Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCrusher

Garage Heater for Home

Recommended Posts

What do you guys use.

 

Looking to install one at home in the attached two car and electric is preferred as can do all the wiring.  Thinking I will need about 5kW, garage is not insulated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What do you guys use.

 

Looking to install one at home in the attached two car and electric is preferred as can do all the wiring.  Thinking I will need about 5kW, garage is not insulated.

 

My garage is attached to my house right under the master bedroom so all I ever use is a small electric plug in heater which works well enough to take the chill out. Although it is chilly in there this morning, it would still work to some degree but mornings like today, I just dress for the conditions. I think this spring/summer, it is time to look at new door seals and the rubber on the bottom of the doors. With a north wind, too much air gets in in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What do you guys use.

 

Looking to install one at home in the attached two car and electric is preferred as can do all the wiring.  Thinking I will need about 5kW, garage is not insulated.

 

you'll want 7500w, too small it just won't heat  up fast enough unless you leave it on all the time.

Canadian Tire has one with a remote that gets okay reviews $299 but goes on sale for $199.

You can splurge and get a more expensive on from Amazon 1 day delivery 

 

Me I had installed a gas furnace at the inlaws and kept their old Electric 15000w unit - fucking thing really heats up the garage (over sized isn't really a good thing) 

  Going to swap this out at the cottage this summer as the Oil burner is toast and buy the one I mentioned above for the garage

 

spend the the dollars and insulate 

Edited by 1trailmaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, irv said:

My garage is attached to my house right under the master bedroom so all I ever use is a small electric plug in heater which works well enough to take the chill out. Although it is chilly in there this morning, it would still work to some degree but mornings like today, I just dress for the conditions. I think this spring/summer, it is time to look at new door seals and the rubber on the bottom of the doors. With a north wind, too much air gets in in my opinion. 

Thanks, but I'm looking for a setup that can get a bit toasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

you'll want 7500kw, too small it just won't heat  up fast enough unless you leave it on all the time.

Canadian Tire has one with a remote that gets okay reviews $299 but goes on sale for $199.

You can splurge and get a more expensive on from Amazon 1 day delivery 

 

Me I had installed a gas furnace at the inlaws and kept their old Electric 15000kw unit - fucking thing really heats up the garage (over sized isn't really a good thing) 

  Going to swap this out at the cottage this summer as the Oil burner is toast and buy the one I mentioned above for the garage

 

spend the the dollars and insulate 

Don't want it on all the time, just when needed.  Saw that one mentioned from CT, would require 40A breaker and wire (31.5FLA), plan to insulate in the summer.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Don't want it on all the time, just when needed.  Saw that one mentioned from CT, would require 40A breaker and wire (31.5FLA), plan to insulate in the summer.

Thanks.

You are going to have to install a new breaker anyway if you want heat.  Is the panel in the garage? 

 

My bud in severn has 2 of these installed in his garage, turns them on to de-ice the sleds..   Works very well with just one on.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

You are going to have to install a new breaker anyway if you want heat.  Is the panel in the garage? 

 

My bud in severn has 2 of these installed in his garage, turns them on to de-ice the sleds..   Works very well with just one on.  

 

 

I was planning to anyways, always wanted 240V in the garage.  Panel is in the basement (unfinished) so very easy to run wires. 

New cottage will come already insulated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I was planning to anyways, always wanted 240V in the garage.  Panel is in the basement (unfinished) so very easy to run wires. 

New cottage will come already insulated.

bring in a 60A pony panel, should be enough to run everything you need 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

bring in a 60A pony panel, should be enough to run everything you need 

Don't think I need that, unless I want more 240.  Have ample 120 circuits already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What do you guys use.

 

Looking to install one at home in the attached two car and electric is preferred as can do all the wiring.  Thinking I will need about 5kW, garage is not insulated.

 

I looked at that too for the simple reason I didn't need to get propane company involved.  Based on what I read and advice, gas was faster and more efficient to temporarily heat my garage when needed.  I just had to run all the black pipe on the inside then had the propane co.  hook up the outside regulator and run a leak test.  Pretty simple and works great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Don't think I need that, unless I want more 240.  Have ample 120 circuits already.

Hydroponics takes power lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Heater gas heater is what I have and use.

Considered the radiant gas heater as well, but it was I think double at the time and did not see many benefits to it at the time.

It is very nice having a heated garage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With you guys running some heavy duty type heaters, do you ever encounter condensation/humidity problems?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, irv said:

With you guys running some heavy duty type heaters, do you ever encounter condensation/humidity problems?  

