbers against cheap financing, there are few scenarios where you will be better off paying cash vs investing.

40 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So buying and paying of a $50k car you can't afford is smarter than a used $5K that will do everything you need it to do?

The words "want" and "need" are what get people in financial trouble for the most part. :lmao:

54 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

What do you blame for the defaults?

It's more than just the fancy new car or truck they have. Add up the huge mortgage payments a lot of people have to live in the "it" house, The wonderful tax bills on said house.

the huge cell phone bills, the ridiculous cable bills, the constant eating dinners out, paying outlandish money so their kids can go to college, the ridiculous credit card debt they hold.

But no. It's not in any way the consumers responsibility... Ok

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JEFF said:

What do you blame for the defaults?

It's more than just the fancy new car or truck they have. Add up the huge mortgage payments a lot of people have to live in the "it" house, The wonderful tax bills on said house.

the huge cell phone bills, the ridiculous cable bills, the constant eating dinners out, paying outlandish money so their kids can go to college, the ridiculous credit card debt they hold.

But no. It's not in any way the consumers responsibility... Ok

Repugs blame themselves for life's failures, Dems blame Repugs for their failures.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

Wages: *stagnant for 4 decades*

Reactionary morons: "why are so many people having financial trouble?"

Youre like a broken record...

Someone needs to throw you away.

57 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I understand that, its a comfort feeling though.  Just ordered the wife a new Jeep Cherokee Overland that we will pay cash for at the end of this month.  Regardless if you run the numbers against cheap financing, there are few scenarios where you will be better off paying cash vs investing.

Im looking at another low mile German car stillunder warranty, priced about half what a new one costs.  I’ve put 125k in the one I have now, and it’s working out to about .17-.18 a mile to own over the past 6 years.  Works for me. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

But it is a record, and not a good thing. That was the point.

:lol:   Not really.   When that many more people are getting loans and keeping up payments its better than in 2010.  

From 5.8% delinquent to 4.5% is a 15.1% decrease in delinquencies.   How is that worse?

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Only 7 million Americans trying to walk in shoes too big for their feet.

Think about it this way though.  If they weren't buying brand new cars then the automakers wouldn't be able to sell as many.  And if they can't sell as many expensive cars, then they can't justify hiring more people to produce them.  Then more people end up without jobs.  So you're anti job, you should be ashamed. :) 

10 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Think about it this way though.  If they weren't buying brand new cars then the automakers wouldn't be able to sell as many.  And if they can't sell as many expensive cars, then they can't justify hiring more people to produce them.  Then more people end up without jobs.  So you're anti job, you should be ashamed. :) 

I buy new, for everything.