Spark Plugs

dirtybeacher

6 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

I recently read that these blister pack Canadian tire plugs are shit, when compared to the auto store/dealership boxed plugs.  Any truth to this? 

3B89C187-7232-4E0E-B157-D4710EACE592.jpeg

I have read quite a few times that some things are manu'd to a specific stores specs rather than their own but I have read that is B.S. as well so who really knows? I doubt NGK would admit to that but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. 

When I was researching snowblowers quite a few years ago, most everyone said to get one from a specific selling store rather a big box store like Home Depot, Lowes, etc, as they were built a little more stout than what was being sold at these big box stores. I did just that but have no idea if any of that info is true or not? 

We have had plenty of sleds in the family and still do bought the blister pack plugs at CTC many times never had issues that couldnt be tracked to something else(choke/needle&seat etc)they lasted just as well as any dealer bought plug of the same number and heat range so i would call B.S on them being different spec i wouldn't think NGK would want their name on them if they were if it was something like a CTC brand then I believe the spec could be different.Joe

Only difference I know of is the gap spec. Dealer should stock pre-gapped plugs so adjusting gap does not lead to debris in the motor. (can't say I ever but...)

Example: BR9ECS - 4677 is .028", BR9ECS - 6669 is .018" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

Only difference I know of is the gap spec. Dealer should stock pre-gapped plugs so adjusting gap does not lead to debris in the motor. (can't say I ever but...)

That would make sense.  I’m gonna check the gaps 

My race woods bike is running pretty rich (I’ve leaned out pj,mj, lowered needle) and it fouls a plug every 3 or so rides.  I’ve used both dealer and CTc br8es, and never noticed a difference.  

3 hours ago, Tinker said:

Good point I know a fella that chased a intermittent misfire for most of the winter swapped out CDI,s,disconnected about every switch on the sled went thru the carbs a couple times changed plug caps in the end for what ever reason he never gaped the plugs to the recommended setting so he did and it ran great he felt like a idiot and this guy was usually good at following spec.Joe  

Yes, truth!

From my experience it was in automotive end of things,  ran crappy tire multipack option, had issues.....than ran same single pack plugs and zero issues.

Both plugs had gaps verified to spec as well, never buy plugs from crappy.

Edited by Stoney

6 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Michelin does for CTC, and Costco, so does Deere for HD

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

Yes, truth!

From my experience it was in automotive end of things,  ran crappy tire multipack option, had issues.....than ran same single pack plugs and zero issues.

Both plugs had gaps verified to spec as well, never buy plugs from crappy.

Like I mentioned, I have heard both sides of the story but have never seen concrete proof. Maybe Steviewonder can tell us if appliances are made to a lesser standard if they are going to be sold at Home Depot or Lowes, etc, rather than just an appliance place? 

Edited by irv

A stock vs b stock

The CTC are b stock plugs. 

Meaning they don't pass the high rating required by ngk but are still functional. 

Also, they aren't solid core. 

Not worth it for sleds. 

Lawn equipment and such yes.

Edited by Blizzman

52 minutes ago, irv said:

Like I mentioned, I have heard both sides of the story but have never seen concrete proof. Maybe Steviewonder can tell us if appliances are made to a lesser standard if they are going to be sold at Home Depot or Lowes, etc, rather than just an appliance place? 

Sometimes . Not always . Model numbers have to be identical. One number off or the engineering code could mean that .

A few years ago Costco was selling Blue Star ( which is the old Garland gas range rebadged ) . Now Blue Stars at a specialty appliance store are nice . And I was doing a call for them on one and it had little differences I could tell structurally. Later I was talking to the Rep , and asked him if they were cheaping out . He said that model was built specifically for Costco . And they had to meet a price point . So yeah , it can and did happen . Which to me is bad , as a consumer, if your shopping and you see one a few grand less you think your getting the same thing at a better price .You have to check model numbers carefully . 

But I have seen that even in regular models . Entry level Dacor and Viking French door fridges were made by Whirlpool, just had different handles and name tag . And we’re 2 gs more . 

Dacor is now owned by Samsung so your seeing more of Samsung machines with Dacor tags . 

Is what it is . Nothin last long anyways . Lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

Sometimes . Not always . Model numbers have to be identical. One number off or the engineering code could mean that .

A few years ago Costco was selling Blue Star ( which is the old Garland gas range rebadged ) . Now Blue Stars at a specialty appliance store are nice . And I was doing a call for them on one and it had little differences I could tell structurally. Later I was talking to the Rep , and asked him if they were cheaping out . He said that model was built specifically for Costco . And they had to meet a price point . So yeah , it can and did happen . Which to me is bad , as a consumer, if your shopping and you see one a few grand less you think your getting the same thing at a better price .You have to check model numbers carefully . 

But I have seen that even in regular models . Entry level Dacor and Viking French door fridges were made by Whirlpool, just had different handles and name tag . And we’re 2 gs more . 

Dacor is now owned by Samsung so your seeing more of Samsung machines with Dacor tags . 

Is what it is . Nothin last long anyways . Lol 

Thanks for confirming that Stevie! :bc:

My boss at work, who is a pretty sharp cookie, imo, has said this for years. He said big box stores will call up Toro or whoever and say they want to sell 50 of their snow blowers or lawn mowers at X cost, can you do it? Toro or whoever else says sure, but they will not be to the spec of what we normally build them too. Home Depot, Lowes, CT, etc, say that's fine, your name will be on it so we know they will sell. 

People enter said stores looking to purchase these items and see the brand name and see the price is cheaper so they snap them up thinking they are getting the exact same units that are sold at brand specific stores.

When he told me this I was a sceptic as I didn't think big brands would cheapen their product with their reputation on the line but money rules this day and age and not much else it seems.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blizzman said:

A stock vs b stock

The CTC are b stock plugs. 

Meaning they don't pass the high rating required by ngk but are still functional. 

Also, they aren't solid core. 

Not worth it for sleds. 

Lawn equipment and such yes.

Could you explain solid core,I thought all copper core plugs were solid other than resistor type which i was told had some sort of ceramic in the core between the top and tip and are the ev plugs solid?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, Slow Joe said:

Could you explain solid core,I thought all copper core plugs were solid other than resistor type which i was told had some sort of ceramic in the core between the top and tip and are the ev plugs solid?

I misused the term, sorry. What I meant to say is the terminal are removable on the one at CTC. 

20190221_224922.png

Also the ones at CTC arent individually wrapped. The are under par, blster packed and put on the market. 

They are ok for most applications, but they foul fast in sleds for some reason

Edited by Blizzman
  • Thanks 1