4 stroke gurus: question

Matt

Some fucking tweakers broke into my parent's cabin up north and ransacked it looking for drugs. They only stole a 45 caliber handgun, and some syringes and stuff (dad is a doc). Made a right mess of the house though. 

They got whatever pos they were driving stuck and decided to use my dad's brand new never driven Ranger to try to haul their car out, trashing it in the process. Put a huge hole in the floorboard and busted up a tie rod and half shaft. 

Here's the question. They left it running and it sat and ran for 45 hours at idle until the fuel ran out. That's not really the best way to break in an engine... Insurance is saying it's fine and dealer is somewhat agreeing. What says the experts on everything here? 

Fucking opioids... 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Should be fine.  How cold was it?  If it can putz around slow on trails in 95 degree heat then it should handle a long idle in the cold.   You could also tell the insurance Im going to another company if you don't replace it.   That usually gets them awake. 

Edited by Highmark

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Some fucking tweakers broke into my parent's cabin up north and ransacked it looking for drugs. They only stole a 45 caliber handgun, and some syringes and stuff (dad is a doc). Made a right mess of the house though. 

They got whatever pos they were driving stuck and decided to use my dad's brand new never driven Ranger to try to haul their car out, trashing it in the process. Put a huge hole in the floorboard and busted up a tie rod and half shaft. 

Here's the question. They left it running and it sat and ran for 45 hours at idle until the fuel ran out. That's not really the best way to break in an engine... Insurance is saying it's fine and dealer is somewhat agreeing. What says the experts on everything here? 

Fucking opioids... 

I feel your parents pain, my cottage was burgled 6 years ago, 4 useless punks, all 18 years old. Good news is they caught the little scumbags. If I remember correctly, your place is on Lake Lucerne? Maybe it was some tontos from the Mole Lake Rez . Any way it certainly sucks, cottages are easy targets.

Edited by snoughnut

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Fucking opioids... 

Oil/filter change then drive it. If it consumes oil more than normal (check forums) then take note and go after the insurance company/dealer again. Obviously check all fluids, rad, trans, gear as they likely pounded on it pretty good. I feel your pain, however, as I wouldn't want it back either. Good luck. :bc:

They beat on it, but not for long.  Think they just spun the tires a bunch trying to haul their stuck car up the hill.  Only had 5 miles on it.

Would have been better if they just stole the thing.

@snoughnut yep.  Lake Lucerne.  They hit 4 cabins that same night.

Edited by Matt

I'd be worried of topend damage (valve train) from lack of oil. Not sure if it relies on the cam chain flinging it up to the valve train or if it's forced.

If it's forced no issue. Cam chain does not work very well at idle and can lead to lack of oil if the engine is not reved up occasionally to carry the oil up.