Garage Heater for Home

ArcticCrusher

42 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I picked up this Mr. Heater unit last summer.  ~$400 I think.  I believe it’s 50k BTU.  

My garage is currently 28x36, 8’ 5” walls with an upstairs that I’ve closed off for winter.  R-19 in the walls and ceiling and vapor barrier sealed tight.

In about 20 minutes it can go from 10-20 degrees to ~65and sustain it easily.  I only run it when I need the garage warm.  The only moisture problems I am seeing so far is just excess from snow on vehicles and my sled.  Otherwise, it stays dry.

1E3DA51B-C736-462D-BEF4-CD9A72390DAA.jpeg

Same unit I have....the moisture you have is caused by what you brought in i.e. snow on cars. I think Irv was referring to moisture caused by the heater itself and what I was referencing, like when you run a salamander propane heater in a garage, everything gets caked in water, from the moisture in the gas though or the example of an RV, but that is just crappy insulation & no vapour barrier, unless you buy one the trailers rated for winter use, which I assume come with the extra protection.....I think Smokin george had one that was winter rated.

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Same unit I have....the moisture you have is caused by what you brought in i.e. snow on cars. I think Irv was referring to moisture caused by the heater itself and what I was referencing, like when you run a salamander propane heater in a garage, everything gets caked in water, from the moisture in the gas though or the example of an RV, but that is just crappy insulation & no vapour barrier, unless you buy one the trailers rated for winter use, which I assume come with the extra protection.....I think Smokin george had one that was winter rated.

It’s an outside vent so, not much moisture should be coming from that unit.  I have a torpedo I ran at times last year and yeah...it just spewed vapor.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I picked up this Mr. Heater unit last summer.  ~$400 I think.  I believe it’s 50k BTU.  

My garage is currently 28x36, 8’ 5” walls with an upstairs that I’ve closed off for winter.  R-19 in the walls and ceiling and vapor barrier sealed tight.

In about 20 minutes it can go from 10-20 degrees to ~65and sustain it easily.  I only run it when I need the garage warm.  The only moisture problems I am seeing so far is just excess from snow on vehicles and my sled.  Otherwise, it stays dry.

I have the same type unit on natural gas in 60k btu. I heat a 30x50 with 10 foot ceilings. It struggles to hold 70 degrees on cold days. Some day I'll put in a regular furnace with duct work.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have the same type unit on natural gas in 60k btu. I heat a 30x50 with 10 foot ceilings. It struggles to hold 70 degrees on cold days. Some day I'll put in a regular furnace with duct work.

Duct work makes huge difference to any forced air type heating,  and when exposed you don't waste the heat coming from the duct itself...

I like the look of well put duct work, can look real nice if done right 

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

You know, I haven’t tried to heat the garage in really cold temps yet.  I’ll try it tomorow and see how it does. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Need a bigger unit!

A furnace would be the way to go, far more efficient as well compared to these units.

My 50k unit has zero problems heating my garage on the coldest of days around here, but mine is not 30x50....it is an odd shaped garage, I think it ends up being about 625 square feet vs. your 1500 square feet.

• Platinum Contributing Member
53 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Need a bigger unit!

A furnace would be the way to go, far more efficient as well compared to these units.

My 50k unit has zero problems heating my garage on the coldest of days around here, but mine is not 30x50....it is an odd shaped garage, I think it ends up being about 625 square feet vs. your 1500 square feet.

This was the biggest unit I could do. I replaced it last year ago when the old unit died. It was a 40k unit.

When I bought the place there was a furnace in the back corner with some venting. The shop had been split in half at one point and the furnace heated the rear portion. I sold it for $100 cause I thought I didn't need it.  

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This was the biggest unit I could do. I replaced it last year ago when the old unit died. It was a 40k unit.

When I bought the place there was a furnace in the back corner with some venting. The shop had been split in half at one point and the furnace heated the rear portion. I sold it for $100 cause I thought I didn't need it.  

Mr Heater Big Max sells a 80K unit that is meant for a 2000 square foot space, there are all kinds of different brands that are pretty much the same though.....but if I was replacing, I would look at a HE furnace instead that you can install ducts throughout to distribute the heat.

http://www.mrheater.com/80-000-btu-big-maxx-natural-gas-unit-heater-1239.html

So bought the CT 7500W yesterday with #8/3 although it does not require neutral.  Hope to install tonight so I can be toasty warm.  Garage is maybe 18x20 standard double.  Cottage will be 30x40 so propane will be the way to go there.  

Thanks.

Just put in an older furnace there are tons on replacement upgrade deals out there for free and suspended it like that mr heater unit, it just blowes out the main duct works great you can heat the garage up in minutes :dunno: 

5 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Just put in an older furnace there are tons on replacement upgrade deals out there for free and suspended it like that mr heater unit, it just blowes out the main duct works great you can heat the garage up in minutes :dunno: 

I might run it a few times a year, not worth it.

20 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I have the same unit in my 25 x 25 garage.

However in the Dominion of Canada they are double what you paid for it!!

On 1/29/2019 at 9:19 AM, Bigfish said:

I have the same unit in my 25 x 25 garage.

However in the Dominion of Canada they are double what you paid for it!!

Likely electricity is as well? 

Decided to fire mine up in these temps to see what it would do.  In 30 mins it got the garage to 65 degrees.  Not bad....but my dumb ass forgot to close up the stairway so....

Also, since I've insulated and wrapped my garage tight, it will only get to between 10-20 degrees overnight on coldest days...that's with no heat on at all.  So far, this little unit is treating me well for what I wanted.