A looming retirement crisis threatens us and future generations. Here's how we can avoid it

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mainecat said:

Explain how I cheated the system.

Paying a low wage and taking income as a distribution.   Did your wife ever look into those practices at your company?   The rules are vague for reasonable compensation and you admittedly walked a fine line there.  

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

This is not my problem because I am 63. It’s your problem and pointing fingers on people who don’t put money is away is the usual excuse. The facts point to workers are underpaid and will be unemployed down the road because of age or disability when they are 65. Millions will exhaust their equities in their homes and will face evictions and their homes will be foreclosed and sold for cheap lowering everyone’s home values.

doing nothing now is insane. It’s time to eliminate the cap and have a national healthcare program and give all Americans breathing room instead of rewarding the 1% at every turn.

:lol:   Like I said.

MC: I got mine.....too bad raise the taxes now that I'm out.  

Just now, Anler said:

Id say generally yes. 

I'd tend to disagree.   I don't know many successful businessmen (women) who don't realize much of success lies behind hiring good people.   Keeping good people requires good compensation.  Might not be from top all the way down to the bottom but you got to pay to play so to speak.  

Just now, Highmark said:

I'd tend to disagree.   I don't know many successful businessmen (women) who don't realize much of success lies behind hiring good people.   Keeping good people requires good compensation.  Might not be from top all the way down to the bottom but you got to pay to play so to speak.  

My friends who work in the corporate environment (including my wife) have told me stories that reinforce my beliefs. They treat people like furniture. 

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Paying a low wage and taking income as a distribution.   Did your wife ever look into those practices at your company?   The rules are vague for reasonable compensation and you admittedly walked a fine line there.  

I never cheated the system. It’s sad that you accused me of it but I am not surprised.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

I paid SS for 44 years. It’s time to change the rules.

Im on 30 years and I max out every year. I am not opposed to raising the cap. But I know there is a lot of fraud in SS that needs to be cleaned up. 

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

I never cheated the system. It’s sad that you accused me of it but I am not surprised.

Call it whatever you want.   You said at least once you lowered your salary to avoid FICA and Medicare taxes and got paid thru a distribution.   Play all high and almighty now but I remember it well.   Do you deny doing it?

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Anler said:

Im on 30 years and I max out every year. I am not opposed to raising the cap. But I know there is a lot of fraud in SS that needs to be cleaned up. 

Of course there is fraud. It exists everywhere

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Call it whatever you want.   You said at least once you lowered your salary to avoid FICA and Medicare taxes and got paid thru a distribution.   Play all high and almighty now but I remember it well.   Do you deny doing it?

Cheated? Lol it’s kinda low. Personally accusing the thread poster of cheating deflects from the thread topic but as usual it’s how republicans operate. Your generation and the republicans are avoiding the topic but will pay for it later in spades. They even call ss an “entitlement”

Edited by Mainecat

Just now, steve from amherst said:

But what are they going to do then? They already used their unemployment before they signed up for SSI.

There are parts of the country where the employer of 80% (or more) of the population is the govt. Welfare and disability are not career choices. They are meant to be a hand up, not a hand out. If any of these politicians had a hair on their nuts they go after these disability lawyers, the doctors and the judges that are facilitating this fraud. But most of them are lawyers themselves and this is just "business" to them. 

Just now, Anler said:

There are parts of the country where the employer of 80% (or more) of the population is the govt. Welfare and disability are not career choices. They are meant to be a hand up, not a hand out. If any of these politicians had a hair on their nuts they go after these disability lawyers, the doctors and the judges that are facilitating this fraud. But most of them are lawyers themselves and this is just "business" to them. 

I remember seeing an interview with a SSI judge. He said it always amazed him that when he looked over at the table where the state would normally sit that it was empty. As in no one represents the state in these cases.

9 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol: :read:

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Cheated? Lol it’s kinda low. Personally accusing the thread poster of cheating deflects from the thread topic but as usual it’s how republicans operate. Your generation and the republicans are avoiding the topic but will pay for it later in spades. They even call ss an “entitlement”

Nice deflection!  Meh...it's what libtwats do.  :lol: 

Also, butt-hurt noted.  

37 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

This is not my problem because I am 63. It’s your problem and pointing fingers on people who don’t put money is away is the usual excuse. The facts point to workers are underpaid and will be unemployed down the road because of age or disability when they are 65. Millions will exhaust their equities in their homes and will face evictions and their homes will be foreclosed and sold for cheap lowering everyone’s home values.

doing nothing now is insane. It’s time to eliminate the cap and have a national healthcare program and give all Americans breathing room instead of rewarding the 1% at every turn.

How much did you pay your employees?  Wasn't it like $12/hr?  

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It can easily be called cheating.   You are the one on here preaching people pay more into a system you intentionally avoided paying into.   Come on MC that's pretty hypocritical.  Fact is you didn't want to pay full into a system you knew you wouldn't get back.   I don't blame you but I think its sad your attitude on it now.  

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

It can easily be called cheating.   You are the one on here preaching people pay more into a system you intentionally avoided paying into.   Come on MC that's pretty hypocritical.  

Accusing someone of cheating is low especially if it’s not true. 

Do you support raising or eliminating the cap?

11 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

How much did you pay your employees?  Wasn't it like $12/hr?  

The last employee I hired was 15.00 per hour for a helper with 80% paid healthcare to start, 1 personal day per year up to 5 max, 12 holidays, 1 weeks vacation after 1 year, after 5 years 3 weeks and after 10 years 4 weeks, life insurance for a years wage and a 401k match. We encouraged learning to be an equipment operator to earn more $$.

80% of our employees had over 20 years with us.

Edited by Mainecat