78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

19 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Car parts. Steel mills. And other big union shops.  It was a perk for the employees kids. Don’t you remember all those teenagers driving 3-4 year old cars to college and university? Well over half the kids in the 80’s that I knew had cars at school. I thought Apprentices use to get paid lower than average. I always thought it was a way to weed them out. Tool and die shop next door  use to lose a lot of second year people because they could get an extra buck an hour running a forklift. He figured if they couldn’t lose now to gain in a year they were too stupid for the job. 

I worked in a car parts plant for 17yrs...the students were not making that kind of money in the 80s

16 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That’s just fucked. 

You could give most of those people $10,000 per month and they’ll still live paycheque to paycheque. They’ll just buy more shit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

You could give most of those people $10,000 per month and they’ll still live paycheque to paycheque. They’ll just buy more shit. 

Live for today.

6 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

:goodpost:

47 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

When almost 80% of your population has little to no savings, it's probably not something that can be blamed on individuals like is being done right now.

I'd hazard a guess that there's something systemic going on here...

Well, for it to be proven a "systematic problem", it would have to go like this: everybody surrenders everything and receives the same exact monetary allowances.  All cost of living items/staples are frozen.  In one year, is everyone in the same financial position?  (You don't have to answer).

Bottom line is, majority of people in any society will always be living "paycheck to paycheck".  I know more than a few making big fucking bank that are about a month from losing it all if their income dries up.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well, for it to be proven a "systematic problem", it would have to go like this: everybody surrenders everything and receives the same exact monetary allowances.  All cost of living items/staples are frozen.  In one year, is everyone in the same financial position?  (You don't have to answer).

Bottom line is, majority of people in any society will always be living "paycheck to paycheck".  I know more than a few making big fucking bank that are about a month from losing it all if their income dries up.

Yep, all big ballers, financed to the max

Just now, racer254 said:

Yep, all big ballers, financed to the max

Yep.  Fucking banking coin and went the "I'm not using my own money when financing is cheaper/easier".  :wall:   One lost everything (including his wife) during the last fuckery and is now back on top with a house on the coast and just bought a new Porsche (and a new hot little finance..whew!). 

But, retards gonna retard...it's just at the levels they can "retard" at that make the difference.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Yep.  Fucking banking coin and went the "I'm not using my own money when financing is cheaper/easier".  :wall:   One lost everything (including his wife) during the last fuckery and is now back on top with a house on the coast and just bought a new Porsche (and a new hot little finance..whew!). 

But, retards gonna retard...it's just at the levels they can "retard" at that make the difference.

Youve never taken advantage of no payments for whatever deals?

I have.

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Just saying this the other day.  You almost 

never see kids driving  around in  beater cars .   High school parking lot  is like a new car lot.  When I was in school no one drove new cars, even  kids who’s parents had money were not driving current models.   

:bc:

i thought my brother was the biggest baller when he had his route.  Had the little change thingy on his belt.  

Yeah we all drove beaters. We had 2 rich kids whose parents bought them new cars when they turned 16. One of them wrecked it within a week. 

A fairly young welder (early 30's) I work with was complaining that it sucks to live pay cheque to pay cheque. He said $5000 take home a month isn't enough.....

1 minute ago, Tomas. said:

A fairly young welder (early 30's) I work with was complaining that it sucks to live pay cheque to pay cheque. He said $5000 take home a month isn't enough.....

If hes in the patch....thats not much.

You have to take in the down time for break ups and such.

Just now, DAVE said:

If hes in the patch....thats not much.

You have to take in the down time for break ups and such.

This is at a shop basically in Edmonton. Home every night. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Youve never taken advantage of no payments for whatever deals?

I have.

Well, of course I have.  But I made sure it stays to my "advantage".  Now, I just don't care enough to keep up with it.  Also, I'm not talking about short term financing offers.  

• Like 1

I'm not surprised by this number at all.

On one hand, wages/COL doesn't help, but at the same time, I see how people spend their money and that doesn't help matters.

Examples:

-Pull-tabs/lotto tickets.  How many times have to been out and seen someone blow through a quick $100+ on the rippers & scratchers?  Watched it yesterday at a trailside stop. 

-A old co-worker always was living paycheck to paycheck, but could ride the barstool all night long after work and always had money for a couple packs of smokes every day.  He lives the vending machine lyfe at work.  I'm sure it hasn't changed in the 2 years I've been gone from there.  

-Friend and his now ex-wife (+1 kid).  Probably were bringing in 60-70k/year combined.  Lived in a OK place, drove affordable cars, etc.  Always seemed to run short of money.  Furniture/TV on credit cards (I'm sure over 20% interest), Starbucks every morning ($1k/year+) , student loan debt for both of them, etc.  

We can all think of stuff like this.  I bet every one of us sees it daily.  

If you're making $10.50/hr filling tacos and flattening quesadillas, you are pretty much screwed unless you are splitting rent/living at home/etc, but that shouldn't exclude one from looking for ways to live a little more affordable.

Many friends my age are still working a few more years because they were divorced. A couple twice. Seems they gave away half of their retirements....lol

so my FS friends .........make good choices or marry a wealthy woman.

Now I still think 100.00 is a lot of money. 

1 hour ago, Tomas. said:

its prob not if he's got a family he's trying to support

32 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Many friends my age are still working a few more years because they were divorced. A couple twice. Seems they gave away half of their retirements....lol

so my FS friends .........make good choices or marry a wealthy woman.

Now I still think 100.00 is a lot of money. 

Yup.

5 hours ago, Tomas. said:

This is at a shop basically in Edmonton. Home every night. 

2000 for mortgage

2000 for bigass pick up with lift and tires

400 for quad and sled payment

The rest is just crumbs.

:lol:

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Trumpsters are 98% more likely to live in a trailer park. You know that. 

Lol!  I'd prefer a trailer over inner city slums.  Even if they are walking distance to Starbucks for harsh swill served up by a liberal arts major with a "Feel the Bern" t-shirt.  :lol: 

Still, I feel your numbers are skewed a bit.  But..meh.