I would think you would if run for a long time non-insulated, but your bill would be a bigger issue.  Lol.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I would think you would if run for a long time non-insulated, but your bill would be a bigger issue.  Lol.

 

 

I think of RV's as I have heard with propane heat, things can get rather moist inside. I assume it's the type of heat used, like propane, that is the bigger problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, irv said:

With you guys running some heavy duty type heaters, do you ever encounter condensation/humidity problems?  

not with vapour barrier and insulation  

I am loving my new garage door R17 with glass top - my older steel door was solid ice lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, irv said:

With you guys running some heavy duty type heaters, do you ever encounter condensation/humidity problems?  

Exhausted / vented outside for mine, so zero moisture issues.

Electric heaters should have zero moisture issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My garage is well insulated and vapour barrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, irv said:

With you guys running some heavy duty type heaters, do you ever encounter condensation/humidity problems?  

My heater vents out plus, I put in additional venting.  But, I still have some problems when the cars and sled get loaded up with snow.  I don’t have enough venting to extract the moisture.  Going to add another high flow vent.  Prolly gonna rig up a “squirrel cage” of some sort for high flow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

My heater vents out plus, I put in additional venting.  But, I still have some problems when the cars and sled get loaded up with snow.  I don’t have enough venting to extract the moisture.  Going to add another high flow vent.  Prolly gonna rig up a “squirrel cage” of some sort for high flow.

Venting is definitely a plus. I suppose, if humidity got real bad, a dehumidifier would also come in handy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, irv said:

Venting is definitely a plus. I suppose, if humidity got real bad, a dehumidifier would also come in handy? 

Yeah.  But I can crack a window on both sides and it dries up pretty quick.  I think a bit more venting is fine.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My heater vents out plus, I put in additional venting.  But, I still have some problems when the cars and sled get loaded up with snow.  I don’t have enough venting to extract the moisture.  Going to add another high flow vent.  Prolly gonna rig up a “squirrel cage” of some sort for high flow.

What type of heater do you have? Sounds like similar to me, but propane vs. natural gas.

I do not have moisture issues, so I am curious. I do not have cars in the garage though, so maybe I am not introducing as much external moisture as you are.....just snow from my sled, when I actually ride that is.....

I do run a fan in the garage when heater is on, most of the time....and when I do get puddles of water from melting snow, I usually brush it outside. I also have mine on 24/7, dropped down at night to 10 and other times when I am home, around 15, depending if I or the kids are doing stuff or playing in the garage.

In floor heat is the ticket if it was a new build, dries up all the water from the floor up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not what you’re looking for, but if you want to set something up in the meantime, it’s a cheap way to do it.   4800w, 240vac 30a. They’re about 80$ new, I grabbed a couple at garage sales for under 10. My 1.5 garage is insulated, with insulated door. Works good for me.  

A08FB9B3-B270-4DFD-B42B-4F8311710240.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Not what you’re looking for, but if you want to set something up in the meantime, it’s a cheap way to do it.   4800w, 240vac 30a. They’re about 80$ new, I grabbed a couple at garage sales for under 10. My 1.5 garage is insulated, with insulated door. Works good for me.  

A08FB9B3-B270-4DFD-B42B-4F8311710240.jpeg

I used that before I installed the heater I have now, it worked to heat the garage up, the problem was the recovery rate, it took too long to reheat the garage after you opened the door, etc....but was far easier to hook up than the heater I have now!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What type of heater do you have? Sounds like similar to me, but propane vs. natural gas.

I do not have moisture issues, so I am curious. I do not have cars in the garage though, so maybe I am not introducing as much external moisture as you are.....just snow from my sled, when I actually ride that is.....

I do run a fan in the garage when heater is on, most of the time....and when I do get puddles of water from melting snow, I usually brush it outside. I also have mine on 24/7, dropped down at night to 10 and other times when I am home, around 15, depending if I or the kids are doing stuff or playing in the garage.

In floor heat is the ticket if it was a new build, dries up all the water from the floor up.

I picked up this Mr. Heater unit last summer.  ~$400 I think.  I believe it’s 50k BTU.  

My garage is currently 28x36, 8’ 5” walls with an upstairs that I’ve closed off for winter.  R-19 in the walls and ceiling and vapor barrier sealed tight.

 In about 20 minutes it can go from 10-20 degrees to ~65and sustain it easily.  I only run it when I need the garage warm.  The only moisture problems I am seeing so far is just excess from snow on vehicles and my sled.  Otherwise, it stays dry.

1E3DA51B-C736-462D-BEF4-CD9A72390DAA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.