Why millions of people are getting hit with a surprise tax bill this year

Was putting my taxes together last night for my appointment this afternoon.  Last year we projected our taxes would go down a few thousand but we probably made enough to cancel that out.  The rate will likely go down though.  I'll make sure to post and tag @Mainecat with how much we saved in taxes.

My withholdings for state, federal, SS, and medicare are already at $40k and that doesn't include my wife (or employers match).  We usually come out about a wash after the tax prep fee.

Haven't even mentioned property tax at $5k a year and the ~7% sales tax on everything.  

People getting to keep their money rather than give it too the politicians in washington is exactly what I wanted.  And somehow, they have convinced the "intellectually elite" that it is bad.  

By the way, this goes right along with the propaganda about "carbon taxes work"  Dumbasses also didn't realize when gas prices go up....that reduces the carbon footprint too.  TAKE THE MONEY FROM CONSUMERS AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENS.  Damn must be hard being part of the intellectual elite crowd

Edited by racer254
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

@Mainecat I just got back from our accountant.  Our tax bill went down $1,000 this year even though our income went up $10k.

Sorry that you got totally grubered.

You must be part of the wealthy he keeps talking about that got all these permanent tax cuts.  LOL

3 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

@Mainecat I just got back from our accountant.  Our tax bill went down $1,000 this year even though our income went up $10k.

Slinger will be along shortly to deny it ever happened, or that you made it all up. :lol: 

2 hours ago, racer254 said:

You must be part of the wealthy he keeps talking about that got all these permanent tax cuts.  LOL

I'm just an uneducated, white, Trump voter with an engineering degree and a MBA.  My opinions don't count.

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

Slinger will be along shortly to deny it ever happened, or that you made it all up. :lol: 

@Snoslinger @Mainecat @ActionfigureJoe @SnowRider

13 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Did you make out better using the standard deduction? Do you live in a cheap  area? Many upper middle classers are going to pay in more. 

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Did you make out better using the standard deduction? Do you live in a cheap  area? Many upper middle classers are going to pay in more. 

Yes, the standard deduction was better.  Property taxes around $5k.  Not a cheap area but not super expensive either.

13 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Most of the middle class will have savings.  Democrats have been spinning and lying about this from day one trying to make it about corporate taxes or other bullshit. 

Case:  I know several guys that have their wives work at the same place...doing essentially the same jobs for about the same time.  ALL are getting tax cuts except one.  Oddly, she's a raging liberal.  So, I guess they singled her out to not receive a cut...or, she's a god damn liar.  I think we all know which one it is.  She's an avid CNN aficionado.  Miserable marriage too.  Go figure.

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Most of the middle class will have savings.  Democrats have been spinning and lying about this from day one trying to make it about corporate taxes or other bullshit. 

Case:  I know several guys that have their wives work at the same place...doing essentially the same jobs for about the same time.  ALL are getting tax cuts except one.  Oddly, she's a raging liberal.  So, I guess they singled her out to not receive a cut...or, she's a god damn liar.  I think we all know which one it is.  She's an avid CNN aficionado.  Miserable marriage too.  Go figure.

It depends on where you live, what size mortgage you have, what taxes are like. If you live in bum fuck, with a $500 mortgage, chances are you will make out better because the standard deduction is double what it was before. So if you didn’t have much to claim, you make out better.  Where it’s going to hurt, are in situations like mine. High taxes, higher mortgages, etc. So many middle classers in the NE are going to take a hit. 

24 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Yes, the standard deduction was better.  Property taxes around $5k.  Not a cheap area but not super expensive either.

So your mortgage interest, taxes, etc were lower than the standard deduction apparently. A lot of people in your situation will make out better. Many will not, including trump voters who are pissed

Just now, Snoslinger said:

It depends on where you live, what size mortgage you have, what taxes are like. If you live in bum fuck, with a $500 mortgage, chances are you will make out better because the standard deduction is double what it was before. So if you didn’t have much to claim, you make out better.  Where it’s going to hurt, are in situations like mine. High taxes, higher mortgages, etc. So many middle classers in the NE are going to take a hit. 

How did this turn into a mortgage/property tax hike?  Come on.  Your federal taxes have nothing to do with that.  Property taxes are local/state.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Plenty here will . Real estate taxes are the only taxes we have.

"Plenty"?  That pay over $10k on their real estate taxes?  I have a hard time believing that and even so, I'm sure Slinger doesn't have any problem with those having to pay that paying more of their "fair share".

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

Cheap area? What the fuck is that all about?  You are so full of shit. How does increasing the standard deduction $10,000 and lowering the marginal rate two percentage points for most middle-class tax payers result in higher taxes? Answer:  it doesn’t.  Now be sure and give us the dogeared talking point about this being a bad time to lower peoples taxes, because I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anything that’s dumber.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

"Plenty"?  That pay over $10k on their real estate taxes?  I have a hard time believing that and even so, I'm sure Slinger doesn't have any problem with those having to pay that paying more of their "fair share".

Anyone around here with a 2000 sq foot house of better is paying at least 10k. In the boondocks of Minnesota maybe not but plenty of others do.

Just now, Edmo said:

Anyone around here with a 2000 sq foot house of better is paying at least 10k. In the boondocks of Minnesota maybe not but plenty of others do.

:lol: You are getting fucked.  That area must be just spectacular to live in!!!!

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:lol: You are getting fucked.  That area must be just spectacular to live in!!!!

The salary’s are high here. It’s the only draw really unless you dig the city life. I’m going to take the money and gtfo when I retire.

:bc: 

Just now, Edmo said:

The salary’s are high here. It’s the only draw really unless you dig the city life. I’m going to take the money and gtfo when I retire.

:bc: 

Just noticed you are in the Chicago area.  Yeah....make your money and run.  I did the same but, wasn't getting hosed that bad in my big metro area.  Course...I did live a good ways out.