Looking for a sled for my 11 year old daughter

f7ben

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

She's pretty big for her age and next year will be her first year trail riding a full size sled. Thinking something like this

https://duluth.craigslist.org/snw/d/fosston-2010-arctic-cat-sno-pro-600/6813128236.html

Do you guys have to get your kids licensed through a trng course before they are allowed to hit the trails? I got my son on my old XLT after he took the course and got his license but he was riding a variety of things when he was 4. Not all kids are the same and shit can happen to anyone but I was pretty comfortable with his abilities and maturity. 

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Do you guys have to get your kids licensed through a trng course before they are allowed to hit the trails? I got my son on my old XLT after he took the course and got his license but he was riding a variety of things when he was 4. Not all kids are the same and shit can happen to anyone but I was pretty comfortable with his abilities and maturity. 

They have to take snowmobile safety. My kid has also ridden many sleds since her kitty kat at age 3. I let her ride the cfr1000 around the lake

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

My boy was riding a CFR 800 at 8. 

Good call wait a few years before putting him on the 1000

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

True, still pretty fast for an 11 year old or a wannabe 50 year old racer.

She could handle it

Just now, 1jkw said:

A 600 for an 11 year girl might be ok, but not an 11year old boy unless governed down imo.

Like I said above, it depends on the experience and maturity. Throwing any kid on a 600 class sled with no prior experience is plain stupid to me unless it's in a open field somewhere and the kids parents are close by by either riding with them or on their own machine. The trick is start them young and move up in size as they age and gain experience.

016_16_04 (Medium).jpg

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

019_19_03 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0556 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0565 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0555 (Large) (Medium).JPG

25 minutes ago, f7ben said:

She's pretty big for her age and next year will be her first year trail riding a full size sled. Thinking something like this

https://duluth.craigslist.org/snw/d/fosston-2010-arctic-cat-sno-pro-600/6813128236.html

It depends on gearing and clutching aggressiveness.  Good sled though.

13 minutes ago, irv said:

Yes.

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That's why I figured a 600 race sled. Probably only goes 65mph

It's not just the speed that will usually get a child in trouble.  It's the rate at which they can get there.

Just now, Zambroski said:

It depends on gearing and clutching aggressiveness.  Good sled though.

Yes.

It's not just the speed that will usually get a child in trouble.  It's the rate at which they can get there.

Yah....I don't want to be waiting for her at every stop. Better get her an 800

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Yah....I don't want to be waiting for her at every stop. Better get her an 800

Teach them to ride responsibly and you can give them any size sled 

and the race sleds suck to ride imo 

• Like 1

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

Teach them to ride responsibly and you can give them any size sled 

and the race sleds suck to ride imo 

Race sleds are poor choices for light/novice riders.  Not sure why people look at the CC's and say...oh yeah....that's perfect for my 90 pound wife/daughter.  :lol: 

21 minutes ago, irv said:

yes kids have to pass a test  

our club gives the class 1 time a yr . usually well north of 20 kids show up 

17 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That's why I figured a 600 race sled. Probably only goes 65mph

the cats have a throttel block you can buy . they were mandatory for the lower classes .

only issue worth a race sled is no reverse . no 11 yr old is yanking that thing backwards if she gets in to a jam by her self 

Good grief.  2005 rev 380 for $2900.  Only 1100 miles..  They are fun little sleds though.

2005 Ski-Doo MXZ 380 REV 1,100 Miles - $2900 hide this posting

05 Skidoo MXZ 380F REV Chassis 

*Excellent shape
*Only 1,1xx Miles
*RER Reverse NO Electric Start
*2021 Registration 
*Matching Ski doo Cover
*Perfect beginner sled

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Best sled ever for a kid was the Doo rev 380.  Fuck those are hard to find and spendy when you do find one in decent shape.

It's crazy what people are asking for them but up here they don't stick around for long. I purchased my son's Kitty Cat for $650, which was a steal at the time. the seller had no idea but when he was inundated with phone calls, he wanted me to wait, upon arrival, for others to show up. I pulled out the $650 and said here is your full asking price and you promised it to me so he reluctantly took it and away we went. Those were going for $1000-$1200 at the time but he didn't know it. I purchased my son's 95 Indy Lite for $800 but it need a pile of work. I likely dropped $300-$400 bucks into it doing all the work myself but made out very well when I sold it. A dealer wanted to purchase it from me sight unseen on a trade in for a Dragon as I'm sure he knew he'd have no trouble getting rid of it.

16 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

yes kids have to pass a test  

our club gives the class 1 time a yr . usually well north of 20 kids show up 

Back in 2012 when my son got his license, the class was booked in short order. I believe that year there were 3 full day classes available and I remember them adding a couple others as the demand was overwhelming that year. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Reminds of the simpson’s episode when homer bought marge a bowling ball for her birthday.