Vice....just watched.

• Platinum Contributing Member

My daughter and I just got home from watching Vice....first of all Christian Bale is a masterful actor and Sam Rockwell as W is a hoot. As for the movie it is well done and as you can guess it's definitely slanted to the left but they do a great job of nailing all the pertinent points...if a quarter of how Cheney is portrayed is accurate he's a bigger POS than I ever thought and a criminal.

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

How about how he had offices in like 14 agencies of govt? Dude needs the wall. 

Yeah that was real cute as was his assertion that as a member of both the executive and legislative branches he was subject to oversight from neither of them.

12 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter and I just got home from watching Vice....first of all Christian Bale is a masterful actor and Sam Rockwell as W is a hoot. As for the movie it is well done and as you can guess it's definitely slanted to the left but they do a great job of nailing all the pertinent points...if a quarter of how Cheney is portrayed is accurate he's a bigger POS than I ever thought and a criminal.

I saw it last weekend and enjoyed it.  I agree it no doubt had bias.  I’m sure there was embellishment as they were aiming more to entertain rather than strict documentary style.  I 100% agree with your assessment on Bale’s acting performance.  The character I think may have been most loosely played was Rumsfeld but I like that they gave Carell some leash on that one.  

• Like 1

I keep hearing this movie referred to as a Comedy? Is it or are there just some funny parts in it? The previews I see, it looks like a drama?

39 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

I saw it last weekend and enjoyed it.  I agree it no doubt had bias.  I’m sure there was embellishment as they were aiming more to entertain rather than strict documentary style.  I 100% agree with your assessment on Bale’s acting performance.  The character I think may have been most loosely played was Rumsfeld but I like that they gave Carell some leash on that one.  

Agreed on Carells performance...gave him  some leeway but he didn’t go over the top at all. 

8 minutes ago, irv said:

I keep hearing this movie referred to as a Comedy? Is it or are there just some funny parts in it? The previews I see, it looks like a drama?

Not sure why it’s labeled a comedy.....it’s actually pretty disturbing when you see how devious and evil Cheney is.

1 hour ago, irv said:

If 5000 soldiers hadn’t died and numerous others injured for no reason. Not to mention the multi decade human crisis that followed....it could be considered a comedy. 

2 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

But even the bias was done sarcastically, they werent trying to play it off as if it wasnt. There are plenty of things about Dick Cheney to be disgusted with. They didnt need to make stuff up. 

1 hour ago, Anler said:

But even the bias was done sarcastically, they werent trying to play it off as if it wasnt. There are plenty of things about Dick Cheney to be disgusted with. They didnt need to make stuff up. 

Totally - I couldn’t quite figure out how to phrase that aspect of the filmmakers approach but you nailed it.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The Unitary Executive Theory interesting as well.

https://www.thoughtco.com/unitary-executive-theory-the-imperial-presidency-721716

Interesting. I wonder how they feel about Trump being at the pulpit with all of this power his predecessors gave him.. 

Presidential Signing Statements

The presidential signing statement is similar to the line-item veto in that it allows a President to sign a bill while also specifying which parts of the bill he actually intends to enforce.

• Only 75 signing statements had ever been issued until the time of the Reagan administration. President Andrew Jackson issued only one. 
  • Presidents Reagan, G.H.W. Bush and Clinton issued a total of 247 signing statements.
  • President George W. Bush alone issued more than 130 signing statements, which tended to be more sweeping in scope than those of his predecessors.
  • President Barack Obama issued 30 signing statements through 2016, even though he indicated in 2007 that he disapproved of this tool and would not overuse it. 

42 minutes ago, Anler said:

Interesting. I wonder how they feel about Trump being at the pulpit with all of this power his predecessors gave him.. 

Presidential Signing Statements

The presidential signing statement is similar to the line-item veto in that it allows a President to sign a bill while also specifying which parts of the bill he actually intends to enforce.

• Only 75 signing statements had ever been issued until the time of the Reagan administration. President Andrew Jackson issued only one. 
  • Presidents Reagan, G.H.W. Bush and Clinton issued a total of 247 signing statements.
  • President George W. Bush alone issued more than 130 signing statements, which tended to be more sweeping in scope than those of his predecessors.
  • President Barack Obama issued 30 signing statements through 2016, even though he indicated in 2007 that he disapproved of this tool and would not overuse it. 

No shit...Cheney was obsessed with it.

Ever meet somebody and immediately know 1.) You don’t like them at all, and 2.) You can’t wait to go wash the sweaty, cold, palm juice from your hand that was left here with a weak-ass handshake?

It was just like that. Fuck Cheney.