Rash of snowmobile thefts in Vermont

ckf

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) That sinking feeling none of us want to experience -- multiple homes and businesses trying to get their stuff back from thieves.

snowmobile55.jpg

Over the last couple of weeks -- snowmobiles, trailers, and a boat were stolen from at least four businesses in Chittenden and Franklin Counties.

Bolton, Essex, Williston, Milton, and Swanton also got hit. Even though police are not saying if these are all connected the people impacted in these towns are working together.

"There's a lot of eyes out there," said Michael Seguin, of Bolton.

Thousands of dollars’ worth of gear stolen from front yards and businesses.

"If somebody wants it badly enough, they will usually find a way to get it," said Brian Erling.

Erling says thefts at Land Air in Essex Junction are rare so returning to work after the holidays came with a nasty shock -- two snowmobiles driven off his lot.

"Everybody in the industry knows someone who's been affected by it," said Erling.

Over the last month snowmobiles, trailers, and a boat disappeared around Chittenden and Franklin County.

Channel 3 discovered multiple businesses like Land Air, Tim's Cycle in Milton, Boathouse Headquarters in Swanton, and Vermont Home and Marine in Williston -- were all hit.

"It's a bad trend it seems," said Seguin.

And it's not just businesses -- people are being targeted too.

"I literally pulled into my driveway and sat there and tried to process why I don't see my snowmobile trailer," said Seguin.

Thursday afternoon Michael Sequin of Bolton learned a truck backed into his drive way, hitched up his trailer, and drove off.
Inside was his newly purchased snowmobile.

“We work hard for our toys and we enjoy using them. It's just a horrible feeling to have them taken from us and it's just very disheartening all around," said Seguin.

Now, members of the snowmobiling community like Michael Sequin are working together to find who did it. Posting on Facebook, looking for leads, and checking posts online.

“Everybody is lock-down mode now trying to make sure it doesn't happen again," said Seguin.

Here's what Seguing says he you can do:
-Put a lock on your trailer hitch.
-Keep the keys with you and make sure your stuff is kept in a well-lit area.

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, ckf said:

This doesn't look like a local yokel steeling  sled or two.

I agree, happens around here kinda often, bunch of similar business will get hit all in a couple weeks,...Product most likely is in a shipping container headed over seas

It surprises me, even this day and age, how lax some people are with protecting their toys and property. Sure, if there is a will there's a way if the thieves want something bad enough but to do absolutely nothing to deter them just boggles the mind. I also quite often hear, they're insured. Sure they are but who wants the hassle of dealing with the insurance company, the police and likely having to wait months, missing the riding/boating seasons, waiting for replacements? I use 3 pieces of security/locks to protect mine. A tongue lock, coupler lock and a big, airline quality, cable with another lock wrapped around the frame and my son's basketball net pole. So far so good. :bc:

Lock.jpg

Lock2.jpg

IMG_0167 (Large).JPG

Cable.jpg

1 hour ago, irv said:

It surprises me, even this day and age, how lax some people are with protecting their toys and property. Sure, if there is a will there's a way if the thieves want something bad enough but to do absolutely nothing to deter them just boggles the mind. I also quite often hear, they're insured. Sure they are but who wants the hassle of dealing with the insurance company, the police and likely having to wait months, missing the riding/boating seasons, waiting for replacements? I use 3 pieces of security/locks to protect mine. A tongue lock, coupler lock and a big, airline quality, cable with another lock wrapped around the frame and my son's basketball net pole. So far so good. :bc:

Lock.jpg

Lock2.jpg

IMG_0167 (Large).JPG

Cable.jpg

I was walking the kids to school and when I got close my buddies Jeep was blocking the sidewalk. The thieves got under it and got it in neautral and rolled it ahead. They backed up their vehicle, hooked up the trailer and off they went with 2 new sleds. If they want it they'll get it. 

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

I was walking the kids to school and when I got close my buddies Jeep was blocking the sidewalk. The thieves got under it and got it in neautral and rolled it ahead. They backed up their vehicle, hooked up the trailer and off they went with 2 new sleds. If they want it they'll get it. 

For sure they will but doing nothing to deter them is silly, imo. I see in my neighborhood alone, boats sitting in drives with nothing to stop anyone from just backing up, hooking up, and being gone in a matter of seconds. Imo, if they have to smash locks, cuts cables, etc, they might just look for easier pickins. Nothing is guaranteed but at least I'll rest easier knowing I did what I could to stop or slow them down. 

Edited by irv

WHO, in their right fukken mind in the year 2019, leaves a new sled in a fukken trailer, ready to be hitched-up and driven off!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO is that fukken stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spotlights, cameras. motion detectors, heavy cables, locks, DOGS, you name it!! Whatever it takes to stop a mother-fukker from taking your shit. 

29 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

WHO, in their right fukken mind in the year 2019, leaves a new sled in a fukken trailer, ready to be hitched-up and driven off!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO is that fukken stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spotlights, cameras. motion detectors, heavy cables, locks, DOGS, you name it!! Whatever it takes to stop a mother-fukker from taking your shit. 

Now u like dogs lmfao , you.are bi polar and bi sexual !!!