Need advice on new snowblower

Might be replacing the 20 year old craftsman 29" . Can get the auger to engage . Last time I used it it worked flawlessly so idk. Hoping it might be frozen ,but I've had heat on it for half a day, still wont engage. Will check it again tonight...nut I might get a new one . 

Anyone have thoughts on Troy Bilt snowblowers ? Will get one from Canadian Tire when it's time, but not sure which brand to avoid 

3 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Thinking around 2k. Honda would be nice ,but not sure if 2k ia enough lol

Try to find a used Honda. It's amazing how much better they preform than the other brands.  I think Canada got Yamaha blowers that were very good too.

3 minutes ago, Gotaf7 said:

Ariens, Home Depot and Cummins Small Engine on Marion sell them.

Never thought of them.  Might check it out. I'm like an hour away from the peg so I have to make it with it lol. I'll call them Monday if I dont find anything tomorrow.  Thanks!

Just now, xcr700 said:

Yamaha blowers? Never even heard of them lol 

They don't sell them here in the states. When I was checking out a snowblower forum a few years ago before buying the Honda the Canadians on there were raving about the Yamaha and Honda Blowers :bc: 

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/?group=SB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ariens and done.  Try to find a dealer and look at the Deluxe or Premium models  HD may carry them too.

Lots of guys seem to like the ariens.  Are the husqvarnas shitty tho ?  I just figured an ariens would be overkill for what I need it for lol

38 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

They have decent looking husqvarnas too ,but mixed reviews 

I had one of these for over 10 years, great machine..... 

large throat is a much

the metal gauge is another thing between cheap and not cheap - This is only a problem if you have real snow and winters lol

mine has welded bars for strength 

most Canadian Tire blower metal is not great be sure to check it out.

I like the steering control (if that is what you can call it lol) 

discharge chute is well places although blocks the light a bit 

Husq has a nice up right feel, I wasn't sure I would like it but ends up I really liked it in comparison to other machines

• Like 1

I retired a 30yr old Ariens last year sold it for $400 still running great, I got a Ariens Deluxe 28 on sale for $1350. So far it has been a great machine. We have a Husky at work it has had a few issues but the biggest problem is its a belt eating bitch.

• Like 1

If you have the money , Yamaha or a Honda . I have a used 1991 YS828T  Yamaha , other than one set of belts and a augur bearing , this unit will blow  anything away. My sister downstate  has a Honda 7hp. wheeled unit , super nice and quite running for a snow blower.  I troll some of the small engine / snow blower forums , if you have the time off season , look for  a 25 year old  or older cast iron augur boxed  Ariens  and rebuild it . Add a impeller gap kit  and you will be good to go for another 30 years. The early model Husqvarna's have good results , the  walk behind  Bob - CaTs  made  by Wisconsin Marine are epic machines with their super heavy duty high speed spinning impeller. A Church I used to plow had one , what a beast. Fuji is marketing  a copied Honda in Canada , good reviews.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Lots of guys seem to like the ariens.  Are the husqvarnas shitty tho ?  I just figured an ariens would be overkill for what I need it for lol

Ariens is sorta the go-to brand with snowblowers in the Midwest.  Good reason for that.  You can buy smaller/less equipped models for smaller jobs. I got a 28 platinum with all the extras.  Worth it and I'll keep it 5-6 years and still sell it for a good $$.  Huskies and the like are throw aways.

I guess it depends if you are looking to buy new then you have to stick with something local.  I've also heard Toro makes a good one but, at the HD they look and feel cheap to me.  :dunno:

• Like 1

• Gold Member

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/snow-removal-and-equipment/snow-blowers/7468374?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI856Wt6CM4AIViCCtBh302QPrEAQYASABEgIID_D_BwE

this is what I used when I lived in snow country in Idaho but 2 stroke model of this blower.  Since I was lucky enough to be able to not have to live in snow country anymore I haven’t used it in couple years

• Like 1

2k ? well that shoukd pay for at least 8 yrs of a guy coming to your house and plowing you out .

I pay 35 bucks a push and they shovel my walk from driveway to door also .I sure,shit am not getting suted up and dealing with that shit for 35 bucks . also when I am out of town enjoying the snow I don't have to hear a complaning wife bitching about having to shovel while I am out playing in the snow .

fuck that alone is worth 150 a push 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Bought this for wife .  Honestly,  not really impressed with her performance so far.  

E244CB85-71B7-4EE9-83F8-979EA5B0CEFC.jpeg

LOL....shit man!  You went all "honeymoon" and got her a handle at the end.  Fucking newlyweds!  :lol: 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Bought this for wife .  Honestly,  not really impressed with her performance so far.  

E244CB85-71B7-4EE9-83F8-979EA5B0CEFC.jpeg

One of the best Mexican backhoes ever made for snow. The Snow Plow shovel is money well spent.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

LOL....shit man!  You went all "honeymoon" and got her a handle at the end.  Fucking newlyweds!  :lol: 

Nothing but the best  for her.  She just needs to bulk up a little.  I like to see her get it done in 4 hours.  Too many breaks, holding her back & complaining. 🙄

ishit I have to get my own beers while she is out there,  don’t hear me carrying on. 

27 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

2k ? well that shoukd pay for at least 8 yrs of a guy coming to your house and plowing you out .

I pay 35 bucks a push and they shovel my walk from driveway to door also .I sure,shit am not getting suted up and dealing with that shit for 35 bucks . also when I am out of town enjoying the snow I don't have to hear a complaning wife bitching about having to shovel while I am out playing in the snow .

fuck that alone is worth 150 a push 

Yeah ,one of the farmers here has a few giant ass tractors that he uses for snow clearing.  People pay him to plow their driveways.  Was thinking about going that route to ,but I'll still need something to make a path in the back for a dog when we finally get one again. Woman wants a smaller dog this time ,so its going to need a path in the winter lol