Garage Heater for Home

ArcticCrusher

20 hours ago, toslow said:

you wasn't the pilot who crashed through the power lines a couple yrs ago in brampton?

Speaking of power lines,I have a new high transmission line across the lake--6 wires.Can't see them in a cloudy situation.They are high enough to impair Seaplane operation and water bomber activity.Whats the reg on that?

53 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Speaking of power lines,I have a new high transmission line across the lake--6 wires.Can't see them in a cloudy situation.They are high enough to impair Seaplane operation and water bomber activity.Whats the reg on that?

There is none.  However Hydro mark the lines with Hydro line marker balls. The aviation charts will reflect the new line too when updated

21 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ok, wife now wants to sell main house and buy a home for son with landing strip.  Lol.  He is now applying to iaptl at Brampton.

Actually there are few properties like that north of Toronto. 

23 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ok, wife now wants to sell main house and buy a home for son with landing strip.  Lol.  He is now applying to iaptl at Brampton.

I live very close to two houses with air strips.  One was up for sale but can't remember if it sold or the listing expired

11 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

I live very close to two houses with air strips.  One was up for sale but can't remember if it sold or the listing expired

We have been discussing selling our place and moving north in a few years around Barrie, don't think the wife would want to live in Parry Sound year round.  Surprised I was able to convince her to move north of Steeles Ave. :lol:

There will will upcoming events that will need to be factored in.

16 hours ago, Poncho said:

There is none.  However Hydro mark the lines with Hydro line marker balls. The aviation charts will reflect the new line too when updated

This is a major private line.I can see a a problem maybe they don't. Thanks for the info.

I bought a used electric forced air furnace from a mobile home for the cost of scrap. turned it on its side and hang from  ceiling in my garage. Only use it occasionally so cost of electricity is not really a concern. Have to say it is nice to have in there when I do need it . Heats up the garage nice and toasty

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 10 kw electric  (34,000 BTU)  fan forced heater in my garage...and one in the shop .

Put one in the shop as a last resort back up to the infloor heat with outside wood boiler...then I went natural gas boiler,  so neither really comes into play..but it's there, just in case.

Stuck one in my 700 ft garage...it works great. Temp rise is around 1 degree F every min. Kinda loud...for what I would build..but its a fraction of the $.

Then went air over water with natural gas in the garage..waay cheaper to run,

Need 60 amps@240V. Likely costs about 2$ an hour to run, but it does work well in the 700 ft/2 garage.

Caloritech, a Canadian company in Orillia.

I build electric heaters for industry, but I can't compete with their little basic stuff like this.

All controls are on board, 24V out so you just need a basic Tstat.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

We have been discussing selling our place and moving north in a few years around Barrie, don't think the wife would want to live in Parry Sound year round.  Surprised I was able to convince her to move north of Steeles Ave. :lol:

There will will upcoming events that will need to be factored in.

I assumed you all moved to Bradford? 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, mrholmquist said:

I bought a used electric forced air furnace from a mobile home for the cost of scrap. turned it on its side and hang from  ceiling in my garage. Only use it occasionally so cost of electricity is not really a concern. Have to say it is nice to have in there when I do need it . Heats up the garage nice and toasty

all you need really

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:44 AM, firecatguy said:

Has anyone ever put a microfurnace or comparable heater in a clamshell trailer to defrost your sled? Not to work on jist to melt snow and slush off..

We've put a propane heater into a 24 foot trailer before.  Had that thing roasting in no time and melted the ice and snow off the roof and the sleds.  We also wired a couple small fans as well to push some of the heat to the floor.  

On 2/16/2019 at 3:44 AM, firecatguy said:

Has anyone ever put a microfurnace or comparable heater in a clamshell trailer to defrost your sled? Not to work on jist to melt snow and slush off..

I have never done that in my trailer, although I have thought of it but realized all the water would run out on my driveway and make a skating rink. I normally unload my sled(s) into my garage then use a small heater to melt the snow and ice off. Usually with the amount of water I get I need to use the wet vac before it overwhelms my small catch lids that are off under the bed storage bins. My trailer lid also froze shut one time due to a melt/refreeze and it was a bugger getting it opened again! I missed a ride due to that so now I put a small piece of wood under the rear part of the lid to keep it up a 1/4 inch off the deck. 

IMG_0161 (Large).JPG

IMG_0170 (Large).JPG

• Like 1